Brother, Dear Brother - Chapter 15

Brother, Dear Brother

There was a long silence.  Woohyun looked at Sunggyu, hoping to see his reaction but he frowned when he saw the older man's lack of expression.  He wondered if perhaps Sunggyu was in too much shock to even react.  It frustrated him that he could not read the older man's thought.

"Say something," said Woohyun unable to deal with the silence any longer.

Sunggyu looked at the boy for a moment.  "I'm sorry."

Woohyun pursed his lips to hold back the tears.  Of course he knew the what the outcome would be but hearing the words from directly from Sunggyu's lips was like a knife to his heart.  It hurt.

"You and I..." Sunggyu spoke softly as he tried to give the boy an explanation.  "We can't.  There's too much of a difference between us.  In age, I am much older than you that it would be wrong.  In status, you're from a renowned family, the third young master of the Nam family.  I doubt anyone would approve of it."

Sunggyu's words angered Woohyun.  "I don't care what anyone else thinks," Woohyun snapped.  "I only care what you think."

"You're a nice kid, Woohyun," said Sunggyu.

Woohyun let out a bitter smile.  "In your eyes I'm only a kid.  Is that why you chose brother Myungsoo?"

Sunggyu frowned in confusion wondering what this had to do with Myungsoo.  "Myungsoo and I-"

"I understand," Woohyun said abruptly, cutting Sunggyu off.  There was no way he could win against his older brother who was better than him in every way.  He could not blame Sunggyu for choosing Myungsoo.  "I won't bother you again."


True to his word, Woohyun did not come bothering Sunggyu after that.  Sunggyu continued to open his noodle stall as normal, wondering if Woohyun would drop by but the boy was nowhere to be seen.  He assured himself that he had made the right decision to nip it in the bud before either of them could regret it.


The music was loud.  The lights were flashing.  It was busy inside the lively night club.  While everyone was immersing themselves on the dance floor, one lone figure sat at the bar drowning his sorrows at the bottom of the shot glasses lined up in front of him.

Sitting at a table nearby, Sungyeol was enjoying a drink with two women by his side when he caught sight of the lone figure sitting at the bar.  He was surprised when he recognised the familiar face.

How did he get in here? thought Sungyeol with amusement.  The bouncers sure are slack.


"Thank you for the meal," said the last customer after he had just finished his bowl of noodles.

"You're welcome," said Sunggyu.  "See you tomorrow."

After the last customer had left, Sunggyu glanced at his watch then looked up and down the street as if searching for something.  After a moment he let out a sigh and began packing up for the night.

"What were you looking for?" a voice asked.

Sunggyu turned his head and saw a tall figure approaching.  Dressed in a flashy suit as always, Sungyeol arrived with two women by his side, one clinging on each arm.

"Sungyeol, you didn't tell us that the owner is such a good looking man," one of the women commented as she cast her eyes on Sunggyu.

Sungyeol smiled playfully.  "Not as good looking as me though."

The women giggled.

"We just came by to say hi," said Sungyeol with a smile.  "Now, it's time for us to go and have some fun."

The two women giggled while Sunggyu shook his head.  They all knew what Sungyeol meant by fun.  As Sungyeol and the two women walked towards a luxury car parked up ahead, Sungyeol stopped and turned around.

"Oh, I almost forgot," said Sungyeol with a hint of amusement in his tone.  "You weren't looking for a lost puppy were you?"

Puppy? thought Sunggyu looking slightly confused.  Sungyeol knew that he did not own a puppy.

"I saw one at the club trying to drink himself to death," Sungyeol added.  "Poor thing might end up in the gutter somewhere.  Do you know how many bad wolves there are out there?  A cute puppy like that will most likely be eaten alive."

Sunggyu let out a small sigh, finally realising what Sungyeol meant.


He staggered out of the busy night club and turned into an alley where he stopped to throw up.  He was unaware of the three figures approaching him from behind with smirks upon their faces.  They had been eyeing him the whole night.