Brother, Dear Brother - Chapter 27

Brother, Dear Brother

The moment the group of men showed up armed with swords, Sunggyu instinctively stood in front of Woohyun as if to shield the boy.  Woohyun did not know what was going on but seeing the older man step in front of him, despite the gun now pointing at his back, gave him a small sense of hope that perhaps Sunggyu did care about him.  He finally lowered the gun in his hand.

"Intending to rebel?" Sungyeol asked the group of men, though he hardly seemed surprised.  "You all must be tired of living."

Rebel? thought Woohyun in surprise.  Were the men also members of the Ishimi clan?

"Kim Sunggyu," one of the men called out.  "We heard about what you did at the bar.  What kind of a boss kills his own people?  Why did you kill them?"

Sunggyu looked at the man.  "Disobedience," he replied, recalling the night when Woohyun had returned unexpectedly to the stall to catch him talking to his men.  As a result, he had ordered his men to play along and then leave quietly.  What he did not expect was the appearance of Myungsoo causing the situation to escalate.  The one thing he could not tolerate was disobedience.  "Just as you are doing now."

"It's because we know that tonight you only have those two with you so it's a good opportunity to get rid of you," said the man.  "Kill them!"

The group raised their swords and charged towards Sunggyu but their swords were intercepted by Sungyeol and Sungjong.  While a battle ensued, Sunggyu turned to look at Woohyun.  His expression softened.

"When did you find out?" Sunggyu asked, ignoring the fighting that was happening before him.

Woohyun took a moment to answer.  He could not believe how extremely calm the older man was considering the situation he was in.  "At the hospital," Woohyun finally replied.  "The doctor was supposed to have given you a shot for you to sleep but when I came back I heard you talking.  The person who I thought was a doctor was not a doctor but Sungyeol."

"I see," said Sunggyu.  He remembered the troubled look on Woohyun's face at the time.  Now he understood why Woohyun had asked him those questions.

There was a moment of silence as the pair stood staring at each other in silence.  All they could hear were the sounds of swords clashing and voices screaming.

Though there were only two of them, Sungyeol and Sungjong proved why they were Sunggyu's most trusted men and why he only brought them along knowing that a rebellion was brewing.  The two of them were enough to take on the group of men.

"Look at our boss over there having a nice little chat with his puppy while we're here doing all the hard work," said Sungyeol glancing at Sunggyu and Woohyun.

"You say that but you seem to be enjoying yourself," said Sungjong as he struck down an opponent in his way.  "You've been smiling the whole time."

Sungyeol looked at his blood stained sword and smiled before slicing his blade through the air, killing his opponent.  "There's nothing I love more than hearing the screams of my enemies.  It's like music to my ears."

Sungjong rolled his eyes.  "You're crazy.  Didn't you have enough fun with the second son?"

"He was not bad but I would have preferred to have a go with the first son," said Sungyeol.  "How was he?"

"Pretty good," Sungjong replied.  "But I was better."

Sungyeol laughed at the younger one's competitiveness.  Together they finished off the last of the rebels.  When the last man fell, Sungjong began to head over to where Sunggyu was but Sungyeol stopped him.

"Not yet," said Sungyeol, glancing at the pair.

Sungjong frowned.  "Is boss serious about him?"

"If not, he wouldn't have sent you to deal with those drunken men at the club," said Sungyeol.  "Luckily you got there on time and nothing happened or all hell would've broken loose."

Sungjong let out a disappointed sigh.  "Boss has changed."

"Why did you kill my father?" Woohyun finally asked, breaking the silence.

Sunggyu cast his eyes on the grave stone with a solemn expression then let out a deep sigh.  "My father was just a simple noodle vendor who didn't have much except for a beautiful wife.  Your father killed my father so that he could marry my mother," said Sunggyu, much to Woohyun's surprise.  "Unfortunately on the day of the wedding, the car that we were travelling in was involved in an accident on the way to the church.  My mother died and I was in a coma for some time."

Woohyun was silent as he tried to process what he had just heard.

"After waking up from the coma I had nowhere to go," said Sunggyu with a blank expression on his face.  "Both my parents were dead and I was only 16."

Hearing those words from Sunggyu made Woohyun's anger slowly dissipated.  He could only imagine what Sunggyu had gone through.

Sunggyu saw the solemn look on Woohyun's face.  Was the boy pitying him?  "While I was living on the streets I was picked up by a man.  In exchange for food and shelter I killed for him.  Before he died he named me as his successor, the next leader of the Ishimi clan but as you can see," he said, glancing at the fallen bodies.  "There are still some who are against that decision."

Sunggyu looked at Woohyun and saw the conflicting emotions on the boy's face.  He did not want to see Woohyun suffer like this but he had already made up his mind.  Taking a deep breath, he steeled himself as the ruthless leader of the Ishimi clan.

"Was everything a lie from the start?" Woohyun asked bitterly, fearing the response.

Sunggyu looked into Woohyun's eyes.  You were never part of the plan.  Neither was falling for you.  His heart wanted to say those words but his mind would not allow it.  "Yes," he replied coldly.  "My only goal was revenge."

Woohyun pursed his lips, trying to hold back tears.  Those were not the words he wanted to hear.  Why?  Why didn't Sunggyu lie to him?

Sunggyu could see the hurt in Woohyun's eyes.  His words had hurt the boy.  He smiled.  That's right.  Hate me, Woohyun.  He took several steps towards the boy but Woohyun took a step back and raised the gun in his hand, pointing it at Sunggyu.

"Stop," Woohyun cried.  "Or I'll shoot."

Sunggyu smiled.  "Go ahead," he said as he continued to approach the boy.  "This will be your one and only chance."

Sungjong and Sungyeol were both surprised upon witnessing the scene.  "What is he doing?" Sungjong asked.  "Is he out of his mind?"

Sungyeol frowned.  He really wants to die?

With each approaching step from Sunggyu, Woohyun took a step back.  "I said stop," he warned again but Sunggyu did not listen.

"Such a naive boy," Sunggyu mocked as he continued advancing towards the panic stricken boy.  "So easily fooled."

"Please stop," Woohyun begged as tears strolled down his face.

"Did you think I would have feelings for someone like you, the son of my enemy?"  Sunggyu continued.  "You're just a pawn on my chessboard.  You're nothing to me."

It was then the sound of a gun shot rang out.