Brother, Dear Brother - Chapter 26

Brother, Dear Brother

Seeing the gun pointed at him was of no major concern to him but his heart sank the moment he realised who it was that was holding onto that gun.  It was out of his expectation.  He thought that the sleeping drug he had mixed into the drink during dinner would have prevented this situation.  However it seemed that his secret had already been discovered.  Thinking back, he should have made certain that the drink had been consumed rather than assume by the empty cup that it had been.  That was his mistake.  His one mistake was going to cost him.  He let out a resigned sigh as he looked at the figure pointing the gun at him.  This was not how he wanted things to be.  It would have been better if he never found out.

With trembling fingers, he kept the gun aimed at the three figures standing before him.  He had hoped that he was wrong, that it was all a misunderstanding but seeing them he knew it was all true.  He looked at each of them.  On the left stood the tall figure with a hint of smile upon his face.  On the right was a young face, one he thought he did not know, until he recalled all those times when he came to the noodle stall to see the last customer.  It was always the same customer who was the last to leave the stall.  At the time he did not think much of it, assuming that it was just a regular customer but now he realised that he was wrong.  The person was not there as a customer but there for another purpose, to guard his boss, the leader of the Ishimi clan.

His eyes then focused to the figure standing in the middle.  He was dressed in a fine suit and overcoat with black leather gloves on his hands.  His dark hair was slicked back, revealing his facial features.  He could not believe his eyes.  He was looking at the face of the man he loved but at the same time, it was the face of a stranger.  The once warm and gentle eyes were now cold and distant.  The man he had thought to be kind now seemed dangerous.  He would be lying if he said that he was not afraid.  Now only was he afraid of what he had discovered, but he was also afraid that his heart would be broken.  he did not want to believe it but the truth was staring at him.

The three figures hardly seemed intimidated by the boy with the gun aiming at them.  They noticed his trembling fingers and knew that he was no threat even with the gun in his hand.  The tall figure was smiling with amusement, the young one was frowning while their leader seemed troubled.

"Look who's here," said the tall figure, glancing at their leader.  "It's your puppy."

"I'll deal with him," said the young one as he stepped forward.

"Sungjong, stand down," ordered their leader.

The young one looked at their leader and despite not wanting to do so, obeyed.

"You've been caught," said the tall one with a smile on his face, eyes shifting from their leader to the boy.  It seemed he found this whole situation rather entertaining as always.  "What are you going to do now?"

"Don't interfere," the leader warned before taking a step forward.

The minute he did so, the boy took a step back, wary of the man.

Upon seeing the boy's actions, the tall one's eyes lit up with excitement while a grin spread across his face.  "It seems he's afraid of you now."

The leader ignored the remark and focused his attention on the boy.  "You shouldn't be here," he told the boy sternly.  "You should leave while you still can."

The boy did not heed his warning.  "Why is it you?" he asked, eyes b with tears yet still holding his gun.  "Why are you the leader of the Ishimi clan?  Why did you lie to me?  Why did you kill my father?"

For a brief moment, his expression softened as he stood listening to the boy asking him question after question.  He remained silent, not knowing how to to answer him.

"Answer me, Sunggyu!" the boy shouted in anger and frustration at the man's lack of response.

"Should have left when you had the chance, kid," said the tall figure as he drew out a sword.  "It's too late now."

The boy noticed the young figure also drawing out his own sword.  He grew anxious.  Even with a gun in his hand, he was uncertain if he could defeat the two figures who looked like they could take him out with ease.  He glanced at the leader who stood calmly as his two subordinates armed themselves as if ready for battle.  Thinking that they were getting ready to kill him, the boy readied himself.  He was surprised when a group of men appeared surrounding them.

Despite the odds, the tall figure smirked, seemingly excited.  "Here they come."