Chapter 4

Wait For Me To Come Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the middle of the week and Yewon was short-tempered after a long morning of endless meetings. She was sitting behind her desk, enjoying the peace and quiet of her lunch break as she opened her salad, and contemplating whether or not it would be acceptable for her to have a glass of wine whilst at work.

There was a knock on her door and she let out a frustrated sigh, she couldn’t even eat her meal without an interruption. (AN: Me during school, teachers don’t stop giving homework T~T )

“Yes?” she snapped, putting her fork down and rubbing her temples. She could feel a headache coming on, which was partly her fault for staying up late to finish yesterday’s paperwork. By the look of things, she would be doing the same tonight too.

Her secretary, Solar, opened the door slightly, an apologetic look on her face as she poked her head in. Yewon frowned at her, waiting for the excuse for interrupting her lunch, which had better be good.

“Sorry Miss Kim, you have a visitor,” Solar told her. 

Well tell them to make an appointment like everyone else,” Yewon snapped, sighing as she rummaged in her bag for some aspirin and got up to get a glass of water.

“Sorry Miss Kim, she told me to tell you it’s Eunbi...uh, Hwang Eunbi,” Solar said apologetically.

The jug of water thudded loudly on the tray as Yewon dropped it in surprise, a little bit of water sloshing over the sides. She smoothly picked it back up again, pouring a glass of water and downing it with the pills.

“Send her in,” Yewon told Solar, seating herself behind her desk again, arranging her skirt and trying not to fiddle.

A moment later the door opened, and Eunbi walked in, all smiles as per usual. She was holding a bouquet of white roses, and a paper bag in the other hand. The sharp edges of Yewon’s face softened as she looked at Eunbi, standing up and giving her a slight smile.

“Hi! I hope I’m not interrupting,” Eunbi smiled, walking over to Yewon’s desk.

“Not at all, you’re a welcome distraction,” Yewon asked, her fingertip pressing against one another as she stared at Eunbi over the desk.

“Oh, well nothing really, I just thought I would drop by and see you, now that I know where you work and all,” Eunbi smiled, her nose wrinkling. Yewon’s eyebrows raised slightly in surprise; no one has ever stopped by for social visits. Not that Yewon had any friends to stop by.

“These are for you,” Eunbi told her, holding out the bouquet of lilies towards Yewon, “A thank you for the other night, I had fun.”

A real smile lit up Yewon’’s face as she took the flowers. “Thank you, you didn’t have to do that,” Yewon mumbles, a slight blush adding some color to her pale cheeks.

“It was the least I could do,” Eunbi smiled, “And I brought donuts too, please tell me you’ve tried a donut before.”

Yewon rolled her eyes playfully, getting up, and putting the flowers in the jug of water.

“I’m not a complete snob. Of course, I’ve had a donut before,”  Yewon scoffed, giving Eunbi a half-smile as she sat down again. “This is the first time someone’s given me flowers though,” Yewon admitted, admiring them from her desk.

Eunbi laughed, “so many first for you.”

Yewon gave her an exasperated look as she accepted one of the donuts Eunbi held towards her. “Running a business doesn’t leave me with a lot of free time to do normal things,” Yewon told her, shrugging her shoulders slightly.

“Then we’ll have to make a bucket list,” Eunbi smiled enthusiastically.

“I doubt eating a hotdog really counts as some lifelong dream that needs to be fulfilled before I die,” Yewon laughed, taking a bite out of the donut. 

“Uh, it is if you’re American,” Eunbi insisted.

Yewon looked amused as she watched Eunbi. It was almost refreshing how optimistic she was. Yewon had always been surrounded by so much negativity and pressure. Admittedly, she usually hates bubbly people, but there was something about the way Eunbi’s eyes sparkled that made Yewon feel much warmer inside.

“Did you want to go out for lunch?” Yewon asked, raising one eyebrow in question. 

“Isn’t...uh, isn't your lunch right there?” Eunbi asked, her gaze sliding over to Yewon’s untouched salad that she had abandoned as soon as Solar had mentioned Eunbi’s name.

“Oh, right, well I don’t really feel like eating salad today,” Yewon said, coming up with the first excuse she could think of, “And I’ve been cooped up in here all morning and I need to stretch my legs.”

“Oh, okay. Sure!” Eunbi smiled, her eyes crinkling at the corners as she pushed her glasses up on her nose. 

“Great,” Yewon smiled at Eunbi, standing up, “Is there any place you think I need to go to? Just so we can cross it off the list.”

Eunbi laughed, picking up her bag as she stood up. “Well, how do you like Chinese food?”

“I love it,” Yewon smiled, walking over to the door and waving Eunbi through ahead of her.

“Can you cancel my one o’clock please,” Yewon told Solar, who brought her coat and bag over for her as soon as Yewon walked out.

~

~

 They were seated in the shadowy corner of a tiny takeaway restaurant. Yewon looked around warily as she sipped at her mineral water; she had never been in a place like this. She didn’t want to seem snobby, so she kept her opinions to herself, but it was vastly different from the five-star restaurants she usually went to.

“This place has the best potstickers in the entire city,” Eu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter