Brother, Dear Brother - Chapter 21

Brother, Dear Brother

Myungsoo surveyed his enemies.  He was outnumbered and unarmed but that was not what had him worried.  He glanced at the unconscious man beside him and frowned.  Escaping here would be an easy task if it was just him but he was not going to leave Sunggyu behind.

"Rumour has it that the first young master of the Nam family is highly skilled.  Let's see if it's true," said the masked figure as he threw his sword over to Myungsoo.

Myungsoo was surprised by the masked figure's action but with his quick reflexes he caught the sword with his free hand.  He watched as one of the men handed the masked figure another sword.  It seemed that the masked figure wanted a dual.

"If you win, you can leave," stated the masked figure.  "But if you lose, you both die here."

With those words, the masked figure charged forward.  Myungsoo gripped the sword with one hand while his other hand held onto Sunggyu, ready for the onslaught of attacks that were about to follow. 

The masked figure struck his sword down while Myungsoo raised his to defend.  There was a loud clash as their swords collided, igniting sparks.  Their swords locked for a few seconds longer before the masked figure pulled away and struck again and again.  His speed with the sword caught Myungsoo by surprise.  Though Myungsoo could block each he knew that he was at a disadvantage but he refused to let go of Sunggyu.  The masked figure knew this and began to attack from Sunggyu's side causing Myungsoo to shift their position so that Sunggyu was out of harm's way.  Realising Myungsoo's weakness, the masked figure used it to his advantage and continued to attack from Sunggyu's side.  With a mighty swing, the masked figure brought his sword down aiming for Sunggyu. 

In that moment, Myungsoo could not block the attack with his sword so he pulled Sunggyu close and shielded the unconscious man with his body.  Myungsoo clenched his teeth when he felt the blade rip into his skin, piercing his flesh and opening a deep gash on his back.

"He's a burden," said the masked figure.  "Why don't you put him down and show me what you're really capable of or would you prefer to die here with him?"

Despite the taunts, Myungsoo refused to do so.

"Well then," said the masked figure.  "I'll let you both die together."


Stepping out of the airport with two bodyguards by his side, Mr Nam was surprised to be greeted by Dongwoo and four men.

"What are you doing here?" Mr Nam asked with a frown upon his face.  "Where's Myungsoo?"

Despite his father's reaction upon seeing him, Dongwoo smiled.  He knew what his father was like .  After all, he was just the second son, the forgotten one.

"Greetings father," said Dongwoo.  "Myungsoo had something urgent to take attend to so he asked me to come instead."

Mr Nam hardly seemed impressed.


Dongwoo and Mr Nam sat in one car with the two bodyguards while the rest of the men followed in a second car.  As they drove along the road, the car came to an abrupt halt, causing Dongwoo and Mr Nam to jerk forward.

"What is going on?" Mr Nam asked, frowning in annoyance.

"Sorry Sir," said the driver.  "There's an accident ahead."

They looked and saw two cars in a head on collision blocking the way.  The occupants of the cars were standing there seemingly arguing with each other.

"Reverse back and go another way," said Dongwoo.

Before they could do so, another three cars pulled up behind them, blocking their exit.  At this stage, Dongwoo figured that something was not right but it was too late.  The occupants of the cars involved in the accident drew out guns and began shooting at them.

"Get down!" Dongwoo shouted as he pushed Mr Nam down to avoid the hail of bullets.  At times like these, Dongwoo was glad that their cars were bullet proof.  That damn Myungsoo, he cursed.  Did he know that this was going to happen?  Is that why he asked me to go instead?

After a moment the hail of bullets ceased.  Dongwoo looked up and saw the attackers approaching with swords.  He glanced behind and saw more men coming out from the three cars.  All of them were armed with swords.  He knew that they could not remain hiding like this.

"You two listen up," said Dongwoo to the two bodyguards.  "I'm going to deal with those guys.  While I do that, find an opportunity and take my father to safety.  Whatever you do, do not get out of the car.  Got that?"

The two bodyguards nodded.

"What are you planning to do?" Mr Nam asked.  "There's no way you can defeat them."

"It's nice to know you have so much faith in me, father," Dongwoo scoffed.  "Don't forget that I am your son too."

With those words Dongwoo got out of the car, along with the four men in the second car.