Chapter 27

Wait For Me To Come Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first week passed by quickly, and Yewon spent most of her time moping around and throwing herself into her work. Eunha and Sojung checked in almost every day, meeting Yewon for coffee or inviting her over for dinner.

The only time Yewon really felt like she could breathe again was when she would talk to Eunbi. And each call, Yewon would cling to those precious minutes with her life. They were the most important parts of her day and she treasured every moment, but eventually, Eunbi would have to go so she could sleep or fulfill one task or another.

It was Sunday, and Yewon was just walking up to Eunha’s front door. She had received a call earlier from Eunha, giving her both a reminder and warning that it was family dinner time today and she had better be there or Eunha would drag her there herself.

Sojung answered the door when Yewon knocked, smiling widely at her as she greeted her. To her surprise, Eunseo was also there, still having a couple of weeks left like Eunbi was supposed to have.

“Hey, I brought whiskey,” Yewon said as she walked in.

“I’ll take that, thanks,” Sojung said, taking the bottle out of Yewon’s hold and walking to the kitchen. “Does everyone want a glass?”

“Sure,” Yewon said, taking her coat off and hanging it by the door. “I brought cake too. Need any help with dinner?” She directed her question at Eunha and Eunseo, who was in the kitchen, taking things out of the oven and putting things in bowls. Yewon opened the fridge and put the cake inside.

“No, we’re all good,” Eunha said, giving her a smile. “Everything is almost ready anyway.”

Yewon nodded and accepted a glass of whiskey from Sojung, before joining her at the dining table. Soon enough, the four of them were sitting down around the table, grabbing food onto their plates as they talked.

“Did you speak to Eunbi today yet?” Eunha asked, cutting up her roast beef.

“Yeah, she called me earlier. After you, I think,” Yewon replied. “She seems a bit happier.”

“The first week back is always the hardest,” Eunseo explained. “It takes a few days to get back into a routine of being away from your family, but then it gets easier. Kind of like how it is for you, I guess.” Yewon gave him a small smile in agreement.

“Well, one week down I guess,” Yewon shrugged, smiling slightly.

“Oooh, maybe you should get a dog!” Sojung. “A dog? Really?”

“Yeah! Who doesn’t like dogs?” Sojung said as if that was enough of an explanation in itself.

“I’ve never had a dog before,” Yewon murmured, frowning slightly as she thought about the idea of getting one.

“Well if you decide to get one, I’m coming with you,” Sojung told her. “I can’t let you pick a lapdog or something like that.”

“Okay, sure,” Yewon laughed, rolling her eyes.

“Someone’s just trying to use you to get what they want,” Eunha said, raising her eyebrows at Sojung in amusement.

“Apparently someone doesn't think getting a dog is a good idea,” Sojung sighed.

“We live in two separate apartments, Sojung,” Eunha reminded her. “How are we going to share a dog? Plus, neither of our places allow pets.”

Sojung pouted at Eunha, before flashing her childish smile. “Okay, fair point. Maybe I should get a fish. How boring would that be?”

Eunha rolled her eyes, before turning to look at Yewon. “On the topic of apartments. I hear that you asked Eunbi to move in with you when she gets back?”

Yewon chewed her food slowly as she tried not to blush. “I..uh..yeah I guess. We’re going to talk about it more when she gets back,” Yewon told her, smiling at Eunha. “She said you two were thinking of moving in together too?”

“Yeah, we’ve been trying to figure things out for a while now,” Sojung said, smiling brightly at Eunha. “You know, like whose apartment it should be. Whether or not we should get a new one.”

“We’re leaning towards Sojung’s place,” Eunha told her.

Her place is definitely bigger,” Eunseo added in agreement. “You can have a spare room for, I don’t know, knife throwing or whatever you two do for fun. I’m sure it would be terrifying.”

“Eunbi said it would make things easier for you if she moved out, so you wouldn’t feel bad about leaving her paying rent for your apartment,” Yewon said.

“Yeah, well...I guess that’s true, but you know, I didn’t want to rush into things too,” Eunha admitted.

Yewon hesitated slightly, before asking, “Is- um..do you think we’re rushing into things, moving in together?” She knew that Eunha’s opinion was important to Eunbi, and her answer could easily influence Eunbi’s decision when she came home.

“Hmm, no I don’t think so,” Eunha said, tilting her head to the side as she frowned slightly. “I think your circumstances are completely different, and it makes sense for you to do things quicker.” Yewon nodded slightly, taking in Eunha’s words.

“Yeah, just maybe don’t get married yet,” Sojung said with a laugh, and Yewon rolled her eyes, sighing heavily.

~

~

They were three rounds into the game, and Yewon was destroying all of them.

“For ’s sake,” Sojung cursed as Yewon picked up another piece to help her win the game. “We get it, you’re a in nerd.”

Yewon drank the rest of her whiskey, smiling smugly at Sojung. “You’ve watched Jeopardy with me, you know I know my .” She laughed as Sojung flipped her off, and poured another drink for herself.

“You know what, I’m sick of losing. Let’s do something fun,” Sojung complained.

“Like what?” Eunha asked, raising her eyebrows as she took a sip of her own drink.

“What about...going out for drinks?” Sojung asked, raising her eyebrows in question as she looked at the three of them. Eunseo looked at Yewon and Eunha, waiting for their answer.

“It’s Sunday night,” Eunha reminded her, and Sojung shrugged. They were all already half-drunk off whiskey anyway. Sojung looked at Yewon and raised her eyebrows. Her expression was almost mocking her, and Yewon’s stubbornness flared up as she rose to the challenge.

“ it,” Yewon sighed, draining her glass again and standing up. “Let’s go get drunk.”

Sojung clapped once in excitement, struggling to her feet as she tried to stay balanced. Resigning herself to the fact that she was going to get dragged out regardless, Eunha got up and went to grab her leather jacket and boots.

The four of them made their way downstairs and flagged down a cab, and they ended up at their local bar, crowded in the booth in the back corner. As a bartender walked past, they spotted Sojung and smiled as they walked over.

“Hey, you want the usual?” the guy asked.

“How about four tequilas,” Sojung told him with a smile, which widened at the sound of Eunha groaning next to her.

“Make it eight,” Yewon told the guy before he walked off, her smile mirroring Sojung’s smile. “Start a tab, on me. It looks like we’re getting ed up tonight.”

He returned a few minutes later with a tray of shots, gently setting them on the table along with the lime and salt. They all picked up a shot and a wedge of lime, stopping when Sojung said something.

“Wait. I would like to propose a toast,” Sojung declared. “This is for the best detective here, who put two people behind bars today. It’s me. I’m amazing.” Eunha and Yewon rolled their eyes as Eunseo laughed before they all held their glasses up and drank the shots, coughing slightly at the burning sensation as the tequila went down.

“I ing hate tequila,” Yewon complained, biting into the lime to take away the disgusting taste. She picked up the second shot and quickly drank that one too.

“So...vodka next then?” Sojung suggested drinking her second shot.

Eunha groaned again. “How drunk are you two planning on getting? Just so I know.”

“Well...I have work tomorrow, so probably not too drunk,” Yewon said, rolling her eyes at the thought of the meetings she had tomorrow.

“Well I don’t, so who knows,” Sojung laughed as she shrugged, and Eunha smiled as she shook her head and drank her other shot too. Yewon stood up and walked over to the bar, requesting four double shots of whiskey and four shots of vodka.

It wasn’t long before they had Eunseo up on the stage, taking part in the karaoke night the bar was having as the other girls cheered her on.

~

~

Yewon slowly opened her eyes and pushed herself up slightly, wincing at the bright sunlight that streamed in through the windows. She was lying across the width of Eunbi’s bed, on top of the covers, and still fully clothed, including her coat.

As she sat up, her head spun and the overwhelming feeling of sickness rose inside her. Yewon lurched upright and ran for the bathroom, barging in on Eunha and Sojung mid-shower so she could vomit into the toilet. There were sounds of protest coming from behind the curtain until they heard the sound of Yewon retching.

“. You good, Kim?” Sojung said, peeking out from behind the shower curtain to look down at Yewon, who was kneeling in front of the toilet with her head practically in the bowl. Yewon mumbled something incoherently and Sojung laughed, dropping the curtain back into place.

A few minutes later, the water shut off and Eunha’s hand s out to grab a towel off the rack before she emerged a few moments later, towel wrapped around her. “You look like ,” Eunha told her with a smile as she squeezed past her.

“Yeah, I feel like it too,” Yewon mumbled.

“There’s aspirin in the medicine cabinet,” Sojung said before slipping after her girlfriend as Yewon mumbled her thanks.

She stripped off her clothes and the hot water, before stepping under it. She felt better standing under the water, but then that could have been because she threw up and there probably wasn’t any more alcohol left in her stomach.

Wrapped in a towel, Yewon stumbled back to Eunbi’s bedroom and slipped on some of her clothes, before padding back to the bathroom to fetch some aspirin. She emerged from the hallway wearing her sunglasses to lessen the stabbing pains behind her eyes from the brightness of the sun and scowled in Eunha and Sojung’s direction as they snickered.

“What time is it?” Yewon asked, her voice coming out slightly hoarse.

Eunha bit back a smile as she watched Yewon collapse into a chair and put her head in her hands. Taking pity on her, she poured a cup of coffee and carried it over. Yewon gave her a grateful smile as she took the cup.

“It’s just a little after ten,” Eunha said.

“!” Yewon exclaimed. “I had meetings I was supposed to be at. Have you seen my phone?” Sojung picked it up off the counter and waved it at Yewon, who got up to get it. She saw she had missed three calls from Solar, one from her mom, and six messages from Solar too. Dialing her assistant, she held the phone up to her ear.

“Miss Kim,” Solar said, sounding relieved.

“Solar. Hi. I...uh..overslept,” Yewon said by way of explanation. “I trust that you canceled my first appointment for me?”

“Yes Miss Kim,” Solar assured her. “Would you like me to cancel your next one too?”

“Please. That would be great,” Yewon said, massaging the spot above her left eye as it sent stabbing pains to her head. She hung up the phone and sat back down to drink her coffee.

“So...what’d we do last night?” Yewon asked.

“Can’t remember, huh?” Sojung said with a light. Yewon shot her a dark look from beneath her sunglasses, flipping her off as she took a sip of coffee. “We just stayed at the bar. You racked up quite a tab though, and you wouldn’t let us chip in. I think you must have bought everyone in the bar a drink by the end of the night.”

“How much did I drink? I haven’t had a hangover since high school,” Yewon grumbled, ''The perks of all of her business dinners meant that she was used to drinking large quantities of wine, and had built up a bit of tolerance to alcohol.

“Enough to give us a brilliant rendition of Mago,” Eunha told her, laughing at the memory. “And don’t worry, we recorded it and sent it to Eunbi.”

“ off,” Yewon swore at her, face flushing red with embarrassment. She hesitated slightly before continuing. “Who did I sing it with?”

Eunah and Sojung both burst out laughing as they looked at each other and then back to Yew

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter