Brother, Dear Brother - Chapter 8

Brother, Dear Brother

When he arrived home later that night he was surprised to find a figure standing outside his bedroom door.  It caught him off guard as he was not expecting anyone to still be up at this late hour of the night.

"What are you, a guard dog now?" he asked in a mocking tone.

The figure smirked, seemingly unbothered by the remarks.  "I thought the brat was late but you've proved me wrong.  Where have you been?"

"None of your business," he replied and proceeded to make his way inside his room.

"I heard a rumour," said the figure, stopping him in his tracks.  "He's planning to name the brat as his successor."

There was silence.

"I told you he was the favourite," added the figure.  "If you're not careful, he'll take everything that should be yours."

He remained silent as he entered his room and closed the door .


The students all cheered when the final bell rang at the end of the day.  While his friends were discussing where to go and what to do, Woohyun quickly grabbed his things and packed his bag in a rush.

"Where are you going?" one of his friends asked.

"Can't hang out today," Woohyun replied as he headed for the door.  "I have something important I need to do."


Woohyun ran through the busy streets with a hurried pace and headed straight for the hospital.  He arrived at the room only to discover an empty bed.  While he stood there in disappointment a nurse came up to him and informed him that the patient had already been discharged earlier.

He quickly made his way out of the hospital and back onto the streets.  In his rush, he bumped into a tall figure dressed in casual clothing with messy hair and looked as though they had just woken up.

Woohyun quickly lowered his head and apologised.  "I'm sorry."

"What's the rush?" said the tall figure.  "Where's the fire?"

"I-" Woohyun raised his head trying to explain himself when he saw the tall figure's face.  It was familiar but at the same time, he could not be sure.  The face was familiar but the appearance was not.

"Oh it's you, kid," said the figure upon recognising the boy in the school uniform.  Sungyeol noticed the boy's puzzled look.

"You're Sungyeol?" said Woohyun finally recognising the tall man.  "I'm sorry, I didn't recognise you."

"This is what I normally look like when I'm not working," Sungyeol explained.

Work? thought Woohyun, wondering what kind of work it was that Sungyeol did.

"Where are you going in such a hurry?" Sungyeol asked.

"I went to the hospital to visit Sunggyu but the nurse said he was discharged," said Woohyun.

Sungyeol looked at the boy.  A rich young boy and a street stall vendor, generations apart.  What could they possibly have in common?  It did not make sense to him.  No matter, it was not his business to intervene but he could not help but be curious.

"He's at home," Sungyeol informed.  "I was just going to check up on him.  Want to come along?"

Woohyun's eyes lit up.


When Sunggyu opened the front door, he was greeted by the sight of Sungyeol standing there with a smirk upon his face.  What surprised him more was seeing Woohyun standing there beside the taller man."Picked up a kid running around town looking for you," Sungyeol said casually.

Woohyun looked at Sunggyu but did not know what to say and it seemed neither did Sunggyu.

"You're not planning to open shop tonight are you?" Sungyeol asked, interrupting the awkward silence between them.

"I'm fine," Sunggyu insisted.

"The doctor said you need to take a rest," Sungyeol reminded him.  "What if you collapsed again?  Who's going to look out for you?"

"I will," Woohyun volunteered eagerly much to their surprise.

 
While Sunggyu was busy cooking the noodles as always for his customers, Woohyun stood beside him and watched.  There was nothing he could do to help.  He knew nothing about making noodles and had never cooked in his life.  He did not mind just standing there watching the older man do what he did best.

"Here you go," said Sunggyu as he placed a bowl of noodles in front of Woohyun.

Woohyun looked at the older man in surprise.

"You've been standing there all night, you must be hungry right?" said Sunggyu.

Woohyun smiled at the thought of how kind the older man was.  Truth be told, he was hungry.

Sunggyu pulled one of the empty stools over and placed it beside Woohyun, urging the boy to sit down.  "Hurry up and eat it before it gets cold," he said.  "When you finish eating, you should go home.  It's late.  You have school tomorrow, right?"

Woohyun pouted.  "But I promised Sungyeol I would look after you."

Sunggyu smiled at him.  "I'm an old man.  I think I'm old enough to look after myself."

Woohyun frowned upon hearing Sunggyu's words.  "I don't think you're that old."

"What about your father?"  Sunggyu reminded him.  "He might send people to take you home."

Woohyun gave him a reassuring smile.  "You don't have to worry.  He left on a business trip the other day.  He said he had some things to take care of and won't be back for a few days."

"What about your mother?" Sunggyu asked.  "Won't she be worried about you?"

Woohyun pursed his lips and looked up into the sky as if searching for something.  "Maybe," he replied before lowering his eyes to the ground.  "But I wouldn't know.  She died when I was a baby."

"I'm sorry," said Sunggyu.

Woohyun ended up staying for the rest of the night until the final customer finished his meal and left.  When Sunggyu  offered to take Woohyun home since it was so late, the boy refused insisting that he would go home by himself.  He did not want Sunggyu to think that he was some spoilt rich kid so he could not let Sunggyu see the the mansion he lived in nor the car which came to pick him up.


Woohyun quickly headed down the street and turned the corner before he reached into his pocket for his phone.  It was then he realised that his phone was missing.  He then remembered that he had left it on the bench while he was eating the noodles which Sunggyu had made for him.  He decided to head back to the stall.

Woohyun turned back and hastily walked along the street until he saw Sunggyu's stall up ahead.  He frowned when he saw a group of men in black approaching the older man.  Sunggyu said something to them which made one of the men grab him by the collar of his shirt threateningly.  Woohyun gasped upon realising that Sunggyu was in danger.  He made a dash towards the older man but halted when he saw a figure rush in and caught the fist before it could connect to Sunggyu's face.  The figure twisted the attacker's arm and kicked him aside before he single-handedly took on the rest of the group.

Woohyun's eyes widened in shock when he caught sight of the figure's face.  "Brother?"