Chapter 30

Wait For Me To Come Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Double Update ^^

~~~

Yewon walked down the last few steps and padded barefoot to the kitchen, yawning as Angkko came running over to her. Crouching down, Yewon made quiet cooing noises as she ruffled her fur, before straightening up.

“What on god’s earth are you wearing?” Sunmi’s voice came from behind her.

Yewon spun around, trying not to show her surprise at Sunmi sneaking up on her. She arched an eyebrow at Sunmi’s disapproving tone. “They’re called Pjs,” Yewon said.

“You look like you’re homeless,” Sunmi told her, giving Yewon a look over.

Rolling her eyes, Yewon walked over to the coffee machine and poured herself a cup. “Not everyone sleeps in designer nightdresses,” Yewon snorted.

“Well you used to,” Sunmi reminded her. “And you never complained about it.”

Yewon shrugged, she drank her coffee. In truth, she only wore sweatpants because they were Eunbi. Her drawers were still full of silk Pjs that cost more than some people made in a week. She had to admit, the sweatpants were more comfortable though.

“Whatever,” Yewon mumbled, taking her coffee over to the table and pulling the newspaper towards her. She quickly skimmed over the stories, before turning her attention to the crossword. Sunmi pulled a chair out and sat down silently, and Yewon could feel her gaze on her. Looking up, Yewon raised her eyebrows in question.

“You still do the crossword,” Sunmi said, and Yewon nodded as she looked back down and wrote the answer to five-across. The chef came in and greeted them both before she started cooking breakfast for them.

“So, what time would you like to go into the office?” Sunmi asked. Yewon shrugged, writing down another answer. “I don’t know...around ten, I guess.”

“Maybe we could have lunch together afterward,” Sunmi suggested.

“Uh, sure,” Yewon agreed. “Hey, who’s the leader of the Three Stooges?”

“Hm? Oh, it was Moe,” Sunmi said, and Yewon wrote in the answer as she mumbled her thanks.

They ate breakfast in silence, as Yewon finished the crossword and Sunmi read over some files on her research. After breakfast, Yewon walked outside with Angkko, letting her run around in the garden while Yewon stayed under the shadows.

~

~

As they walked through the front doors of the office, all heads turned to Yewon and Sunmi, some expressions of surprise flickered across some of the employees' faces. Yewon hadn’t come back to this branch since moving Kim-Corp headquarters to National City as part of her rebranding. It was a rare sight to see one Kim in the building, let alone two.

Getting into the elevator, Yewon pushed the button to take them upstairs, and they walked out onto a floor full of conference rooms. There were already people waiting for them when they walked into the room, and Yewon shook everyone’s hand before sitting down for the presentation.

She was impressed with the new version of Kim-Corp’s operating system and gave her approval for the release on Friday. Yewon had been hesitant to agree without seeing it firsthand, but it looked like the team had done a good job. Giving everyone a final goodbye, Yewon and Sunmi were left alone in the conference room to navigate the new computer software on one of the company’s laptops.

“I’m not so sure I think it’s ready yet,” Sunmi said, as Yewon clicked on different icons and opened a few programs.

“It’s fine,” Yewon said stiffly.

“Yea, it’s fine, but it’s not great. The bugs they mentioned have me concerned,” Sunmi argued.

“Well they’re already working on fixing them,” Yewon replied, “it runs well enough for a launch.”

“If you’re not going to listen to my advice then why am I here?” Sunmi asked, sounding slightly pissed off.

Yewon sighed and shut the laptop as she spun in her chair to face her mom. “Because I was trying to be nice,” Yewon admitted.

“Nice?” Sunmi echoed, letting out a sharp laugh.

“It’s my business now. I run it, and I decide when our products are released,” Yewon told her, leaving no room for argument.

“So that’s it? You’re just going to ignore my input?” Sunmi said, sounding slightly hurt.

“Wouldn’t be the first time,” Yewon mumbled, fidgeting with her hands as she looked down. They were both quiet for a moment as both of them thought about previous arguments that they have had, feeling more irritated by the second.

“Well, it’s obvious that you’re just going to do what you want like you always do,” Sunmi said, her jaw tightening as her icy persona took over.

“What do you mean ‘like I always do’?” Yewon said, her anger flaring up at Sunmi’s tone.

“Oh please, you’ve never listened to anything I’ve told you in your life,” Sunmi said, laughing coldly. “Every single time I’ve ever tried to help you, you get angry. I’m just trying to help you.”

“You never say something just to help!” Yewon exclaimed, shooting up out of her chair as she yelled. “All my life you’ve only ever done anything for me if you could gain something from it!”

“Yewon-” Sunmi interrupted with a warning in her tone.

“No!” Yewon yelled at her. “You have never once been supportive of me. You criticize everything I do. You second guess every decision that I make. If I pushed back the release you would have said I was being too cautious or-or too much of a perfectionist. I can’t win with you!”

“That’s not wh-” Sunmi tried to protest, but was cut off by Yewon again.

“You know what, just...forget it,” Yewon muttered, all of her anger seeping out of her as she picked her bag up and stormed out of the office.

~

~

“I thought you would be gone by now,” Sunmi said with surprise as she walked out into the back garden. Yewon let the arrow loose as she jumped slightly at Sunmi’s silent approach. It sailed over the target and into the bushes behind it.

“I considered it,” Yewon replied curtly, reaching for another arrow as she waited for Sunmi’s reply.

“I didn’t realize you were still into archery,” Sunmi murmured, wandering closer.

“I’m not. I sound my old equipment in the shed,” Yewon said, fitting the arrow into the bow and raising it. When she was younger, Yewon had begged her parents to let her try archery. Luckily, Sunmi has seen archery as a respectable pastime for someone of their social class and had given in to Yewon’s begging.

“Your elbow is dropping,” Sunmi said, watching Yewon’s form. Lifting her elbow up so her arm was parallel with the ground, Yewon aimed at the target she had set up, and let the arrow loose. It sank into the target, hitting the yellow area.

“Not bad,” Sunmi murmured, and Yewon nodded.

“So, is there a reason why you’re out here?” Yewon asked, cutting to the chase.

“I wanted to apologize,” Sunmi said slowly.

Yewon was silent for a moment as she shot another arrow. “Was that the apology? She asked her mom, turning away from the target and raising an eyebrow.

“No,” Sunmi answered stiffly. “I’m sorry.”

“I’m sorry too,” Yewon muttered, fiddling with the bowstring as she avoided her mom’s gaze. “I was acting childish because you weren’t on my side, and I was hoping you would be. I was hoping things would be different this time.”

“I am on your side, Yewon. Things are different, I just wish you would believe that” Sunmi sighed. “I’m trying to help you make the best decisions for the company too.”

“But that’s not what I think is the best decision,” Yewon argued, throwing her arms up in frustration.

“Well then just ignore my input like you always do,” Sunmi told her, exasperatedly.

“There you go again with the always!” Yewon exclaimed. “It’s always my fault, right?”

“Stop putting words into my mouth” Sunmi snapped. “I’m not blaming you for anything. Honestly Yewon, you’re always trying to push me away. It’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter