Chapter 1

Wait For Me To Come Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She was sitting in the cafe, typing away at her laptop, with a coffee close at hand. Yewon rarely left her office on her lunch break, preferring to eat at the desk, but today she had been restless and went for a walk. Her stomach was rumbling by the time she had walked off her frustration, and she walked into the first cafe she saw. 

After ordering her coffee and a bagel, she sat down at a table by the window, taking in the sunlight that shined through the blinds. As she sat there, the cafe filled with people; the conversations turning into background noise as Yewon concentrated  on her work

“Excuse me?”

Yewon looked up at the sound of someone talking to her, raising one of her eyebrows. A girl stood in front of her, fidgeting as she nervously smiled at Yewon 

“Sorry, I don’t mean to interrupt you but all the other tables were full, and I was wondering if I could sit here, I mean, if this seat isn’t taken yet,” She rambled nervously, pushing her glasses up her nose.

Yewon looked at the girl in surprise, before looking around the room. Every table was packed with people, friends talking, students studying, mothers with their crying children. She realized the girl was still waiting for an answer.

“Oh, of course,” Yewon said, pulling the paperwork that was spread all over the table towards her, clearing the other half for the girl. She was shocked, Yewon knew she wasn’t the most approachable person in the room. 

The girl sat down; the chair scraping against the floor as she pulled her chair in. She took out a book and turned open to her bookmark, reading quietly, as to not disturb Yewon. 

Yewon sneaked peeks at her as she read. She had golden blonde hair pulled into a braid, and her cat-like eyes were golden brown behind her glasses. A crease formed between her eyebrows as she concentrated on the book. When the barista brought the girl’s coffee over she looked up with a small smile appearing on her face as she thanked him. Her eyes caught Yewon’s as she took a sip of her latte. Quickly returning to focus, Yewon stared at the screen of her laptop once more.

“I like your necklace,” The girl said, pointing to the little pendant hanging around Yewon’s neck.

“Thank you,” Yewon replied curtly, typing away at her keyboard.

“Where did you get it?” the girl asked.

Yewon hated being disturbed when she was working, but something about the warm smile on this stranger’s face gave Yewon a weird feeling in her stomach, replacing the usual irritation she would have felt. 

“It was a gift from my brother for my 16th birthday,” Yewon answered, her hand reaching up to touch the pendant. She wore it every day to remind herself to not follow in his footsteps.

“It’s really pretty,” The girl smiled.

Yewon gave her a small smile in return, the corner of her lips curling up slightly.

“Oh, I’m Eunbi by the way,” the girl introduced herself, sticking her hand out towards Yewon. 

“Yewon,” she replied, taking the warm hand and shaking it slightly. 

“So what are you working on Yewon?” Eunbi asked, resting her chin on her hand as she put her book down, keeping the track of the page with her hand.

“Paperwork,” Yewon told her, as she checked one of the files and compared it to what she was looking at on the screen. Making a few corrections on the paper, she looked up at Eunbi. She was staring at Yewon with a sheepish smile on her face.

“Sorry, I’m disturbing you,” She whispered loudly, “Sometimes I get carried away and talk too much.”

Yewon smiled, closing her laptop and putting her pen down. She raised an eyebrow at Eunbi, who still looked embarrassed, her cheeks pink as she drank her latte to shut herself up.

“It’s fine, I’ve been staring at numbers all day,” Yewon told her, picking up her coffee to drink. It was cold now, long forgotten as she read document after document.

“What do you do?” Eunbi asked, the question leaving before she could stop herself.

“I work for my family’s company,” Yewon expl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter