Brother, Dear Brother - Chapter 24

Brother, Dear Brother

Woohyun's eyes lit up upon hearing the familiar voice.  He turned his head to look back and saw Sunggyu clutching onto his hand.  A sense of joy and relief swept over him when he caught Sunggyu's eyes.  He immediately rushed forward and embraced the older man, squeezing him so tight that Sunggyu grimaced.  For a moment Woohyun had forgotten about Sunggyu's wound.  When he finally remembered, he quickly released Sunggyu.

"I'm so sorry," Woohyun apologised.  "Are you okay?"

Sunggyu gave him a gentle smile.  "I'm fine."

Woohyun lowered his head solemnly.  "I'm sorry."

"Why are you apologising again?" Sunggyu asked.

"You got hurt because of me," Woohyun replied.  "It's all my fault.  I'm sorry."

Sunggyu smiled.  "It's not your fault," he assured the boy.  "The truth is, when I saw you in danger my body reacted before I could think.  Besides, I wasn't going to stand there and watch them shoot you."

Hearing those words from Sunggyu made Woohyun tear up.  "You could have died."

"My life for yours, it's worth it," said Sunggyu with a smile.

As much as Woohyun was happy to hear those words from Sunggyu, he was filled with anguish when he recalled what Sunggyu had told him before.  "Why do you say such things?" Woohyun asked.  "If you keep saying those words then I might get my hopes up again."

Sunggyu was quiet for a moment.  "Woohyun," he finally said.  "Listen carefully.  There is nothing going on between Myungsoo and I.  I see him and Dongwoo as younger brothers and you..." 

Woohyun looked at Sunggyu, dreading to hear those words which were about to come from Sunggyu's mouth.  He did not want to be brothers with Sunggyu.

Sunggyu's expression softened.  "I can't say the same about you."

It took a while for Sunggyu's words to sink in until Woohyun finally understood what Sunggyu meant.  He looked at Sunggyu in surprise.  Sunggyu did not see him as a brother?

"I've tried to stop it but it seems I am unable to do so," said Sunggyu.  "I'm a terrible man aren't I?"

"No, you're not!" Woohyun exclaimed as he embraced the older man once again.

Sunggyu smiled and reached out his arms to return the embrace only to stop and clutch at his chest instead.  Woohyun noticed this and grew worried, not knowing what was wrong with the older man.

"Sunggyu, what's wrong?" Woohyun asked panicking.  "Are you in pain?  I'll go call the doctor."

Sunggyu shook his head despite his face twisted in pain.  "No need," he said as he gripped the boy's arm.  "It'll pass."

"What do you mean it'll pass?"  Woohyun asked in confusion and worry, noticing how tight Sunggyu was gripping onto his arm.

"It's just an old illness," Sunggyu replied while trying to suppress the pain.  He did not want Woohyun to worry.

After a moment, the pain seemed to slowly subside.  Sunggyu took several deep breaths as his expression relaxed.  He looked at Woohyun who was staring at him with a worried look on his face.  Sunggyu managed a weak smile to assure the boy.

"What happened?" Woohyun asked.  "Are you okay?"

Sunggyu nodded.  "I have a bad heart," he admitted.  "On a good day, the pain lasts a few minutes.  On a bad day, I just pass out and hope that I wake up again."

Woohyun recalled the time he saw Sunggyu collapse at the stall.  Back then he did not realise how bad Sunggyu's condition was.  "How can you joke like that?  Do you know how worried I was?" said Woohyun scoldingly.  "You scared me."

Sunggyu had tried to make light of the situation but it seemed that Woohyun was not buying it.  "I'm sorry."

"How did this happen?" Woohyun asked.

"It was accident a long time ago which left me in a coma for a period of time," said Sunggyu.

Despite Sunggyu's words, Woohyun noticed the older man grimacing.  He was probably still in pain but was trying to hide it.

"I'm going to call the doctor to make sure you're okay," said Woohyun.

He walked out the door before Sunggyu could protest.


Woohyun grabbed the first doctor he could find, a man in a surgical gown and face mask and dragged him into Sunggyu's room.  It was lucky that the doctor was not heading in to surgery otherwise he would not have allowed himself to be dragged along like that.

"Sorry doctor," Woohyun apologised for being so persistent.  "He's in a lot of pain.  Can you please take a look at him?"

The doctor obliged and checked Sunggyu before administering a shot which seemed to ease Sunggyu's pain and also put the older man to sleep.

"He'll be alright.  You should let him rest," said the doctor before walking out.

Woohyun thanked the doctor and was about to head back to Sunggyu's bedside until he saw detective Lee approaching.  He frowned.

"We need to talk," said detective Lee.  "It's important."

Woohyun let out a sigh before glancing back to look at Sunggyu who was sleeping in his bed.  Woohyun nodded.  He stepped out of the room, closing the door behind him before following detective Lee down the corridoor.


"His body has been found," he informed.  "What do you want us to do now?"

He sighed.  "You seem to be enjoying your new role, why don't you tell me?"

"I dare not.  You're now the boss of the Ishimi clan, we only obey your orders."