Chapter 25

Wait For Me To Come Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What the ?”

The startled yell woke Yewon up and she shot up in bed, clutching the blankets to her chest. Eunha moved next to her, slowly waking up and on the other side Sojung was staring at Yewon with confusion.

“Morning,” Eunha mumbled, propping herself up and kissing Sojung good morning.

“Well, it’s definitely an unusual morning,” Sojung spluttered. “I mean, I wasn’t expecting to wake up spooning my girlfriend’s sister’s girlfriend.”

“Sorry,” Yewon mumbled, rubbing her tired eyes. “My crying was keeping Eunha awake.

“Good thing I don’t sleep ,” Sojung laughed, pulling back the covers and getting out of bed. “That would’ve been awkward for everyone.”

Yewon rolled her eyes and got out of the other side of the bed, waiting for Eunha to move out so she could fix the bed. The other two girls walked into the kitchen and Yewon listened to them, talking as they walked down the hallway, thinking what to make for breakfast. Yewon neatly arranged the pillows before slipping out of Eunha’s room and walking down the hallway.

“Coffee?” Sojung asked, holding the pot up.

“Um...sure,” Yewon replied, walking over to the kitchen and accepting a cup off Sojung. Eunha was busy making eggs and she looked over her shoulder, facing Yewon.

“Do you want cereal? Toast? Eggs on toast?” Eunha asked her.

“I’m fine, thank you. I- uh...should get going, I need to go into the office,” Yewon said, giving her a grateful smile.

“Christ, Kim, give yourself a day at least before you drown yourself in work,” Sojung told her exasperatedly.

“I have a board meeting tomorrow that I need to prepare for,” Yewon shrugged.

“At least have some breakfast before you do,” Eunha told her, handing Sojung a plate of toast. Sojung sat down at the table to eat her breakfast, and Yewon Yewon followed her over with her coffee.

“I’ll even share my granola with you, but only this once, so I’d take me up on it if I were you,” Sojung told her with a grin. Yewon rolled her eyes, taking a sip of her coffee.

“Fine, I’ll stay for breakfast,” Yewon said, giving in to their nagging. She left her cup on the table and walked into the kitchen to grab something.

“What do you want?” Eunha asked her, sliding her own scrambled eggs onto a plate with toast. “Do you want me to make you some eggs?”

“It’s fine, I can make my own. Go and eat yours before it gets cold,” Yewon told her, putting down two slices of bread in the toaster. She made herself some eggs and carried them over to the table. The three of them chatted as they ate, and things almost felt like every other morning, except for the empty space that Eunbi usually occupied.

Yewon washed their dishes while Eunha and Sojung got ready for work, trying to keep themselves occupied. Doing the dishes ended up not being the best idea though because though it kept her hands busy, her mind was free. And all she could think of was how Eunbi would usually be sneaking up behind her, planting kisses on Yewon’s neck as she tried to distract her.

She was standing next to the kitchen counter, dressed in yesterday’s clothes and holding the photo album and letter carefully. Sojung and Eunha reappeared, both halfway through getting ready for work. Yewon cleared softly, looking at them both as Sojung tucked in her shirt and attached her badge and Eunha sat down at the table to put her boots on.

“I should probably go...so..um..thanks for breakfast..and for everything else,” Yewon said slowly, not sure how to say goodbye. They both looked up and gave her a smile.

“No problem,” Eunha said, standing back up and fixing the collar on Sojung’s shirt. “Just try and take it easy today, okay?”

“Yes boss,” Yewon laughed quietly, knowing that she was going to throw herself into her work as much as possible so she wouldn’t have to miss Eunbi, even if it was just for a moment. When she got home she knew it would all come crashing down, so if throwing herself into statistics and blueprints would give her some sort of relief, she was going to take it.

“I- um...I guess I’ll see you soon then,” Yewon said hesitantly as Eunha walked her to the door. She wasn’t sure when she would see Eunha again, but she assumed that Eunbi had asked her to check up on Yewon every once in a while, so she figured that she would see her in a few weeks or so.

“Yeah, have a good day at work,” Eunbi told her with a smile.

Yewon smiled back sadly. She would miss spending time at the apartment with Eunha and Sojung. In a way, she was losing everyone, not just Eunbi. “Yeah, you too,” Yewon told Eunha, before peeking around her and waving to Sojung.

“Bye guys.”

~

~

By noon Yewon was already wallowing in her misery as she pored over files in front of her. She had highlighted a few of the issues she wanted to bring up tomorrow, but that was as far as she had gotten. She couldn’t help but think about what Eunbi was doing. It would be nighttime where she was at, and she should be arriving soon if she didn’t already. Yewon wasn’t sure how long it would be before Eunbi could contact her.

The door to her office opened and Solar walked in with Yewon’s lunch; a Caesar salad instead of whatever fried or fatty thing Eunbi would usually bring her. Solar set it down on the desk for Yewon, giving her boss a concerned look before she turned to walk back out. It was no secret to Yewon’s employees that she was dating Eunbi, and Solar knew the circumstances of their relationship better than anyone in the building.

“Solar.”

Her assistant slowly paused her walk and turned around to look at Yewon, with a mildly surprised expression. “Yes, Miss Kim?” she asked, waiting for Yewon’s request or message.

“Can you please call my mother and ask her to have someone find some of my childhood photos and send them to me,” Yewon asked her.

“Oh, yes, of course. Right away ma’am,” Solar replied, rushing off to do Yewon’s request. It was the first thing Yewon had asked her to do all day, and Solar was glad of it. She was very protective of Yewon, even if she only saw Solar as her assistant.

“And Solar,” Yewon called out, stopping her again as she reached the door and turned back around. “Thank you.”

Solar smiled at her and gave her a small nod before walking out.

Fifteen minutes later Yewon got a phone call. Her heart leaped at the sound of it vibrating, and she lunged for it, alms upsetting her glass of water in her rush. She was filled with bitter disappointment as she looked down at her mom’s name lighting up the screen.

“Yes?” Yewon said icily as she answered.

“You could at least attempt to be polite,” Sunmi replied coolly.

“I’m busy, I don’t have time for small talk,” Yewon snapped, her temper flaring up already. She was too tired and emotionally drained to deal with her mom right now.

“Planning for the board meeting tomorrow, I know,” Sunmi said, “I just wanted to call and let you know that I’ll be in town tomorrow for the meeting, and I’ll bring the photos you asked for with me.”

Yewon paused for a moment before replying. “What’s the catch,” She asked suspiciously. She heard Sunmi’s exasperated sigh on the other end of the call, but she didn’t try to lie to Yewon.

“I’ll give them to you over lunch,” Sunmi told her.

“Lunch?” Yewon laughed, “You’re going to blackmail me with lunch?”

“Really Yewon,” Sunmi sighed, “Why do you have to see it as blackmail? Am I not allowed to ask for a favor as small as lunch with my daughter in return?”

After a moment, Yewon sighed, agreeing that it was a fair trade. She really wanted those photos.

“Fine. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

She hung up without waiting for Sunmi to reply and dropped her phone on her desk. Putting her head in her hands, Yewon sat like that for a few minutes, massaging her head as she took a deep breath. The sound of her phone vibrating again solicited a heavy sigh, and Yewon went to click ignore before she realized that it wasn’t her mom.

This time the paperwork wasn’t so lucky as Yewon rushed to answer the phone, knocking over the glass of water, and hitting a stack of papers that fell to the floor, along with Yewon’s phone. Yewon dived to the floor in a panic, scrambling to answer the call.

“,” she swore, grabbing the damp papers into a pile and picking up pieces of the glass as the video call connected. “”

“I thought you would be happy to see me”

Yewon let out a breathless sob at the sound of Eunbi’s voice, tears springing to her eyes as she picked up the phone. There she was, smiling widely at Yewon, even if she looked like she hadn’t slept for days.

“Are you sitting on the floor?”

“Oh god, oh my god,” Yewon cried, fully sinking down to the floor as she took in the sight of Eunbi on her screen. “I’m sorry I’m crying, I’m just so overwhelmed right now, and I miss you and I love you.”

“I miss you and love you too,” Eunbi laughed, her own eyes shining with tears, shifting slightly as she adjusted her position. “Sorry I couldn’t call when I landed, this is the first free moment I’ve gotten since I got here.”

“It’s fine, I knew you would have to get settled in first,” Yewon told her, smiling through her tears. “I’m just so relieved to see your face, I can’t stop thinking about you.”
“I can’t stop thinking about you too,” Eunbi told her, “On the first flight I cried the entire time. In the end, I had to ask for two sleeping pills from the lady next to me so I could knock myself out. I thought I would never stop.”

“Oh yeah? Well, I ended up in bed with your sister and Sojung because my crying was keeping her awake,” Yewon la

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter