Brother, Dear Brother - Final

Brother, Dear Brother

Woohyun's eyes widened in horror as the gun dropped from his trembling hand.  He shook his head in disbelief as tears strolled down his face.  "Sunggyu," he cried.

Sunggyu glanced down at the front of his shirt.  A red stain had formed in the spot where the bullet had lodged itself in his chest.  His reaction was surprisingly calm for someone who had just been shot.  He looked up at the grief stricken boy and smiled before collapsing to the ground.

Woohyun wanted to run over to Sunggyu's side but Sungjong and Sungyeol beat him to it.

"Boss!" they called out as they rushed to their leader's side.

"I'm sorry," Woohyun cried.  "I didn't mean to shoot.  I'm so sorry, I..."

"You don't have to apologise," said Sunggyu with a smile as blood trickled down the side of his mouth.  "If I have to die then I'd rather it be by your hands."

Hearing Sunggyu's words broke Woohyun.  How could the older man still smile in such a situation?  He could no longer hold back his tears as he cried uncontrollably.

Guilt consumed Sunggyu upon seeing the boy's tears.  Despite being the one that was shot and at death's door, Sunggyu could not bear to see the boy suffer.  How he wished that things had turned out differently but it was too late now.  He knew from the start that this was the only end for him.

"I'm sorry," said Sunggyu before he closed his eyes and fell into a deep sleep.

"Boss!" Sungjong called out while shaking Sunggyu's unresponsive body.

Sungyeol seemed to be the only calm one.  He checked Sunggyu's vitals and after a moment let out a deep sigh.  "He's gone," Sungyeol declared much to Woohyun's shock and disbelief.

Woohyun dropped to his knees.  "No," he cried while shaking his head, refusing to believe Sungyeol's words.

"You've taken vengeance for your father," said Sungyeol.  "Are you happy now?"

With those words Sungyeol and Sungjong carried their leader's body away.  Woohyun was too shocked to move.  He remained there even as the rain fell, unaware that a figure had witnessed the whole incident from the shadows.


For the next few weeks, Woohyun would go to the spot where Sunggyu's noodle cart used to be, hoping to see the older man but each time he was met with disappointment.  Sunggyu was no longer there.

When detective Lee drove by the street one late rainy evening, he spotted Woohyun standing there.  The boy was soaked from head to toe and seemed to be in a daze.  Detective Lee let out a sigh before pulling over to the side of the street.  He took an umbrella and approached the boy.

"Do you realise it's raining?" Detective Lee asked as he shielded them both with the umbrella in his hand.

Woohyun's face lit up as he raised his head but his expression faltered upon realising who it was.

"There's a rumour that the leader of the Ishimi clan has died," said detective Lee, trying to gauge a reaction from Woohyun.

Woohyun lowered his head.  "Did you know all along?"

Detective Lee shook his head.  "No," he admitted.  "He had me fooled all these years but I don't blame him.  He did what I couldn't do as a policeman, bringing his parents killer to justice." 

Woohyun was silent as he contemplated the detective words.  He knew that his father was responsible for Sunggyu's father's death but Sunggyu had told him that his mother had died in a car accident. 

"Didn't his mother die in a car accident?" Woohyun asked in confusion.

Detective Lee let out a deep sigh.  "It appeared that way but after an investigation we found out that the brakes were tampered with."

Woohyun's eyes widened in surprise.  "Did Sunggyu know?"

Detective Lee nodded.  "After he came out of the coma, I told him," he said.  "It seemed someone did not want his mother to be married into the Nam family.  After that, he disappeared."

Woohyun frowned in confusion.  He cast his mind back to that fateful night.  He remembered only see one lonely grave on that hill and it belonged to Sunggyu's father.  Where was his mother's grave?


Unbeknownst to the pair, three figures stood watching them from a distance and out of sight. 

The tall figure let out a sigh.  "Are you regretting your decision?"

"No," another figure replied.  "It's better this way.  He'll eventually find out what kind of person I really am so it's better to end things now before that happens."  With those words, he turned and walked away.

"Boss, wait up," said the young figure running after his leader to shield the umbrella over his head.

The tall figure smiled and followed them.

 

 

The End.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's note:

Hope you all figured out who was responsible for the accident.

Thank you for reading.