Chapter 34

Wait For Me To Come Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sound of the door opening caught Yewon’s attention. “Hello?”

Angkko ran over to the door as Yewon smiled at the sound of Eunha’s voice. Pushing herself up into a sitting position, Yewon peeked over the back of the couch, waiting for Eunha and Sojung to appear in the hallway.

“Who’s a good girl? Who’s my favorite girl,” Sojung cooed to the dog, as she emerged from the hallway. Straightening up, she met Yewon’s gaze. “Oh, and you’re here too.”

“It hasn’t even been a minute, that must be some kind of record,” Yewon laughed, rolling her eyes as she fell back against the pillows on the couch.

“How’re you doing?” Eunha asked, walking over to the couch and sitting down next to Yewon’s feet.

“She’s driving me insane,” Yewon hissed.

“Your mom?” Eunha asked, looking around. “Where is she?”

“Yes! She’s in the shower. It’s the only time she leaves me alone unless I’m sleeping. It’s only been a week and I’m not sure how much longer I can stand it,” Yewon whispered loudly.

Sojung snickered as she walked over to the couch eating some trail mix, after raiding Yewon’s cupboards for something to eat. “I can stab you again so you can go back to the hospital if you like. At least then she could only see you during visiting hours,” Sojung offered as she grinned at Yewon.

“That’s probably the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me,” Yewon said.

“So was that a yes?” Sojung asked, pulling a blade out of her pocket and flicking it open. “Where to? The same side?”

“What the , Sojung! Why the do you carry knives around with you? Put it away,” Yewon told her, looking slightly alarmed at the fact that Sojung had such easy access with a knife. If there was one person she didn’t want to be around knives, it was Sojung.

“Relax, Kim. I never leave home without a weapon, and that’s why I’ve never been stabbed before,” Sojung smirked, making herself comfortable on the other couch.

“Sure, because a knife would have helped me defend myself,” Yewon said, rolling her eyes.

“So,” Eunha said, “Are you going to show us your cool scar?” Yewon pulled the blanket off her and pulled down the waistband of her sweatpants. Peeling back the bandage, Yewon showed them the red line just above her hip.

“Sweet, you’ll get the girls with a nice scar,” Sojung said, and Yewon gave her an exasperated look.

“Yeah, because a new girlfriend is exactly what I’m looking for,” Yewon said sarcastically as Sojung laughed.

“So, how was the holiday?” Yewon asked, sitting upright and putting her feet on the ground. She held back a groan as she tried to push herself up and was stopped halfway by Eunha, who gently but firmly pushed her back down onto the couch.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Eunha sternly asked her.

“I was going to make us some coffee,” Yewon said with a sigh. “I’m not helpless, Eunha. I don’t need you babying me too.”

“Well, I told my sister that I would look after you while she’s away so how about you sit your down and stop trying to do things,” Eunha said, getting to her feet.

“Excellent advice,” Sunmi’s voice came from behind them as she emerged from the kitchen. “Good morning, it’s lovely to see you both again. How did you enjoy Korea?”

“Hi,” Eunha said, walking over to the kitchen. “It was better than I could ever have imagined. Coffee?”

“That would be lovely, thank you,” Sunmi said, giving her a small smile. “Yewon, do you want your pain meds now?”

“No!” Yewon grumbled, “I told you I don’t want to take them anymore.”

“Well you have to,” Sunmi said impatiently. “Either you take them now, or I’ll get Jessica to come and give them to you because you never argue with her about it.”

“That’s because you both gang up on me so I don’t really have a choice,” Yewon muttered, scowling at Sojung who was laughing.

“Exactly, so why don’t you save yourself and Jessica the trouble, and just take them now,” Sunmi sighed.

“Fine,” Yewon snapped.

“I’m just trying to help you, Yewon,” Sunmi told her, rolling her eyes at Yewon’s attitude. “You need to take them with food, so what do you want for breakfast?” Yewon shrugged indifferently, crossing her arms and sliding farther down the couch. She could hear Sunmi mumbled something indistinguishable and rolled her eyes as she looked at Sojung, who threw a peanut at Yewon while she laughed.

Yewon was flipping Sojung off when Sunmi walked over with a glass of water and two pills. “Yewon! Behave yourself,” Sunmi scolded her, frowning at her daughter as she placed the glass and the pills on the coffee table.

Rolling her eyes, Yewon let out a heavy sigh.

“And for heaven’s sake, stop sighing,” Sunmi tutted, walking back to the kitchen. Eunha walked over a few minutes later, juggling three cups of coffee which she carefully placed on the coffee table.

“Do you girls want something to eat?” Sunmi asked Eunha and Sojung as she looked in the fridge.

“No thank you,” Eunha replied, and Sojung agreed similarly, content with her bag of trail mix for the time being.

Sunmi brought Yewon her breakfast and Yewon mumbled her thanks. She took a bit to satisfy Sunmi and turned her attention back to Eunha and Sojung. “So, what did you guys do over there? Tourist things?” Yewon asked, delicately arching an eyebrow.

“Mhm, we went around many places, we went to Jeju for a bit to pick some tangerines. Oh, we also went to Busan for the beaches, it was so beautiful...that was until Sojung pushed me in.”

Yewon snorted with laughter, shaking her head as she reached towards the coffee table to exchange her plate for her cup, wincing as pain seared through her stomach as her skin pulls at the stitches.

“Don’t!” Sunmi yelled. “You’re going to rip your stitches out if you keep that up.”

“Can’t I do anything?” Yewon asked, throwing her hands up in frustration, Eunha leaned forward and picked the cup up for her, and Yewon mumbled her thanks as she accepted it.

“No, not until you get your stitches out,” Sunmi told her.

“That’s going to be another week!” Yewon whined. “I have a business to run, mom.”

“And you can do that from home if it’s that important,” Sunmi replied sternly.

Yewon huffed as she frowned down at her cup of coffee. “You would think I was almost in the grave, by the way, you’re treating me. I’ve had papercuts worse than this, honestly.”

“Stop being so stubborn,” Eunha told her, giving Yewon a warning look. “Hey, Sojung, why don’t you go and get Yewon her gift. It might cheer her up a little.”

“Oh! Right! One second,” Sojung said, laughing quietly to herself as she jumped off the couch and walked down the hallway to where Eunha had left her bag. She came back a moment later, and Yewon could see the carefully folded white fabric held in Sojung’s hands.

“Ta-da!” Sojung exclaimed with a laugh as she held the shirt up for Yewon to see. “I had it custom-made for you.”

Yewon covered with her hand as she laughed at the shirt. The front of it had ‘stabbed here’ written on it with two arrows pointing to the middle of the stomach. “Thanks, I love it,” Yewon laughed, catching it as Sojung threw it at her.

“You all have a terrible sense of humor,” Sunmi sighed, shaking her head at the three laughing girls.

“Oh come on, it’s funny!” Yewon said, rolling her eyes at Sunmi’s unimpressed expression. She stripped off the shirt she was already wearing and pulled the new one on.

“Just take the damn pills Yewon,” Sunmi sighed, looking at her expectantly.

“Fine,” Yewon grumbled, starting to reach for the pulls and water until Eunha gently slapped her arm, making her withdraw. She picked them up for Yewon, exchanging the cup of coffee she was holding with the water and pills. Quickly popped the pills in and washed them down with water, feeling the burn of Sunmi’s eyes on her.

“Did you swallow them?” Sunmi asked suspiciously as Yewon put the glass on the floor.

“Yes,” Yewon sighed, rolling her eyes. Eunha leaned forward and grabbed Yewon’s face between her hands, trying to get her to open up so she could check.

“Eunha! Get your ing hands out of my mouth,” Yewon spluttered, hitting Eunha’s hands away from her face.

“Yewon, language?” Sunmi scolded her while Sojung sat next to her sniggering quietly.

“I don’t believe you,” Eunha said, “Open your mouth,”

“Fine!” Yewon said, rolling her eyes as she opened .

“I’m not stupid, life your tongue dip,” Eunha muttered, rolling her eyes at Yewon.

“Okay fine, they’re under my tongue,” Yewon admitted sheepishly.

“For god’s sake, Yewon. Just swallow the pills!” Sunmi exclaimed. “Why are you fighting me on this!”

“I already told you I don’t want to take them! You know they make me drowsy!” Yewon yelled, even as she swallowed the hidden pills.

“That’s the whole point kid,” Sojung told her, and Yewon scowled at her as she sulked. It didn’t take long for the dull pain to subside and Yewon was grateful for the momentary relief. She hated taking strong painkillers, even though she knew it was necessary, and she couldn’t argue that they were effective. She just wished she could get back to work, or that Sunmi would let her at least get up off the couch; Yewon was sick of watching TV all day.

“She was sluggishly listening to the conversation going on around her as the drugs worked their magic when her phone started vibrating on the arm of the couch. Yewon picked it up and listened to the person on the other end. The call only lasted a few minutes, and she hung up and gave Eunha a wide smile.

“Guess who’s now officially the owner of a new building,” Yewon told her.

“Are you serious?” Eunha smiled back at her excitedly.

“Mhm. I guess you can move out now,” Yewon said, smiling at Sojung.

“Sunmi listened with interest, putting the pieces together by herself as Eunha and Sojung excitedly talked. Yewon felt happy for them, and she also felt happy about the fact that when Eunbi came home they would hopefully be doing the same thing.

Eunha and Sojung left not long after, leaving Yewon to get some rest which she whined about. They promised they would be back in the evening with Jessica for dinner, Sunmi had apparently invited them all over, and Yewon was grateful for it. Jessica had been over every day, making sure that Yewon was okay. She was going to be heading back home tomorrow afternoon.

~

~

Sunmi shook Yewon awake, and blinked away her sleepiness, Yewon looked up at her expectantly.

“It’s Eunbi,” Sunmi explained, holding out Yewon’s phone. Instantly, Yewon was wide awake and smiling widely as she reached for her phone. “Hey! Sorry I didn’t realize you were asleep. Your mom insisted on waking you up,” Eunbi said as she smiled at Yewon, her eyes crinkling at the corners in the way that Yewon loved seeing.

“She would kill me if I let her miss your call,” Sunmi said, and Yewon let out a small laugh. “I have some calls to make, just let me know if you need anything.” Yewon nodded and Sunmi left, heading towards Yewon’s office to give her and Eunbi some privacy.

“Miss you,” Yewon said, smiling at Eunbi.

“I miss you too. How are you feeling?” Eunbi asked.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter