Brother, Dear Brother - Chapter 3

Brother, Dear Brother

He slowly opened his eyes and found himself staring up at an unfamiliar white ceiling.  His eyes scanned the four white walls of the room.  As he wondered where he was, his eyes caught sight of the two figures standing by the door, too occupied with their conversation to realise that he had regained consciousness.

The tall man in a suit with the top three buttons of his shirt undone was standing there talking to a woman who seemed to be blushing.

"What time does your shift finish tonight?" the tall man asked in a playful tone.  "Care to join me for a late night snack?"

The woman smiled.  "I have the late shift tonight.  You'll be waiting awhile."

"For such a beautiful woman like yourself I am willing to wait an eternity."

Upon hearing their conversation, he soon realised that the tall man was shamelessly flirting with the woman dressed in a nurse uniform.  He also realised that he was lying in a hospital bed.  He finally recalled what had happened and  quickly sat up.  The nurse caught sight of him trying to get up.  She broke away from the conversation and quickly rushed over to help him.

"Oh, you're awake," she exclaimed, helping him to sit up.  "I'll go inform the doctor."  She quickly rushed out the door.

The tall man let out a disappointed sigh as he slowly walked over and stood beside the bed.  "You couldn't have waited just a few seconds longer?  I was about to score."

"I'm sorry," he apologised.  "Was it you who brought me here?"

"Why else would I be here?" the tall man asked.  "Did you get robbed?"

He shook his head.  "No, I..."  He let out a gasp upon recalling the events that unfolded then quickly climbed out of bed.

"Woah!  Where are you going?" the tall man asked as he stood in his way.  "Doctor didn't say you could go yet."

"I have to report to the police," he replied.

The tall man's eyes lit up.  "You know who robbed you?"

He shook his head.  "No, I wasn't robbed."

The tall man frowned.  "Then what?"

"I have to report a kidnapping."


Unable to let the man go by himself, the tall man accompanied him to the nearest police station.  He stood tapping his fingers on the desk as he listened to the man trying to explain the situation to the uniformed officer for the umpteenth time.

"So, four men in a black SUV beat you up and kidnapped the boy," the officer reaffirmed.  "And you don't know the boy's name or the car's number plate."

The man nodded while the officer sighed.


The pair left the police station with the man looking dejected.  He could tell that the officer did not take him seriously and he could not blame him.  He did not know the boy's name or who he was nor was he able to get the car's registration.

"Hey, cheer up," said the tall man as he placed his arm over the dejected man's shoulder.  "You've done what you could.  Let the police deal with the rest.  Come on, I'll take you home.  You need to get some shut eye."

The man shook his head.  "How can I?  He was kidnapped right in front of me and I couldn't do anything to save him."

"You tried, didn't you?" said the tall man.  "Look on the bright side, if they kidnapped him it means that they need him for something, right?  Which means that they won't kill him yet.  Am I right or am I right?"


He was slipping in and out of consciousness.  His body felt weak.  he had no strength left to even move a muscle.  In the darkened room, he caught a glimpse of a figure standing there looking at him.  The figure approached the bed and reached out a hand towards him.  It was then everything went dark.