Chapter 18

If The World Is Ending...

"Hey. How are you feeling?" Chaewon softly asked Hitomi. When she was close to the girl, she gave her a back hug. A gesture that the Japanese have always liked. "Nervous perhaps?"

 

"A little... This task is too much for a teenager, don't you agree?" Hitomi lets herself melt in her lover's embrace. "Tomorrow is judgment day for you and Minjoo... I wanna do great and be helpful. That's the least I could for you two."

 

Tomorrow will be the last day of their trial to find out if she will also be able to control blood. They will try it on a live animal to see if it would be safe to do it on a living mutant as well.

 

Chaewon turned her girlfriend around to face her and hold her face dearly, "And I know you will be but don't beat yourself too much. You did more than you think, love." Chaewon caressed her face as if it's the most precious diamond in the world. Well, Hitomi is indeed a precious diamond, the hydrokinetic is her world. "I honestly don't know what could've happened when they told us the news... You kept me going. With or without my power, you gave me a reason to keep me going and that's because you exist. I love you so much."

 

Hitomi hugged her tightly with the hope that it would convey everything she wanted to say to the latter without saying it. "And I love you, too."

 

Chaewon planted a kiss on Hitomi's temple, "Let's get you rested. You have a tiring day waiting for you tomorrow."

 

*****

 

Chaeyeon was lying beside her girlfriend who's concentratedly playing on her Switch. "Do you think Hii-chan will be successful tomorrow?" She asked.

 

"Yep! We know how she takes her task seriously no matter how hard it is for her. She'll make sure to deliver it well," Sakura answered.

 

"Hm... You're right. Hii-chan definitely got this one." Chaeyeon fixed her position and sat up, "Have you talked to Eunbi? She's been hanging out with Sian lately, it's starting to worry me."

 

Sakura put down her gaming device and cuddled her girlfriend. With these questions being asked, Sakura knew that Chaeyeon badly needs the cuddle to calm the latter's nerves. "I know we collectively don't like Sian for her but depending on what we're seeing, Sian is doing all the work for us since Eun won't talk to us. We should let her be, give the space and time she probably needs."

 

"I know... But it still doesn't ease me that Hyewon and her are avoiding each other. We're used to the fact that they both stick to each other like glue before all this mess." Chaeyeon released a heavy sigh. She turned her body around and buried her face to Sakura's neck. Letting herself drown in her girlfriend's natural scent.

 

"I'm sure they'll be fine. What we can do is support whatever path they're going to take from here." Sakura lightly brushes Chaeyeon's hair. This action made Chaeyeon's eyes feel heavy. "All will be well soon, hon. Good night," Sakura softly whispered when she felt the latter's steady breathing.

 

*****

 

"Yena... Yena?" Yuri tried calling her busy girlfriend. Yena replied with a low hum. She was busy doing her unfinished homework. Although classes are still in pause, she's bored and thought why not do it to make her feel sleepy.

 

Yuri and Chaewon agreed to switch rooms for tonight. Yuri understood that Hitomi might be under a lot of pressure and the only person who can ease that is none other than her lover.

 

"I'm curious," Yuri started. Yena puts down her pen and turns around to have all attention to her partner. "About what, babe?" Yena asked.

 

"About how you managed to convince Yujin to talk to Hye. I saw them earlier today and it looked like they were talking about something serious," Yuri answered. Yena then moved to the girl's bed, "They're just probably making up. About time if you ask me," Yena sighed.

 

"So, how did you do it? What did you tell Yujin?"

 

"I told her that if it weren't for the two, my spontaneity that day could've killed me. I told her everything that had happened in detail. How Suhyun did her best to not let anyone touch me as Kwangbae told her." Yena knew that Yuri wasn't really curious about and her girlfriend was just beating around the bush so she decided the topic on her own, "You know, thinking about that now, I realized that it was so stupid. I could've just escaped with them, sacrificing one for the lives of five people seemed reasonable but Hyewon is my best friend. I can't bring myself to leave her alone there. You know when they said that your happiest memory will flash by the moment you'll die?" Yuri nodded. She was just attentively listening to Yena the whole time.

 

"Mine didn't. What I saw was how Hyewon made our group a whole, a family. Sure we helped her but she did most of the work. Protecting the three of us the whole day without enough rest is probably tiring but she didn't show any tiredness or discomfort until we got away. She pushed herself to make sure we'll get back alive and it hit me, that without Suhyun's help, Hyewon could've also died with me because of my action. I trust Hyewon. If she believes that Suhyun is good, then I believe that she is," Yena explained. Yuri can't be more proud of her. She was never selfish and always care about others.

 

"The world doesn't deserve you to be their hero. The world is too harsh and selfish to have someone like you saving them," Yuri thought.

 

"Can you promise that you won't do something like that again? Not at least without letting me know first. I was so scared when Chaen told me you stayed with Hyewon. We haven't visited my hometown as I promised and the thought of coming home there without you hurt me. Please, Yena, promise me."

 

"I'm sorry... I promise, babe." Yena hugged Yuri to sleep. Her homework can wait. Tonight and the next day will be all about Yuri and she'll make sure that to keep her smiling. Because even she doesn't want to admit it but deep down to herself that she'll still care to what may come the following day.

 

*****

 

The next day, Hyewon was free from morning till noon since Ms. Park wanted to have a session with Suhyun alone. She busied herself in the library. She already swept half of the place looking for something interesting enough to read. She walked to the farthest bookshelf with a sigh. Hyewon then eventually gave up and just sat at the corner.

 

"You okay?" Hyewon turned where the voice came from and found Eunbi standing near. Hyewon almost threw herself at the girl right there and then if she didn't realize how awkward it would be so she stopped herself and settled with a faint, "Hi."

 

Eunbi sat next to her. "Care to share?" The older girl seemed to don't mind their lack of interaction recently. "How are you holding up?" She asked.

 

"I'm... doing fine, I guess. I miss Yujin the most. Next to you, of course," Hyewon whispered the last part but Eunbi heard it and brought a smile on her face.

 

"She misses you too," Eunbi replied. "So, what are you doing here? Where's Suhyun?"

 

"I was bored. She's having her session with Ms. Park till noon so I thought I could look for something to read but I got nothing," Hyewon sighed. She already lost count of how many times she sighed this day.

 

"Well, I guess it's best if I get going and leave you." Eunbi stood up from the floor but Hyewon held her hand to stop her.

 

"Don't leave," Hyewon sounded small and desperate. "I mean, I could use some company instead. A book or two won't be enough to keep me busy... And I missed you anyway," Hyewon shyly added.

 

"Okay then," Eunbi smiled.

 

They didn't really talk. After Eunbi sat back down, they let the silence envelop them. This was a little different from the usual silence in their room. The awkwardness was still undeniable but the contentment of having each other was still there as well.

 

"Hye," Eunbi called and faced the younger, "I was just thinking, maybe you and Suhyun could join us later for lunch? Introduce her to the group?"

 

"I'll definitely ask her that later." Hyewon was not sure whether to ask Eunbi about her relationship with Sian, their friends have mentioned it to her once. But that was before she discover herself falling for the older girl.

 

"Ugh! Screw it! I'll ask her."

 

"Eun? What's going on with you and Sian?"

 

Eunbi was about to answer but Ms. Chou interrupted, "There you are!" Both you mutants looked up with a questioning look. "Hyewon, Ms. Park would like to see you."

 

"They're done? But it's still early?" Hyewon hesitantly stood up. She doesn't want to leave just yet. Not when she finally asked Eun about something that bothered her after they came back from their rescue mission.

 

Eunbi sensed the urgency within Ms. Chou's eye and Hyewon's hesitation, "I'll meet you later at lunch." Eunbi smiled softly at Hyewon before bidding Ms. Chou goodbye.

 

"What's this about?" Hyewon asked. The two mutants were walking hastily. Hyewon noticed that the other mutant was quieter than her usual.

 

"You already know what's this about," Ms. Chou answered almost boredly.

 

"Ah! Hyun had finally told Ms. Park. I guess it was really bound to happen," Hyewon sadly smiled at the thought.