Brother, Dear Brother - Chapter 10

Brother, Dear Brother

Ever since he was little, Myungsoo would often play with him and take him places.  All the wonderful memories he had as a child was all thanks to Myungsoo, the only person in the family who cared about him.  Woohyun's eyes brimmed with tears as these thoughts filled his mind.

Brother, please be alright.

As he stood waiting anxiously he felt a gentle hand on his shoulder.  He turned around and saw Sunggyu standing there.  Upon seeing the older man's face, he could no longer contain his emotions.  Like a child, his tears strolled down his cheeks.  Sunggyu pulled the boy into his embrace.  Woohyun cried into the older man's chest while Sunggyu held him, gently his hair to comfort him.

"It's going to be alright," Sunggyu whispered softly.  "Your brother's going to be okay."

Woohyun nodded but continued crying until his tears soaked the shirt on Sunggyu's chest.  Sunggyu did not mind as he allowed the boy to pour his emotions out.  Woohyun remained in Sunggyu's embrace until his tears slowly reduced to sobs.

"My father said tears are a sign of weakness," said Woohyun as he tried to stifle tears.  "I shouldn't cry."

Sunggyu frowned.  "That's not true," he said as he raised a hand to gently wipe the tears on Woohyun's face.

Their conversation was interrupted when the door to the emergency room opened and a doctor stepped out.

"Doctor, how is my brother?" Woohyun asked eagerly.

The doctor gave him a reassuring nod.  "He's still unconscious but he'll be okay.  We'll move him into private room where you can visit him."


Sunggyu stood and glanced around the spacious room which looked very much like a luxury hotel room with it's own lounge suite and a large tv which almost took up the entire space on one side of the wall.  In the centre of the room, Myungsoo lay unconscious on the comfortable looking bed with an IV drip attached to his hand.  Woohyun sat on a chair beside the bed and watched over his brother.  Sunggyu kept him company.

The hours passed and there was no sign of Myungsoo waking up but Woohyun refused to leave.  Sunggyu knew that the boy was worried about his brother but he noticed that Woohyun was getting tired.  The boy was barely able to keep his eyes opened and would nod off every now and then only to jolt himself awake.

Several hours later, Woohyun was at his limit.  He had dozed off and was resting his head against Sunggyu's shoulder.  Sunggyu did not dare to move as he did not want to wake the exhausted boy.  He remained sitting like that until a nurse came in to check on Myungsoo's condition.

"The patient probably won't be awake any time soon," she whispered, not wanting to wake anyone.  "You two should go get some rest too."

"He doesn't want to leave his brother's side," Sunggyu replied in a soft voice.  "And I can't leave him by himself."

She nodded then contemplated a moment.  "There's a private waiting room next door, would you like to use it?"

Sunggyu glanced at the sleeping Woohyun.

He carefully scooped Woohyun up in his arms and carried him into the next room.  The private waiting room was just as luxurious as the previous room.  Sunggyu walked over to the bed and slowly placed Woohyun down.  The sleeping boy stirred a little before drifting back to sleep.  Sunggyu proceeded to take off Woohyun's shoes before pulling the blanket over him.  As he was about to walk away, he felt a grip on his wrist.

"Don't leave me," Woohyun pleaded, though his eyes were closed and it seemed he was still sleeping.  "Please don't leave me."

Sunggyu wondered if Woohyun was dreaming and talking in his sleep.  He tried to pull away but Woohyun kept a firm grip.  Sunggyu let out a resigned sigh.  Not wanting to risk waking the boy, Sunggyu sat down on the chair beside the bed.


Some time later a figure entered the room and found Sunggyu fast asleep beside Woohyun's bed.  The figure smirked upon seeing the sight.


"Soon, you're going to have a new older brother," the man announced.

Brother? he thought in horror.  No, I don't want it.  I don't need an older brother.  I don't want him to be my older brother.  No!

His eyes shot up.  He stared up at the white ceiling for a moment to recollect his thoughts before he noticed a figure sitting on a chair beside his bed, peeling an apple.  His eyes narrowed upon realising who it was. 

"Dongwoo, what are you doing here?" he asked coldly.

"Can't I come to visit my brother?" the young man asked before taking a bite from his peeled apple.  "Look, I even brought you a basket of fruit and everything."  He nodded to the big basket of fruit on the table.

Myungsoo hardly seemed convinced by Dongwoo's words.  "Why are you here?" he asked again.

"Like I said-"

"Cut the crap!" Myungsoo interjected, knowing all too well what his brother was like.  There was no way Dongwoo was here out of concern for his well being.

Dongwoo smiled.  He liked seeing Myungsoo riled up.  "The brat rang, crying, saying that you were stabbed.  The way he was in hysterics I thought they got you good so as a brother I figured I should at least come and say goodbye."  He stopped and let out a disappointed sigh.  "I guess hell didn't want you either, huh?"

After so many years Myungsoo had grown accustomed to Dongwoo's snarky remarks.  "You can leave now."

"You know, I was curious," Dongwoo continued.  "Others may not know the real you but I do.  You're not one to interfere with a random street attack.  What could possibly have made you change your mind?  And then I saw him.  Your childhood crush.  He hasn't changed much in all these years."

Myungsoo frowned but remained silent.  He did not want to entertain Dongwoo with a response.

Dongwoo smiled upon seeing the frown on Myungsoo's face.  "I know everything, dear brother," he said.  "About your little crush.  Wasn't that the reason why you were so angry when you realised that he was going to become your brother?  I even know what you did."

"What are you talking about?" Myungsoo finally asked.

"You don't have to worry," said Dongwoo, the smile still plastered on his face.  "Unlike the brat, you and I are true brothers.  I won't tell anyone.  It will be our little secret."