Chapter 17

Wait For Me To Come Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning, Yewon woke up early and left Eunbi to sleep. She made a pot of coffee and took it to her office, seating herself behind her desk. She didn’t even attempt to do any work; she just stared through the open windows, watching the sunrise over the city. She was tired, but she knew she wouldn’t be able to go back to sleep. Her mind was still reeling from last night’s news.

It was around noon when Yewon heard the door open behind her. She spun her chair around, facing Eunbi who had her head poked through the gap. “Oh, there you are. I didn’t know where you were,” Eunbi said, giving Yewon a small smile.

“I didn’t want to wake you,” Yewon replied, looking down at her coffee mug as she played with the handle of the cup.

“You look tired,” Eunbi said, slipping into the room and walking over to Yewon. She sat down on the edge of her desk and Yewon’s cheek affectionately. Yewon looked up and gave her a sad smile.

“I couldn’t sleep properly,” She mumbled. Pushing her chair back, she stood up and held her hand out for Eunbi to take. “Come on, let’s get some breakfast.”

They walked out to the kitchen and Yewon opened the fridge before turning to look at Eunbi. “What do you want to eat?” Yewon asked her.

“What do you want,” Eunbi laughed, coming up behind Yewon and wrapping her arms around her waist.

“No, it’s fine. I’ll make breakfast,” Yewon insisted, “I'll have to go back to relying on my chef when you leave if I don’t learn now.”

Eunbi’s arms loosened as she pulled back. “I’m sorry,” She murmured, a lump forming in .

“Don’t apologize, it’s not your fault. They shouldn’t be allowed to just- to just tell you you’re being promoted. You should have a say in this. You should have gotten more notice,” Yewon said bitterly as she reached for a carton of eggs.

Eunbi was silent and Yewon rounded on her, taking in Eunbi’s ashamed expression. "What is it?” Yewon asked, frowning slightly as she brushed past Eunbi and pulled out a frying pan. “Scrambled or fried?”

“Fried,” Eunbi muttered, fiddling with the cuff of her shirt. She could feel the overwhelming guilt rising inside her.

“Well? What’s bothering you?” Yewon asked, raising an eyebrow at Eunbi as she waited for her to answer her other question.

“I- well...they don’t just promote you,” Eunbi said slowly, pushing her glasses up to her nose as she looked at the floor. “I-I...uh..y-you need to go to training...to become a commissioned officer. They m-make you complete a t-twelve-week course. I- it’s not...it’s not an s-sudden thing.”

Yewon turned around, growing at Eunbi. “I don’t understand. You haven’t completed the train-” She stopped at the guilty look on Eunbi’s face.

Yewon’s jaw tightened and her eyes prickled with tears. “No,” She whispered furiously.

“Yewon,” Eunbi begged, reaching out for her, but falling short as Yewon stepped away from her.

“No. Please tell me you didn’t” Yewon gasped, one hand grabbing a handful of her shirt, right over her heart, which was racing as the implication behind Eunbi’s words sank in. The other clutched the carton of eggs.

“I-I wanted to tell you,” Eunbi started, wiping the tears that had started to fall down her cheeks.

The eggs dropped to the floor, cracking on impact and oozing across the floor as Yewon stared at Eunbi with shock and hurt. She turned around and clutched the edge of the kitchen counter, her tears dripping down to the floor as she held back her sobs.

Eunbi reached out to grab Yewon’s hand, jumping back when Yewon whirled around, her eyes filled with anger. “Don’t touch me,” Yewon snapped.

Eunbi winced, taking a step backward, her bare feet slipping on the broken eggs. “I'm sorry. I’m so sorry, Yewon…” Eunbi whispered, her arms wrapping around herself, trying to keep herself from falling apart.

“You lied to me,” Yewon said, her voice cracking as she looked at Eunbi with a hurt expression on her face. “H-How could you.”

“I was waiting for the right time. I wasn’t even sure if I would complete my training,” Eunbi explained, hoping Yewon would understand.

“Twelve weeks! You had three months to tell me! When was the right time going to be?” Yewon yelled at her, running her hands through her hair and looking up at the ceiling. Her bottom lip quivered as more tears streamed down her face. “You lied to me!”

“Yewon...please. I didn’t mean to hurt you,” Eunbi crude, “I didn’t want you to worry over nothing. We hadn’t been together that long, I was scared.”

“I have been honest with you about everything,” Yewon said, “And you kept this huge thing from me. Did you even think about our relationship?”

“Of course I did!” Eunbi shouted. “I thought about it every second of my training, but this is my job, Yewon. It was going to happen eventually.”

“Yes, eventually! I thought- you- we were supposed to have more time,” Yewon retorted.

“I’m sorry. I know it was wrong to keep it from you, but I was so afraid you would leave. That it would be too much too soon. I didn’t want you to shut me out,” Eunbi said, her breathing hitching as she spoke.

“You should have trusted me,” Yewon told her, wiping at her cheeks.

“I know. I do trust you,” Eunbi told her, taking a step forward.

“Just-” Yewon began, holding a hand out to stop Eunbi from coming any closer. “Just tell me one thing; when did you know? That you were up for a promotion?”

Eunbi was silent for a moment before she took a deep breath and gave Yewon a pleading look. “There was a p-possibility when I got back, before I met you,” Eunbi admitted.

Yewon brushed her hair out of her face and crossed her arms over her chest. Taking a deep breath, she calmed herself down before speaking. “I would like you to leave,” She said, her voice barely above a whisper.

“Yewon, please,” Eunbi begged. Yewon didn’t rise from the floor to meet her gaze.

“Now, please,” She told Eunbi and somehow it was worse, that she wasn’t screaming and shouting anymore. Eunbi would have preferred it if Yewon was angry. But instead, she was quiet and firm as she asked Eunbi to leave and Eunbi knew that she wouldn’t be able to reason with Yewon now.

Not bothering

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter