Brother, Dear Brother - Chapter 2

Brother, Dear Brother

The boy raised his head and was surprised to see the owner of the food cart standing in front of him.  The older man was was holding an umbrella in his hand and leaning over to shield them both from the rain.

"Why are you sitting here?" the man asked with concern.  "It's raining.  You'll get sick."

"I..." the boy began with much hesitation.

The man sighed.  It was a good thing that he had decided to go after the boy upon noticing his reluctance to go home earlier.  Why would a boy like him be out on the streets at this time of the night?

"Why don't you go home?" the older man asked.  "Your family will be worried."

The boy shook his head in silence.

"Are you in some kind of trouble?" the man asked.

The boy looked at older man for a moment as if contemplating something before finally nodding his head.

"Should we go to the police?" the older man suggested.

At the mention of the word police, the boy's eyes widened in shock as he quickly shook his head.

What kind of trouble could he be in to make him that frightened to even to go the police? thought the man.  Regardless, his conscience would not allow him to ignore the boy.

"Then do you want to come to my place?" the older man asked.

The boy looked at him in surprise.

"I wouldn't suggest following strangers home," said the man.  "But I can't have it on my conscience if something were to happen to you."

The older man extended a hand out and waited until the boy finally decided to reach out and accept his offer.  He helped the boy up and realised that the boy's hand was cold and he was shivering.

"Here, hold this," said the man, handing his umbrella for the boy to hold.  He then took off his jacket and handed it to the boy.  "Wear that or you'll catch a cold."

The boy looked at the jacket and then at the man who was now left with a thin long sleeve shirt.  "What about you?"

"It's fine," assured the older man.  "I'm used to it.  Old people don't get cold easily."

Old? thought the boy with a frown upon his face.

"Quickly wear it on, " said the man as he exchanged his jacket for the umbrella.

The boy nodded and took the jacket.  Truth be told, he was freezing and was grateful for the much needed warmth.

Sharing an umbrella between them, the pair headed back to the older man's house.  They hadn't gone far when a black SUV approached their way. 

Upon seeing the car, the boy's eyes widened in shock as he halted his steps.  "Oh no," he gasped.  "They've found me."

The older man also stopped and looked at the boy.  "What's wrong?"

Before the boy could answer, four tough looking men in black came out of the van and approached them.  The boy tried to make a run for it but was not quick enough.  Two of the men grabbed his arms and restrained him.

"You've caused us a lot of trouble tonight," said one of the men.  "Let's go."

"No!" he shouted as he struggled furiously but to no avail.  "Let me go!"

"Hey, what are you doing?" the older man asked, trying to intervene.

"Mind your own business," one of the men spoke in a threatening tone.

Despite the warning, the older man refused to stand by and watch them take the boy away.  "Let him go," he demanded as he tried to reach for the boy.

One of the men pulled him back and swung a fist at the older man's face.  Unable to evade the blow, the older man felt the man's knuckle connect with the side of his face.  The force was so great that the older man stumbled to the ground and the umbrella escaped his hold.  The man stood over the fallen older man and delivered several more blows.

"Stop!" the boy shouted seeing the older man on the ground.  "Don't hurt him!"

The man only stopped when he saw that his victim was unconscious.  Despite the boy's protest, the four men dragged him into the car and drove away, leaving behind the unconscious figure in the rain.