Chapter 16

Wait For Me To Come Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the day of the gala and Yewon was rushing everywhere all day, making last-minute decisions and adjustments. She was determined to make sure everything was perfect.

She had Solar pick up her and Eunbi’s outfits for the gala and had Eunbi’s outfit sent to Eunha’s apartment. Yewon would come and pick up Eunbi, Eunha, and Sojung on the way to Kim-Corp. Eunbi had also invited Eunseo, but she was going to meet them there.

At five, Yewon’s car pulled up outside Eunha’s apartment. Getting out of the car, she told her driver to wait and went inside. Walking up to several flights of stairs, she came to a stop outside Eunha’s door and fixed her dress before knocking.

Eunbi opened the door, a bright smile on her face as she took in the sight of Yewon. “Hi! I like your suit,” Yewon said smiling as Eunbi leaned in to give her a kiss.

Yewon looked at Eunbi with surprise. “Oh, no glasses?” she asked, smiling widely as she looked at Eunbi. Yewon had seen her without glasses before, but only for a few minutes.

“I thought contacts would be a welcome change for tonight,” Eunbi smiled.

“Thank you, they’re beautiful.” Accepting the flowers that Eunbi held for her.

“Not as beautiful as you,” Eunbi blurted out, blushing slightly as she stared at Yewon. She did look beautiful in the dress she had picked out from the many other options Yewon had picked out. Eunbi’s smile wavered for a second and she turned around, opening the door wider so Yewon could come inside.

Trailing behind her, Yewon frowned slightly. “I-Is everything okay,” She asked, her voice full of concern. She said a quick hello to Eunha and Sojung, who were sitting on the couch, waiting to leave.

“Fine,” Eunbi said, turning around to give Yewon a quick smile before walking into the kitchen. “I’ll just be like five minutes, sorry. I had to go into work earlier so I’m running a bit behind.”

“It’s fine, there’s no rush,” Yewon reassured her, smiling at Eunbi. She didn’t know what it was, but there was something off about Eunbi. She was less cheery than usual and Yewon didn’t like it. Eunbi said she was fine though and Yewon didn't want to push her. If there was something Eunbi wanted her to know, she would tell Yewon when she was ready.

~

~

Half an hour later, Yewon’s car pulled up outside Kim-Corp. Her driver stepped out and opened the door for the four of them to step out. Yewon climbed out of the car to the flashing of cameras as the paparazzi outside rushed forward to snap some photos of the young CEO. Yewon raised her chin, steeling herself against the bombardment of camera and reporters.

Turning around slightly, Yewon held her hand out for Eunbi and helped her out of the car. Yewon held on tightly, her face like stone as she faced the crowd with Eunbi by her side. She ignored the questions being shouted at her by the reporters and made her way to the entrance of the building.

Walking through the open doors, Yewon let out a breath she didn’t know she was holding, her shoulders sagging with relief. She gave Eunbi, Eunha, and Sojung an apologetic smile. “Sorry about that.”

“So I guess you’ll be front and center tomorrow, huh?” Eunha said, giving Yewon a sympathetic look. It was no secret that Yewon hated the lack of privacy her position afforded her.

“I need a drink,” Yewon mumbled, gesturing for everyone to walk towards the entrance to the main party. They wove their way through the crowd of people until they found a server holding a tray of champagne. They all took a glass and Yewon drank hers, draining the glass in seconds.

“Whoa, slow down there,” Sojung said, taking the empty glass of Yewon and placing it on the nearest table.

“Hey, it’s fine,” Eunbi mumbled, squeezing Yewon’s hand.

“I know...I just- I hate these things,” Yewon muttered, her eyes darting around the room. Eunbi didn’t have to ask to know that she was looking for her mother. Eunbi saw the muscles in Yewon’s jaw tighten and looked in the direction Yewon was looking. Eunbi knew Kim Sunmi was on sight and she looked at the older woman with interest.

“Let’s go this way,” Yewon murmured to Eunbi, taking her by the elbow and moving in the opposite direction of Sunmi.

“We’ll leave you it, I can see some Cheese Canapes over there,” Eunha called after them.

Eunbi nodded, before letting Yewon pull her through the crowd. People stopped them as they walked through the crowd, greeting Yewon, and discussing business with them. They were all polite to Eunbi as Yewon introduced them, raising her chin each time as if daring someone to comment on their relationship.

Finally, they managed to shake off the crows and find a quiet corner to stand in for a few moments. Eunbi looked out at the crowd of people, before leaning down towards Yewon. “It looks like tonight is a success.”

“Mmm, Well we’ve avoided my mother so far, so I have to agree,” Yewon mused, giving Eunbi a small smile. “Hey, are you hungry? I had potstickers added to the menu for you.”

“Really?” Eunbi asked, her eyes crinkling at the corner as she looked at Yewon.

Mhm. Come on, let’s find you some,” Yewon smiled back at her, squeezing her hand gently.

“Are you sure you don’t just want to hide out here for a little while longer?” Eunbi asked, looking at the weary expression on Yewon’s face. The niceties were tiring and Yewon hated fake people. Galas were always a nightmare for her.

“It’s fine...really. Besides, I think Eunseo just got here,” Yewon smiled, pulling Eunbi in the direction she was looking at.

~

~

Eunbi commandeered a tray of potstickers and Yewon looked on in amusement as she watched her devour them, sipping from her glass of champagne. Her laughter died off at the sight of her mom nearby and she quickly put the glass on the counter and grabbed Eunbi’s hand.

“. Quick, don’t let her see you,” Yewon hissed, wriggling her way between people as she tried to remain unnoticed.

“I come all this way and my own daughter can’t even take the time to say hello to her mother.”

Yewon’s body visibly tensed up at the sound of Sunmi’s voice behind her and she slowly turned around. She plastered a neutral expression on her face and steeled herself for the conversation that was about to happen.

“Mother,” Yewon said stiffly, her jaw tightening as she looked at Sunmi.

“Oh really Yewon, you could at least pretend for appearances,” Sunmi tutted, coming to a stop in front of Yewon. She scoffed as she brushed the shoulders of her dress. “You always did like to make a statement with your clothes. I guess I should be thankful you didn’t show up with those awful spikes in your ears and that black lipstick you used to wear.”

Yewon didn’t even react to Sunmi’s words. She just stared at her mother, her body tense, as she waited readily to bite back.

“And who might you be?” Sunmi asked, her attention sliding to Eunbi’s presence and then down to their entwined hands.

“Hwang Eunbi, ma’am,” Eunbi introduced herself, holding a hand out for Sunmi to shake.

“Oh...the girlfriend I presume,” Sunmi said, raising an eyebrow as she looked back at her daughter.

“Yes ma’am,” Eunbi replied, giving Sunmi a warm smile. Jessica had always taught her the importance of being nice to everyone, especially those who were rude and Eunbi was determined not to let Sunmi get to her, for Yewon’s sake if nothing else.

“Hm,” Sunmi said, giving Eunbi a look over.

“Just say what you want to say,” Yewon sighed, already tired of whatever game Sunmi was playing.

Sunmi gave Yewon a smug look filled with satisfaction at Yewon’s irritation. “Can I not say hello to my own daughter?” She asked.

“You make a huge effort of keeping your distance, I wasn’t sure you would actually want to,” Yewon replied icily, her eyes narrowing slightly.

“Well, it’s not fair for you to put all the blame on me now, is it? You made a huge fuss about moving the company’s headquarters all the way out here,” Sunmi reminded her.

“Oh please, don’t act like you’re so cut up about your estranged daughter. We both kn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter