Brother, Dear Brother - Chapter 23

Brother, Dear Brother

He ended the call and pulled up in front of the abandoned warehouse.  He stepped out of the car and looked at the building.  He stood contemplating a moment and let out a sigh before stepping inside.  There he found two bodies on the ground covered in blood.  He frowned before taking out his phone to make a call.

"This is Detective Lee," he said.  "I need an ambulance urgently."


Woohyun opened his eyes and found himself staring up at a white ceiling.  It took him a moment to gather himself before he quickly jolted up to discover that he was in a hospital bed. 

"You're awake," said a voice, startling him.

Woohyun looked and saw a man in a suit sitting beside his bed.  He recognised the man as Sunggyu's detective friend.

"I am Detective Lee," said the man.  "We've met once before."

Woohyun's eyes lit up as he started to climb out of bed.  "Sunggyu's in danger," he stated.  "I have to go save him."

Detective Lee stopped him.  "There's no need.  We found Sunggyu and both your brothers all critically injured."

Woohyun's eyes widened in horror upon hearing the news.

"Also, we found your father's car abandoned in the middle of the road," continued Detective Lee.  "His two bodyguards were found dead at the scene but he was nowhere to be found."

Woohyun could not believe what he was hearing.  He was speechless and could only stare in shock at the detective.

Detective Lee looked at the boy silently as he waited for him to process everything.  He knew that it was a lot to take in but it had to be done.  The boy's injuries were the least critical compared to the others so he had waited beside the boy's bed, expecting him to regain consciousness first.

"Why is this happening?" Woohyun finally asked.

"I'm hoping you could tell me," said Detective Lee.  "Do you know who might have a grudge against your family or your father perhaps?  Does he have any enemies?"

Woohyun looked at him in confusion.  "Enemies? My father is a businessman."

Detective Lee let out a sigh.  Perhaps the youngest son of the Nam family was not aware.  "Have you heard of the Ishimi clan?"

Woohyun narrowed his eyes.  "Ishimi clan?  What is it?"

Judging from Woohyun's reaction, Detective Lee guessed that perhaps the boy was kept in the dark.  "The Ishimi clan is a powerful and dangerous group who rule the underworld.  Rumour has it that your father is the leader."

Woohyun's eyes widened in disbelief.

"The group of men who had an altercation with your brother Myungsoo the other time, were all found dead inside an underground club later that night," Detective Lee informed.

Upon hearing the news Woohyun's expression changed a darker shade.  His eyes narrowed as he recalled that fateful night.  "They deserved it."

Detective Lee seemed startled by Woohyun's reaction.  The confused boy from a moment ago was now replaced with someone who seemed pleased to hear about the deaths of others.

"Those men probably belonged to an opposing group who are taking revenge for what happened to their members," said Detective Lee.  "If you know who they may be then you should let us know and we will catch them before there any further deaths."

Woohyun looked at the detective for a moment as if contemplating something.  "I don't know anything," he replied.  "I want to see Sunggyu and my brothers."


A pang of guilt struck Woohyun when he saw Myungsoo lying unconscious in the bed hooked up to a machine.  Dongwoo was in the same situation.  When he arrived at Sunggyu's room he paused a moment, afraid to open the door, fearing what he might see.  After taking a deep breath he stepped inside.

Sunggyu was lying in the bed hooked to an IV drip.  His face was pale as ever.  Woohyun's heart sank seeing the older man in such a state.  He approached Sunggyu's bedside and reached for the older man's hand, holding it tight.  Recalling that Sunggyu had taken a bullet for him pained him deeply.  It was all his fault that Sunggyu was caught up in this.

"Sunggyu," he whispered as tears welled up in his eyes.  "I'm so sorry.  It's my fault.  I'm so sorry."

He continued to apologise to the unconscious man as his tears fell.

After a moment, he stifled his tears before leaning down to place a gentle kiss on Sunggyu's forehead.

"I love you," he whispered to the older man before his eyes narrowed in anger.  "I'll find them.  I'll make them pay for hurting you."

He stood up about to walk away when he felt a hand holding onto his.

"Don't go," he heard a weak voice say.