Chapter 29

Wait For Me To Come Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica stayed for a few more days, before returning back. Yewon had spent a lot of time at Eunha’s during Jessica’s stay, keeping her company while Eunha was at work. Before leaving, Jessica made Yewon promise again that she would come to her with Eunha and Sojung, and Yewon agreed that she would.

She spoke to Eunbi at every possible moment, and she would end up having to force Eunbi to hang up and go to sleep. Yewon suspected that Eunbi felt guilty about disappearing for two days, even if it wasn’t her fault, and she was trying to make up for it by spending all of her free time talking to her family.

By the end of the following week, everyone had relaxed slightly, feeling like the danger had passed for the time being. Eunbi was safe for now and everyone could breathe a little easier. Feeling less stressed, and less likely to break down writing it, Yewon decided to write a letter back to Eunbi.


 

To my sweet angel Eunbi,

Well, two can play this game, my dear. If you want cheesy nicknames, then I’ll give you cheesy nicknames, honey. I wish you were here so I could call you then myself, sweetheart. I miss you more every single day or single moment that passes my love.

To be honest, I’m terrified. This is the first time in my life that I’ve ever known real fear. It wasn’t even two days, yet they were the worst two days of my life. You know I’ve never been an optimist, so of course, my mind went straight to the worst thing I could imagine. I hope I never have to feel that way again. More importantly, I hope you never have to go through anything like that again, because, without a doubt, it would have been a thousand times worse for you to live through what was happening. I can’t help but wish I was next to you, so I could hold you in my arms and never let go, my little pancake (is that a term of endearment? How do people say these things seriously?). Perhaps I should enlist in the army too, wouldn’t that be a sight to see.

I’m going to visit your mom in a couple of weeks, with Eunha and Sojung. I’m grateful for your family, and I know you can understand it when I say how wonderful they are. I’m grateful for you too, for giving me a chance to understand what it’s like to have a real family with people who care about you. I don’t know if I told you that before, but I really am thankful for them, and to you. More than ever. I don’t think you understand how much you’ve really changed me.

In fact, you’ve changed me so much that I’ve actually decided to visit my mother. I know you’ll understand how big of a deal this is for me, I haven’t been back home since I was eighteen. I’ve only just decided this, so I’m sure I’ll tell you when we talk next, but I just want you to know that you have turned my whole world upside down, and I don’t know if I can go back to the way it was before. In fact, I know I can’t and I don’t want to either. So please, never scare me like that again.

I know I tell you this every time, but please, just keep your head down. Make it back to me. Please just come home safely. I love you more than all the stars in the sky (that’s cheesy too, right?)

Love you always,

Yewon

P.S. This is without a doubt the sappiest thing I’ve ever written in my life, and I know I said two could play this game, but please…don’t make me do this more than once. [A/N: I 100% agree Yewon, add most cringey thing I’ve ever written too T~T]

P.P.S. Mention this to Sojung and I’m breaking up with you (not really but I can’t think of another good threat so just go with it)


 

Yewon carefully folded the pieces of paper and slid them into an envelope, writing Eunbi’s name on the front. She would ask Solar to mail it later, along with the latest care package she put together for Eunbi. For now, she had a phone call to make.

Picking up her phone, Yewon scrolled through her contacts, her thumb hesitating before she pressed the call. It was answered on the second ring.

“Yewon?” Sunmi’s voice came through, full of surprise and concern. “Is everything okay?”

“Um...hi mom,” Yewon said after a small pause. She was wondering if she was making a mistake, but then she pushed her doubts aside. The worst that could happen would be that she just went back to ignoring Sunmi again. She had been through it before and she could handle it again.

“Everything’s okay. I- um...need your help with something,” Yewon admitted, feeling slightly guilty. She always accused Sunmi of only caring about her when she wanted something, yet here she was, using her mom for her own gain.

“Anything,” Sunmi said eagerly.

“It’s for Kim-Corp. Apparently, they’re ready to launch the latest operating system. I..uh...was going to come to you for a few days before the launch to approve everything. I was thinking that maybe you would like to...uh...come and check it out for yourself too,” Yewon quickly explained.

“You want my input?” Sunmi asked slowly.

“Yes. I would like a second opinion,” Yewon told her.

“Of course, I would be happy to give it,” Sunmi said. “The launch is next Friday. When will you be coming here?”

“Monday. Tomorrow morning,” Yewon replied.

“Will- ah..would….would you like to stay at home while you’re here? Or were you going to stay at your apartment?” Sunmi asked hesitantly.

“Home? Oh...well, I just thought I would use my apartment in the area,” Yewon said, surprised at Sunmi’s question.

“Right. Of course, I just- I know it’s hard for you to be in this house, but...if you wanted to, you could always stay here. If you don’t want to be alone.”

Yewon hesitated for a second. She had always associated her childhood home with so many bad memories. She would come home on the school holiday and sit in her room, reading books, or experimenting with the various electronics in her room. The sounds of raised voices downstairs were filled as they drifted to her room, so she could avoid the fighting for the most part. Still, she felt isolated in the big house, and she was hesitant to accept Sunmi’s offer. Yet, at the same time, Sunmi was right. Yewon didn’t want to be alone. She had been alone for so long and then came Eunbi, and now she hated the time she spent by herself in her empty apartment. At least over the course of the past week, she had come home to a wagging tail and excited footsteps running towards the door as she unlocked it.

“Um...I- well I’m not sure,” Yewon said slowly. “I- perhaps...I can try though.”

“You will?” Sunmi said, sounding shocked. “I- that would be a lot. If things...if you want to leave, you can.”

“Yeah,” Yewon mumbled in agreement. “Well..I..uh...should probably get back to work. I need to finish some paperwork before tomorrow.”

“Of course. I’ll see you tomorrow then. Bye,” Sunmi said. Yewon mumbled her own goodbye before hanging up the phone and letting out a breath she didn’t realize she had been holding, all of the tension fading away as she leaned back in her seat.

 

Tomorrow was going to be a long day.

 

~

~

Yewon attacked the dog leash to Angkko’s collar, before picking up her bag and walking over to the door as it opened. The flight hadn’t been that long, and the thought of returning to her childhood home had her wishing it had been longer.

A car was waiting for her on the runway, and the driver opened the door for her, while an attendant grabbed her case off the plane and loaded it into the trunk. Yewon fidgeted nervously in the back seat of the car, until, sensing her nervousness, Angkko laid down and put her head in Yewon’s lap. Laughing quietly, Yewon scratched the dog behind her ears. She was surprised by how quickly she had become attached to her, and Yewon finally understood why having a dog was every child’s dream. The only experience she had had with dogs, were the kind of hunting or guard dogs, and the ones her father kept weren’t exactly friendly.

Yewon grew tenser the closer they drew towards the house. The car slowed as they approached the gates to her family’s estate, and Yewon glanced out the window. She couldn’t see the house yet, they were too far away and the tree-lined driveway hid it from her view.

The gates slid open, and the driver drove through, winding along with the twists and turns of the long driveway. Yewon peered outside, looking up at the sun seeping through the branches of the trees as they formed a shadowy archway over the road. Finally, they broke through the trees and Yewon took in the sight of the mansion nestled in the middle of the open space. It was surrounded by acres of countryside, and a lump formed in Yewon’s throat at the familiar sight.

Stopping outside the house, the driver opened the car door for Yewon, helping her out before he went to fetch her bags. Yewon walked slowly up the front steps with Angkko in tow, and she nervously toyed with the locket around her neck. Hesitantly, Yewon dropped the locket and lifted her hand to knock on the front door,

Moments later, Sunmi answered it, giving Yewon a warm, yet uncertain smile, as if she was waiting for Yewon to turn around and walk away. She opened the door wider, moving to the side to let her daughter in.

“Um..hi,” Yewon said, her lips curling slightly at the corners, but not quite making a smile.

“Hi,” Sunmi said. “Don’t just stand there, come in.”

Yewon stepped over the threshold, taking in the familiar foyer of the house. Nothing had changed and she wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or not. Angkko trail

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter