Chapter 21

Wait For Me To Come Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yewon opened her eyes to the white ceiling of Eunbi’s room. It was weirdly quiet as she laid there, absentmindedly Eunbi’s hair, still fast asleep next to her. The only sound Yewon could hear was the gentle movements of the sea waves hitting the shore. There was no sound coming from downstairs so Yewon assumed that Jessica had already left for work.

She wasn’t sure how long she laid there, but she would have been content to stay there all morning. Eventually, Eunbi’s eyes fluttered open and she sat up, stretching as she looked around. Picking up her glasses, she put them on and turned towards Yewon, smiling.

“Good morning,” Eunbi mumbled, leaning in to kiss her.

“Did you sleep well?” Yewon asked, pushing the hair away from Eunbi’s face so she could give her a kiss, smiling to herself as she felt her shiver.

“Mmm, yes I did,” Eunbi whispered as Yewon’s kisses trailed down her neck. Her hands came up to tangle in Yewon’s hair as she fell back to the bed, with Yewon sitting on top of her. Eunbi’s breathing hitched as Yewon pulled up Eunbi’s shirt, placing a kiss on her hip.

“So, were you planning on us leaving bed today or not?” Eunbi asked, a laugh escaping her. Yewon pulled back and looked up at Eunbi, her eyes narrowing slightly as she deliberated over Eunbi’s question.

“I mean we could,” Yewon smiled, her eyes sparkling as she raised her eyebrows suggestively at Eunbi.

“And as lovely as that sounds, my sister and her girlfriend will probably come barging in and drag us out of bed by our ankles,” Eunbi sighed, smiling slightly at the thought. They could hear the low sounds of Eunha and Sojung talking down the hall.

Yewon sat up and sighed,” As tempting as it sounds to see that play out, I'd prefer not to give Tweedledum and Tweedledee the satisfaction.”

Eunbi let out a snort of laughter, “I didn’t peg you to be an Alice in Wonderland fan.”

“What?” Yewon said, her expression changing to confusion.

“Tweedledum and Tweedledee. From Alice in Wonderland?” Eunbi said, looking at Yewon expectantly.

“Oh. It’s from a poem. Byrom?” Yewon frowned.

“Are you kidding me?” Eunbi laughed as she got out of bed. “You’ve read Byrom but not Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland? It’s a classic! Have you watched the movie at least?”

Yewon rolled out of bed and turned around to start fixing it. “No, I’ve never had much time for fairytales, you know this.”

“I know, but it’s Alice in Wonderland! Have you read any of the original children’s stories?” Eunbi asked, looking at Yewon with concern as if she was seriously worried about the fact that Yewon had not read them.

“No,” Yewon scoffed, arranging the pillows neatly on the bed.

“Oh, God. I can’t believe I’m hearing this right now,” Eunbi said, shaking her head. “I’m adding that to the list.”

“You and that darn list,” Yewon sighed, rolling her eyes as she walked around the bed and placed a slow, lingering kiss on Eunbi’s lips.

“Where’s your bathroom?” Yewon asked, turning around and pulling her stuff out of her bag. Eunbi silently opened the door and walked down the hallway, before opening another door for Yewon to walk in.

She stepped to the side and went to walk past Yewon, who raised her eyebrows in surprise. “Are you not joining me?” She asked Eunbi with a smile.

“I would love to, but your shower is bigger than our entire bathroom and I don’t think two people would comfortably fit in ours,” Eunbi explained with a small smile.

“I’m up for the challenge,” Yewon casually shrugged.

With a laugh, Eunbi stepped forward and kissed Yewon before turning around and heading towards the stairs. “I’ll get started on breakfast.”

Yewon smiled and walked into the bathroom, shutting the door behind her. Taking her clothes off, she stepped under the stream of hot water. She was in the middle of scrubbing herself with somebody wash when she heard the door open. Two seconds later the shower curtain was ripped back and Yewon stood face to face with Eunha.

“What the , Eunha!” Yewon yelled, turning her back to her.

“Oh, sorry. I thought Eunbi would be in here with you,” Eunha said. “Hey, you didn’t happen to pack a hair straightener by any chance, did you?”

“There’s one in my bag, now close the ing curtain!” Yewon yelled at her. Laughing, Eunha pulled the curtain back into its place and shouted thanks over her shoulder as she walked out of the bathroom, closing the door shut behind her.

After washing the soap off, Yewon shut the water off and stepped out, wrapping herself in a towel.

~

~

Five minutes later, Yewon walked downstairs, dressed in jeans and a plain white shirt. She rolled the cuffs up as she walked into the kitchen and groaned internally as she looked at the three girls standing around, looking at her with amusement. Sojung was grinning as if she had just heard the best news of her life.

Ignoring them, Yewon walked towards the pot of coffee, taking the clean mug that Eunbi pulled out of the cupboard for her. “So,” Eunbi started, Yewon could hear the barely controlled laughter in her voice, “How was your shower?”

Yewon grumbled something as she picked up the coffee pot and started pouring some into the cup.

“Eunha said you have a nice ,” Sojung laughed and Yewon flipped her off without turning around. Her cheeks turned red with embarrassment at their teasing and she rolled her eyes as she turned around, before shooting them all a dark look at their laughter.

“You’re awfully cheerful for someone whose girlfriend walked in on another woman showering, hm?” Yewon retorted, smiling as Sojung started laughing and Eunha choked on the coffee she had just sipped.

“I’m going to hide the knives for the next two weeks,” Eunbi told everyone. “You two in a confined space are bound to lead to a stabbing by the end of the trip.”

“Aw, come on,” Sojung said, “We all know I wouldn’t need a knife to kill her if I was determined.” Sojung laughed, shaking her head as she sat down at the table.

“Scrambled or fried?” Eunbi called from the kitchen as she picked up an egg.

“I’ll take scrambled,” Eunha said and Sojung voiced her agreement

“So, what are we doing today?” Sojung asked as she walked into the kitchen to help Eunbi make breakfast for them all.

“Hmm, we could go into town. Show Yewon around, get some lunch at the diner,” Eunha suggested.

“Sounds good,” Yewon agreed.

“Alright, it’s settled then,” Eunbi said, sliding an egg out of the frying pan and on top of the toast Sojung finished buttering. She cracked another egg as Sojung carried the plate over to the table and placed it in front of Yewon.

~

~

The four of them were strolling down the main street of the town and Yewon listened as Eunbi and Eunha pointed out important buildings or commented on things that Yewon didn’t know about.

They stopped by the bookshop around noon and Yewon picked up a few books, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland being one of them. After paying, they walked outside and Eunbi started complaining about being hungry again.

“Alright, lunchtime,” Eunha announced, setting off in the direction towards the diner down the street with Sojung following her.

They settled into a booth at the window and a waitress came over with some menus. “Coffee?” She asked.

“Please,” Yewon nodded.

“I’ll take a vanilla milkshake please,” Eunbi asked with a big smile.

“Coffee, please,” Eunha told her.

“Make that another, please,” Sojung added.

The waitress nodded, walking away, and came back a second later with a pot of coffee and three cups. She poured some into the cups and informed Eunbi that her milkshake would be ready shortly. After a chorus of thanks, she left them to look at the menus for a moment.

“You should try the pie, it’s really good,” Eunbi told Yewon, pointing to the dessert section.

“Are you not going to eat real food first?” Yewon asked.

“Pie is a real food,” Eunbi insisted.

With a laugh, Eunha gave Yewon a knowing look. “It’s best not to argue with her, I’ve been trying to get her cut back on sugar since we were kids.”
“This might be my last piece of pie before I leave,” Eunbi said defensively.

Yewon let out a laugh, “Yeah right. You’ll probably drag us here every day.”

“Well I might,” Eunbi said indignantly.

Yewon gave her a small smile as she picked up her coffee and took a sip as she read the menu. “How are the salads here?” She asked.

Eunha sighed loudly, shaking her head in disappointment. “No. You are not getting a salad from a diner!” She told Yewon. “It will most likely be soggy lettuce and it’s not going to be good anyways. Just get a burger or a dessert. You can’t go wrong with that.”

“You’re all so ing serious about your food,” Yewon muttered, “Fine how about the cheeseburgers?”

“Better than the salad,” Eunbi told her, the corners of her lips turning up slightly as she tried not to smile.

~

~

After finishing their food, they sat there talking over fresh cups of coffee until they were ready to leave. The waitress walked over and set the bill down on the table and Yewon pulled it towards her as she grabbed some cash.

“Hey, do you sell whole pies here?” She asked the waitress.

“Mhm, any of the ones on the menu,” She replied as she waited for Yewon to hand over the money.

“Which one do you guys want?” Yewon asked, looking at them.

“Why are we getting a pie?” Eunbi asked, confused.

“Because not all of us had dessert for lunch and your mom might like some. Now pick, quickly,” Yewon explained, handing over more cash to the waitress to cover the bill.

“Apple?” Eunbi asked Eunha and Sojung who nodded in agreement.

Looking up at the waitress, Yewon gave her a slight smile. “Apple pie please and no change.”

The girl looked down at the money in her hand and looked back up at Yewon with an uncertain expression on her face. “Are you sure? This is way too much.”

“Quite sure,” Yewon replied, putting her wallet back in her bag.

“Thank you,” The waitress smiled widely at her before going to box up the pie.

Outside the diner, Eunbi entwined her finger with Yewon’s hand and they set off down the street. Eunha and Sojung followed behind.

“Well this is the main part of the town,” Eunbi said, gesturing around her. “The rest of it is mostly just neighborhoods.”

“I like it, I’ve never been to a small town before,” Yewon smiled at Eunbi. “Um...were- were you born here?”

“No, I was born in another town, which is actually much smaller. There’s only a couple thousand people there. No orphanage, so I came here, to the closest one. That was after I was rushed to the hospital here though, they have a good children's hospital. Mom took my case and that’s how I became part of their family,” Eunbi explained, smiling at Yewon.

“Y-You never told me that before,” Yewon stammered, her eyes wide with concern as she looked at Eunbi.

“I guess it never came up,” Eunbi shrugged, playing with her glasses as she looked down. “It was good, in a way, moving here; there’s nothing to remind me of my parents. It made things easier I guess.”

“Do you go back often?” Yewon asked.

“Maybe once or twice a year. Mom used to take me every month in the beginning, she said it was important for me to grieve,” Eunbi explained.

“And as I got older, I had Eunha and my new mom and dad. I didn’t need to go as often, and now that I’m in the army, I don’t have much time now, so yeah...maybe once a year. I still miss them though.”

Yewon squeezed Eunbi’s hand tightly. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Eunbi said dismissively. “Sometimes I forget, you know. It was over half my life ago and for the half, I spent with them, I was too young to remember a lot of things. So..

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter