Brother, Dear Brother - Chapter 5

Brother, Dear Brother

Upon hearing his name, Sunggyu raised his eyes to see who had called him.  He saw a handsome young man standing there staring at him.  He did not know who this young man was but he decided to smile to be polite.

The young man's face faltered when he realised that the older man did not recognise him.  What shocked him even more was seeing the large dark bruise on Sunggyu's cheek, the cut on the side of his lip and the small white bandage on the side of his forehead.  Knowing that Sunggyu was beaten up to such an extent caused anger to ripple through him.  He clenched his fists until he felt his nails dig into the palm of his hands.

"Are you okay?" Sunggyu asked, noticing the anger on the young man's face.

He jolted upon hearing Sunggyu's voice.  For a moment he had forgotten where he was.  He slowly released his fists and forced a smile.  He could not blame Sunggyu for not recognising him.  He had changed so much in all these years.  He was no longer the foolish boy he once was.  Sunggyu, on the other hand, did not seem to have aged a day.

"I..." he paused a moment to contemplate his words.  "I've heard that you make the best noodles around here so I  thought that I would try it out myself, if I may."

Sunggyu smiled.  He did not question why a well dressed young man who looked more suited to fine dining would rather eat at a street stall.  "Sure thing.  Please take a seat."


He glanced at the clock.  It was getting late.  He was getting anxious.  He got up and started pacing around the room until he heard the door unlock.  He ran towards the door excitedly as the young man stepped inside.

"Did you find him?" he asked eagerly.  "How is he?  Is he alright?"

"Some slight bruises but nothing too serious," replied the young man, noticing the sigh of relief from the boy.  He then handed the boy a plastic bag.  "Here, I got you something."

"What is it?" he asked as he peered inside the bag.

"You were right," agreed the young man.  "His noodles were delicious."

The boy smiled at the sight of the noodles in a takeaway box.

"I've done what you've asked," said the young man.  "Don't forgot what you've promised."

The smile slowly disappeared from the boy's face, replaced by a pout.  "Fine," he said begrudgingly.

The young man smiled with satisfaction and gently patted the boy on the head.  "Hurry up and eat it before it gets cold.  When you're finished, tell the guards and I'll come and get you."

The boy nodded.


After the young man excited the room, the two guards closed the door and locked it.  As he was about to walk away he noticed a figure in a suit standing there leaning leisurely against the wall with arms folded across his chest.

"Where have you been?" the figure asked.  "The old man was looking for you."

"I'll go see him shortly," said the young man.

"How's the brat?" asked the figure, nonchalantly.

"He's not a brat," he retorted angrily.

The figure smirked at the young man's reaction.  "But for a brat, he's sure got some guts to dare defy the old man.  I didn't think he had it in him.  I'm starting to see him in a different light now."

The young man frowned.  "Did you put him up to this?"

"It's not like I put a gun to his head," the smirking figure replied casually.  "Maybe a few encouraging words."

The young man was silent for a brief moment before he glared at the figure.  "Even if you want to test the waters, don't use him."

"Why not?" the figure asked, the smirk still on his face.  "You and I both know that he's the old man's favourite."  


Standing outside the double doors of the room, he glanced at the boy standing beside him and gave him a reassuring smile.

"It's going to be okay," he assured the reluctant boy.  "Just do what you need to do."

The boy nodded.  He took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

"Father, it's me, Woohyun" he announced.  "I've come to apologise."