Chapter 20

If The World Is Ending...

Eunbi woke up the next morning with a hope that it was all just a bad dream, that Hyewon and Suhyun would be eating their breakfast at the farthest table since it's still winter. To her disappointment, last night was all very real. She joined her friends who seemed normal, laughing and all noisy. They're still clueless that their dear friend just left them.

 

"You okay? You looked beat," Chaeyeon placed her hand in Eunbi’s forehead, checking the latter's temperature. "You're warm tho."

 

"Have you guys seen Suhyun and Hye? They promised to help me with shifting since it's one of Suhyun's powers," Wonyoung asked. Eunbi flinched but tried to mask it.

 

"Let's ask Ms. Park. Their sessions became unpredictable lately," Yena suggested.

 

"So they also noticed. Does it have something to do with last night?" Eunbi was lost in her own thoughts.

 

"Ms. Kwon?" Eunbi heard through her head. "Can you and your friends meet me after your breakfasts? I have something important to tell you." Eunbi didn't really need to answer. It was actually more of a command than a request but Ms. Park had always been polite so it's the choice of words is understandable.

 

"Let's drop by at Ms. Park's office," Eunbi told her friends, making it look like she supports Yena's suggestions but she was on her agenda.

 

*****

 

"How can you let her go?! They will kill her! Don't you know that?" Yena shouted.

 

Ms. Park already told the group about the two mutants' departure last night. Of course, Hyewon's friends didn't like the way she left. There were no goodbyes. They don't know where she is or will she be still alive the next day.

 

"I shouldn't have saved Suhyun! Argh!" Yena voiced her frustration. The others were still shocked and haven't had it synced in their minds.

 

"But she will come back, right?" Eunbi still asked even though she already knew the answer to that.

 

"I'm afraid she won't be. Suhyun had told me that they'll be doing far more dangerous than rescuing a friend or two," Ms. Park spoke with sadness. Wanting to let the others feel that she was upset and sad too.

 

"Why did you let her go?" Yujin finally spoke. Unlike Yena and Eunbi, Yujin's voice was flat. Emotionless. As if a robot spoke on her behalf.

 

"She asked for her freedom... You know that the Academy doesn't like to make you kids think that you're all in a cage; trapped and isolated because you're different--"

 

"Then why did you let her go? She won't be having that freedom if that guy kills her first." Everyone felt the chill run through their spines. Yujin's words hit them in every way. "You practically killed her the moment you agreed," Yujin added. The mutant stood up and stormed out of the office without looking back.

 

"Oh, God! I really hate it whenever that kid makes a point," Yena groaned and chased her friend.

 

The rest then step out of the office like zombies after a few more moments. Eunbi was the last one to exit. She stooped midway and looked at the Headmaster, "Whatever her reason was, I hope you tried to make her realize the other possibilities of having a different approach."

 

"I did, Eunbi. And there's no other way, believe me. The only thing we can do now is hope that she'll be safe and succeeds," Ms. Park sadly smiled.

 

Eunbi then closed the door and walked back to her room. She was surprised that Sian was there, lying on her bed.

 

"What are you doing here?"

 

"You're back," Sian sat up. "I found this letter in my room but it has your name on it so I thought the sender was mistaken and I took the initiative to give it to you," Sian hands Eunbi the sealed envelope. "Don't worry, I didn't read except for your name on its envelope."

 

When Eunbi opened the letter, it was as if the dam released water.

 

"Dearest Eunbi,

 

I'm sorry if I have to leave everyone like this. It's the only safest and effective way I can think of. Knowing that either Yena, Yujin, or Chaeyeon would bother me to tag along, this is indeed my last sensible option. I don't want to put anyone's life in danger again. None of you deserves it.

 

I want to thank you for showing me a new perspective on my life. You changed me for the better. Thank you for enduring the burden; me. Thank you for keeping up with me, those nights when I'm at my weakest. It must have been hard on you to deal with someone stoic during daytime yet when the night comes, her emotions overflow. So, thank you. Thank you for being the light on my darkness, Eun.

 

Do you remember the promise that I made you swear? Looks like I'll be the one who'll break it for you. I don't want to see you or any of our friends sad because of me. I want you to continue your lives with that pretty smile on your face. All of you have a pure heart and you guys deserve the best. Please keep in mind that it's no one's fault. It's my choice, okay? And by the way, I'm sorry that this is how I'm confessing. I like you, Kwon Eunbi. I'd choose 5 Eunbis over 5-year-old Eunbis, anytime. Please be happy with Sian or whoever. That's all I want.

 

 

Love,

Hyewon"

 

Eunbi broke down. Kneeling on the floor while she holds Hyewon’s letter close to her chest while she calls the latter's name over and over. Sian hurriedly helped her to the bed. Eunbi didn't stop crying until she fell asleep.

 

Sian left the girl for a while after making sure that Eunbi is in deep slumber. She went to Eunbi’s friends and informed them about what happened.

 

"I'll leave you guys for a while," Sian sympathized. She can't think of anything to do to help them.

 

They all stayed quiet. Everyone read Hyewon's letter already. Some cried but most of them feel numb. They can never imagine what Eunbi’s feeling. They made jokes about the two but everyone imagined them as the cringe, happy couple.

 

"Why? That's all that I want to know... Why does she have to leave?" Yujin's voice cracked. "How can she expect us to be happy when she just left? There's no explanation in this," Yujin waved the letter.

 

"None of us knew, Jin." Chaeyeon moved close to her and embraced her.

 

"Was it me? Did I go too far when I ignored her?" Yujin's cry hit them differently. Out of everyone, Yujin and Yena were the closest to the latter other than Eunbi.

 

"Shh... It wasn't your fault, okay? She made it clear, didn't she? It was no one's fault." Chaeyeon continued to comfort the younger mutant.

 

*****

 

"I legitimately thought that you ran away. Thank goodness you proved me wrong, Hyun." The doctor patted Suhyun's head. "You ungrateful kid," Dr. Kang slapped her daughter as soon as she got close. "Take her to her cell. From this day forward, that person is not one of us anymore. She's just our prisoner."

 

Suhyun wanted to stop them but the action would arouse suspicions and could possibly lead them to fail their plan.

 

"I thought we're not releasing the mutant till I come back? She was all over the news!" Suhyun changed the topic.

 

"As I said, I thought you ran away. You can't possibly blame me for feeling insecure. You took so long."

 

"Why are you even rushing?"

 

"Because Suhyun, I had a dream... A dream where the world begged for my mercy and I can't help it to make it come true," the doctor laughed maniacally.

 

"Yep, Ms. Park was right. Dad has definitely a lot of issues to be fixed," Suhyun thought to herself and made her way to check on Hyewon at her cell.