Chapter 8

Wait For Me To Come Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning Yewon was greeted by the flashing of camera and shouts of reporters as she arrived outside of Kim-Corp. Stepping out into the rain, she was bombarded by a million questions, each one more indistinguishable as the reporters yelled over one another. One of the building’s security guards were outside waiting, and quickly escorted her past the press whilst she avoided talking to them. Whatever they were here for was of no importance to her; it must have been a slow news day because she hadn’t done anything lately that warranted attention.

Walking out of the elevator she handed her coat and bag to Solar and walked towards her office. Solar trailed in after her a few moments later.

“Here’s your juice Miss Kim; spinach, celery, and green apple today,” Solar informed her, handing her a cup of the green juice, along with the tablet of today’s schedule. She held her hand out expectantly for the newspaper too, but Solar didn’t hand it to her, her hand went back to tapping away at her tablet.

Yewon sat herself down behind her desk, taking a sip as she looked down at the screen. Sighing as she scrolled through the day packed with endless meetings.

“Paper?” Yewon asked, raising one of her eyebrows as Solar clutched Yewon’s morning newspaper to her chest.

“Oh, right...well there’s been an incident-” Solar started and Yewon sighed, reaching out and taking the newspaper off her. Solar’s rambling trailed off into silence as she watched Yewon unfold the paper and stare down at the front page.

 

‘Lovestruck Kim’

 

The title was written in large letters across the top of the front page, along with a picture of Eunbi kissing Yewon beneath the heading. Yewon’s heart started racing; she had forgotten that they had been in a packed baseball stadium with thousands of other people. Just because she was dressed down and wasn’t sitting in the front row, didn’t mean that people wouldn’t have picked up on the fact that she was Kim Yewon. Somehow, being with Eunbi had made Yewon forget all about her highly publicized life.

“That’ll be all,” Yewon directed towards Solar as she shook out the pages. Solar didn’t need to be told twice and quickly rushed out of the office, hoping that she could blend into the background for the rest of the day. Yewon was an indifferent persona at the best of times, but front-page articles and gossip was a sure way to put her in a bad mood.

Yewon was halfway through the article when her phone started vibrating. She looked down and her frown turned into a slight smile when she saw Eunbi’s name, quickly across to answer it.

“Good morning,” Yewon greeted her, picking up her juice as she stared down at the picture from the front page.

“Um, have you seen the news yet? Eunbi's anxious voice came through.

“If you’re referring to the photo of you kissing me, then yes. I’m staring at the paper right now,” Yewon mused.

“Y-You don’t sound mad,” Eunbi said hesitantly.

“Mad? Why would I be mad?” Yewon asked her forehead knitting together in confusion.

“There’s a picture of us...kissing, on the front page of every major news outlet in the city,” Eunbi stated as if Yewon was missing something.

“I mean, they could’ve been a bit more original with the title, but if you think this is bad, you should find some of the articles from when my brother blew himself up,” Yewon laughed bitterly. “But honestly, why would I be mad? For all, they know that was just a kiss between friends. Imagine what they would be saying if they saw the other kiss,” Yewon smiled as she thought about it. She had been thinking about it all day and night.

“I just- I feel bad. I know you’re a private person and this is probably the exact opposite of keeping a low profile,” Eunbi said worriedly and Yewon could picture her fidgeting as she paced back and forth.

“It’s fine, Eunbi. It’s not the first time I’ve been photographed kissing someone, I just forgot that we were in a very public place, or I would’ve told my publicist. We’ll just have to be more careful next time,” Yewon reassured Eunbi.

“Next time?” And Yewon could hear the smile in Eunbi’s voice.

“I- well I think I made it quite clear the other night...but perhaps I could make it clearer,” Yewon flirted, smiling to herself as she thought about Eunbi.

“Oh! I- well, yeah that would- that would be...good,” Eunbi stammered, taken aback by Yewon’s flirty tone.

“Did you- um, we can get lunch, if you want to?” Eunbi asked.

Yewon closed her eyes as she threw her head back against the headrest. She sighed deeply. “Lunch might not be the best idea actually. I’m sorry, I just have meetings all day and there’s a crowd of reporters outside my office right now,” Yewon explained apologetically.

“It’s no problem, really. We can just wait for this to blow over. Maybe give it a week or so,” Eunbi suggested. Yewon frowned slightly.

“I’m not going to wait a week to see you again. I just meant that lunch was off the table for today, but we could have dinner tonight at my place,” Yewon suggested, tapping her fingers nervously as she waited for Eunbi’s answer.

“Dinner sounds great!” She replied enthusiastically, “Did you- am I cooking?”

Yewon let out a small laugh which turned into a groan. “Please let it go. I’ve never so much as a toast before. I’m a privileged mess,” Yewon grumbled.

“Well I can cook if you don’t want to order take-out,” Eunbi proposed.

“Hmm, cooking sounds like a great idea. Who knows, maybe I can learn how to boil water properly,” Yewon replied, rolling her eyes.

“Great! What time did you want me to come over? Eunbi asked.

“Well I can leave a bit early, say 5:00, and you can over any time after that,” Yewon told her. The door to her office opened as Solar poked her head inside, signaling the start of Yewon’s first meeting for the day. She held up one finger, and Solar nodded, leaving to tell the person she would just be a moment.

“As much as I would prefer to talk to you all morning, my first meeting is about to start,” Yewon sighed into the phone.

“Okay, I’ll see you tonight then!” Eunbi chirped into the phone, already excited about tonight. “Have a good day!”

“You too,” Yewon smiled slightly, a warm feeling spreading inside her as she hung up.

That feeling didn’t last long though as she got up and smoothed her shirt of wrinkles, waiting to greet the person about to walk into her office. Hopefully, the meetings wouldn’t be too tedious.

~

~

Yewon got home a little after five. She peeled off her wet coat and slipped her heels off by the door. At least with all this rain, she wouldn’t have to water the plants today. She had a quick shower to warm herself up and dressed in something more casual.

Sitting on one of the stools lining the kitchen counters, Yewon made herself busy with some reports that needed reviewing. She didn’t get very far into them before there was a knock on the door. Smiling to herself, she walked over to the door, pulling it open to reveal Eunbi. She was standing there smiling and dripping wet, holding a bouquet of flowers and a bag full of groceries.

“Hi!” She smiled, leaning in to kiss Yewon on the cheek, “These are for you.”

“Hi, thank you,” Yewon smiled shyly, taking the flowers and opening the door wider. “Come in, please.”

Eunbi hung her coat up next to Yewon’s and slipped her shoes off before following her down the hallway. She was shivering slightly as she walked behind Yewon.

“Did you know there’s a car parked across the street with a guy and a massive camera?” Eunbi asked, her teeth chattering slightly.

“Of course there is,” Yewon sighed wearily, “They’re probably hop

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter