Brother, Dear Brother - Chapter 9

Brother, Dear Brother

Sunggyu could do nothing but stand aside and watch in worry as the young man fought with his attackers.  Sunggyu had prepared himself to be on the receiving end of that fist but he was surprised when the young man had intervened.  It took him a moment but he recognised the young man dressed in the fine shirt.  He remembered the faces of all of his customers, most of which were regulars at his stall but the young man stood out from the rest despite only having visited his stall once.  The young man was not like his other customers.  There was an aura about him yet he could not quite pinpoint what it was.  He seemed kind and pleasant yet somehow cold and dangerous like a beautiful rose that would prick your fingers if you touched it.

That was Sunggyu's first impression of him but seeing the young man now fighting for his sake, Sunggyu could not help but feel guilty for thinking such thoughts.  Sunggyu realised that looks were deceiving.  He did not expect that someone looking like a businessman could hold his own against a group of men.

Amidst the chaos, Sunggyu's eyes caught sight of one of the men approaching the young man from behind.  It was what Sunggyu saw in the man's hand that had him worried.

"Watch out!" Sunggyu shouted.  "Behind you!"

Upon hearing Sunggyu's voice, the young man turned around but was caught off guard when he felt the knife plunge into hs stomach. 

"Should have minded your own business," said the man before he pulled the knife out and plunged it in again.

Sunggyu's eyes widened in horror.  "Stop!" he shouted, trying to intervene but was pushed aside by the men who had shifted their focus on the young man instead.

The man pulled the knife out and plunged it in again but the young man managed to grab the blade with his hand.  The man tried to pull pull his knife away but the young man held a firm grip despite bleeding from his wounds.  His white shirt was now stained red.

"What are you doing?" a voice shouted out.

When the men saw who it was, they immediately left the scene.  Sunggyu rushed over to the young man.  Despite bleeding heavily from his wounds the young man remained calm, showing little emotion on his face while Sunggyu was in a panic-striken state.  Sunggyu placed his hands over the young man's stomach to try and stop the bleeding.

"Are you alright?" the young man asked him much to Sunggyu's surprise.

"You're the one that's injured," said Sunggyu trying not to scold him.

"Are you worried about me?" the young man asked as if it was unusual for someone to be concerned in such a situation.

"Of course," Sunggyu replied.

The young man smiled upon hearing Sunggyu's words.

"What's going on?" Detective Lee asked as he rushed towards them.  "What happened?"

Sunggyu was relieved to see Detective Lee.  "Please call an ambulance.  He was stabbed."

Detective Lee nodded and quickly dialled his phone.

"Brother!" Woohyun cried as he ran over to the young man.

Brother? thought Sunggyu in surprise.


Woohyun stood waiting anxiously for his brother in front of the emergency room while Sunggyu sat on the bench looking exhausted from worry.  He sat staring down at his blood stained hands as he tried to process all that had happened.  A moment later, Detective Lee arrived and sat down beside him.

"I've checked," said Detective Lee in a soft voice.  "He's the eldest son and heir to the Nam Financial Empire."

Sunggyu nodded in acknowledgement, a bitter smile upon his face.  "It's been 17 years.  He's grown so much I didn't recognise him.  Myungsoo."