Brother, Dear Brother - Chapter 12

Brother, Dear Brother

Detective Lee and several officers entered the club to what looked like the aftermath of a brutal fight.  Broken glass and furniture littered the place along with the battered and bloodied bodies sprawled on the floor.  Though there were other patrons at the scene, they had all said that they did not see anything or know who was responsible.  Of course he knew that they were lying but there was nothing he could do to make them talk.  


Dongwoo was in the study going through a pile of documents when the door flung open without warning.  He frowned at the sudden intrusion and was about to scold whoever it was until he saw the figure standing there.  It was not someone he was expecting.  His anger turned to intrigue.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" Dongwoo asked with a smirk.

"I have something to ask you," Woohyun replied in between deep breaths.

Dongwoo looked at the boy, noticing his tousled hair and beads of sweat glistening on his forehead.  He glanced down and saw blood on the knuckles of the boy's right hand.  Dongwoo's curiosity rose.  "What happened to your hand?" he asked.

Woohyun glanced down at his right hand.  Upon seeing the blood on his knuckles, he quickly hid it behind his back.  "Nothing," he replied.

Dongwoo smiled.  Despite knowing that Woohyun was lying to him, he did not pursue the matter.  Truth be told, he could not care less about the boy.  "Alright then," he said.  "What do you want to ask?"

"Brother Myungsoo and Sunggyu..." Woohyun began with slight hesitation.  "How do they know each other?"

Dongwoo's eyes lit up as his face beamed with delight.  "Why don't you ask them yourself?"

Woohyun frowned at Dongwoo's words.  "Neither of them told me that they knew each other before.  I just want to know what is their relationship?  Why would Brother Myungsoo risk his life for Sunggyu?"

Interesting, thought Dongwoo.  He could tell that Woohyun was angry from his tone of voice but he could not tell if the boy was angry at Myungsoo or Sunggyu.  "Well, Sunggyu would have been our stepbrother if it wasn't for the accident which killed his mother."


Some time later Myungsoo arrived home and looked for Woohyun but could not find the boy anywhere.  As a last resort, he knocked on Dongwoo's door.

"What are you doing here?" Dongwoo asked in surprise.  "Shouldn't you be at the hospital?  I can't believe they discharged you so quickly."

"I discharged myself," Myungsoo stated.  "Where's Woohyun?"

"I don't know what he's been up to but he came home looking like hell," Dongwoo informed.  "He was asking about you and Sunggyu."

Myungsoo frowned.  "What did you tell him?"

Dongwoo flashed him a smile.


It was late by the time Sunggyu arrived home.  As he stepped inside, the rain started to pour.  Sunggyu breathed a sigh of relief.  It was fortunate that he was not caught out in the rain.  It had been a long night.  He was exhausted.  He sat down on the sofa and let out a deep sigh.  He had tried to stop Myungsoo from discharging himself but the younger man would not listen to him.  What further added to his worries was finding out that Woohyun had left without a word.

In the quietness of his home, he almost drifted off to sleep on the sofa until the ringing of his phone jolted him awake.  Who could be calling him at this hour?  He walked over to answer the phone on the wall.

"Sunggyu, I'm sorry to call you at this time," spoke the voice.

"Detective Lee?" said Sunggyu, recognising the voice.  "What's wrong?"

"Those guys that caused trouble at your stall, we found them," Detective Lee informed.

"That's a relief," said Sunggyu.  "I hope you lock them up so they won't go causing trouble for anyone else."

"They won't be causing trouble anymore," said Detective Lee.  "They were found dead in a club."

"Dead?" Sunggyu asked in disbelief.

"They might be members of a gang so I'm worried that they're deaths will result in some kind of gang war," said Detective Lee.

"A gang war?" Sunggyu asked in surprise.

Detective Lee let out a sigh.  "Sunggyu, I'm going to tell you this because we've known each other for so long and I'm worried about you," he began.  "There's a rumour that the reason the Nam Financial Empire is so powerful is because the head of the Nam Family is also the head of the notorious Ishimi clan."

Sunggyu frowned in confusion as he tried to comprehend Detective Lee's words.  "What are you saying?"

"It seems that those guys were unlucky that they messed with the eldest son of the Nam family," said Detective Lee.

Sunggyu finally took the hint from Detective Lee's words.  "From what I know of the Nam family, they're not that type of people," he said, refusing to believe Detective Lee's words.

"How well do you think you know them?" Detective Lee asked.

Sunggyu was quiet for a moment until he heard banging on his front door.  He frowned, wondering who it could be?  He waited a moment longer, hoping that whoever it was would go away but the banging continued.  "I have to go," he finally said and ended the call with Detective Lee before the man could even utter a word of protest.

Sunggyu walked to the front door and stood there contemplating.  The banging continued amidst the heavy downpour.

"Who is it?" he finally called out.

The banging stopped.

"Sunggyu," said the voice on the other side of the door.

Upon recognising the familiar voice, Sunggyu opened the door.