Brother, Dear Brother - Chapter 20

Brother, Dear Brother

Myungsoo drove along the road while glancing about the surroundings as if searching for something.  Woohyun did not return home last night and had ignored all his calls.  He was worried about the boy.  He glanced at his watch.  It was almost time.  If he did not go now then he would be late but he could not ignore Woohyun.  What if the boy was in trouble?

Looking into the distance he caught sight of a figure staggering along the street.  His eyes widened when he recognised the figure.  He sped up and pulled over by the side of the road.  He got out of the car and rushed over to Woohyun who was bleeding from the shoulder and leg.

"Woohyun," Myungsoo called as he grabbed the boy who looked as pale as a sheet and about ready to collapse.  He glanced at the ground and saw the trail of blood left by Woohyun.  He frowned in anger.  "What happened?  Who did this to you?"

Woohyun looked at Myungsoo.  His eyes lit up.  "Brother Myungsoo," he cried.  "Please save Sunggyu."

"Sunggyu?" Myungsoo asked with concerned.  "What happened?"

"He was shot because of me," said Woohyun.  His face faltered as he recalled the moment Sunggyu took the bullet for him.  "They took him."

Myungsoo frowned.  "Who are they?"

Woohyun shook his head.

A beeping noise interrupted their conversation.  Woohyun took out his phone and saw the message from an anonymous number.  It showed an address and a timer which was already counting down.

"I have to go," said Woohyun.  "There's no time..."

"No," said Myungsoo, pulling the boy back.  "You stay.  I'll go."

Woohyun looked at his brother with hopeful eyes.  "I'll come with you."

Myungsoo was silent.  While Woohyun turned away, Myungsoo knocked him out from behind, rendering the boy unconscious.  He carefully laid Woohyun on a nearby bench and called an ambulance.

"I promise I'll bring him back safely."


Myungsoo dialled a number on his phone was speeding through the streets to the address he had seen on Woohyun's phone.  He could not help but wonder who those people were and why they had targetted Sunggyu.  His thoughts were interrupted when his phone call was answered.

"What is it?" Dongwoo asked on the other line.

"Something's come up.  I won't be able to make it," said Myungsoo as he glanced at the time.  "You'll have to go in my stead."

"What's so urgent that you're abandoning your responsibility?" asked Dongwoo in annoyance.

"Despite being lazy, I know you're quite capable," said Myungsoo.

"Was that a backhanded compliment?" Dongwoo scoffed.  "Can't you just ask for a favour like a normal person?"

"I have to go," said Myungsoo and he ended the call.

Myungsoo stopped in front of an abandoned warehouse and surveyed the surroundings.  It was eerily quiet.  There seemed to be no one in sight.  He walked up to the door and pushed it open.  He had expected to be attacked by surprise, instead he was greeted with silence.  He took a step inside and glanced around until he caught sight of a figure slumped against the wall.

"Sunggyu," he called out as he rushed over to the unconscious man.

Sunggyu's shirt was stained with blood and the older man was pale as ever.  He checked Sunggyu's breathing before letting out a sigh of relief.  He draped Sunggyu's arm over his shoulder as he helped the older man up.

As they headed for the door, they found themselves surrounded by a group of men armed with swords.  Leading the group was a figure in a black mask.

"Welcome," said the figure.  "We've been waiting for you."

At that moment Myungsoo finally realised that he was their target and Sunggyu was just bait to lure him there.