Brother, Dear Brother - Chapter 7

Brother, Dear Brother

When Sunggyu opened his eyes, the first thing he saw was a figure sitting on a chair beside his bed.  He recognised that face.  "Sungyeol?" he said.  He figured that Sungyeol must have found him as always.

Sungyeol flashed him a smile, happy to see the older man regain consciousness.  "Good to have you back."

"I'm sorry for causing you trouble," Sunggyu apologised.

The smile disappeared from Sungyeol's face only to be replaced with a frown.  "You had me worried.  I came by and found your stall abandoned there and you were nowhere to be found."

Upon hearing Sungyeol's words, Sunggyu frowned in confusion.

"Luckily I was informed that you were taken away in an ambulance," Sungyeol continued.  "So I rushed here, even abandoning my clients."

"I'm sorry," Sunggyu apologised again when he realised that he had interrupted Sungyeol during his work hours once again.  "But if you didn't bring me here then do you know who brought me here?  I need to thank them."

"Right there," Sungyeol replied, indicating with a nod of his head.

Sunggyu turned his head to the other side of the bed and and found Woohyun sitting in a seat beside the bed fast asleep.  His eyes widened in surprise.  He was not expecting to see the boy again after their previous exchange.

"Looks like he called the ambulance," said Sungyeol.  "The nurses told me that he was so worried about you that they thought he was a family member.  He was pleading with them to save you.  They said he looked so distressed and was almost in tears.  He waited outside the emergency room and hasn't left your side.  Heard he tried to stay awake but he must've been really tired.  It's way past his bed time you know."

Sunggyu was quiet for a moment as he looked at the sleeping boy.

"So," said Sungyeol.  "Who is he?  How long have you known him for him to be that worried about you?"

"He's the boy who was kidnapped," replied Sunggyu.

"Well, looks like he's okay now," said Sungyeol, looking the boy up and down. "Judging by his school uniform, must be a rich kid."

A smile appeared on Sunggyu's face.  "I'm glad he is alright," he said before he tossed back the blankets and proceeded to climb out of bed.

"What are you doing?" Sungyeol asked, getting up from him seat to stop the older man.  "The doctor said they're going to keep you overnight just in case so you're not going anywhere."

"Help me put him on the bed," said Sunggyu.  "It must be uncomfortable sleeping in that chair."

"Are you forgetting that you're the patient?" Sungyeol asked.

"I'm fine now," said Sunggyu, brushing the matter aside.

Sungyeol sighed at Sunggyu's stubbornness.  "Just put a blanket on him," he suggested.  "You'll wake him up if you move him."

Heeding to Sungyeol's advice, Sunggyu took a blanket and walked over to Woohyun.  He bent over and placed the blanket ever so gently over Woohyun's sleeping form.  He was careful not to wake the boy but seeing the boy's eyes slowly open caught him by surprise.

The first thing Woohyun saw was Sunggyu's face staring back at him.  The next thing he realised was how close their faces were.  His heart began racing inside his chest.  The pair remained still, eyes locked on each other in a silent trance.

"Ahem!"

Upon hearing the voice, the pair jerked backed to reality.  Sunggyu straightened himself up and took a step back to create distance between him and the boy.

"You both realise that I'm still here yeah?" said Sungyeol with eyebrows raised.

Woohyun looked down and saw the blanket draped over his body.  He then realised the reason why the older man was so close to him.  For a moment he had thought otherwise.  How stupid, thought Woohyun to himself.  How could you even think of such things?

"I'm sorry," Sunggyu apologised.  "I didn't mean to disturb you."

Woohyun stood up and smiled, relieved to see that the older man was awake.  "Are you alright?" he asked anxiously.

Sunggyu nodded.  "I'm fine.  It's an old medical condition I have," he replied.  "Thank you for your help."

Medical condition? thought Woohyun.  What is the condition?  How did it happen?  Is it serious?  There were so many questions he wanted to ask but he did not know how to do so.  And then it hit him.  Why was he so worried about this man he barely knew?  Why did it scare him so much to see this man in pain?  Why did he think that the man was going to kiss him before?  But most of all, why did he think that he would not have minded at all if they did kiss?

"Alrighty then," said Sungyeol, breaking the silence.  "Now that Sunggyu's better, where do you live kid?  As a responsible adult, I'll take you home.  It's late."

Woohyun glanced at the clock on the wall.  He was too concerned with Sunggyu that he had forgotten the time.  "It's okay, I can go home by myself."

"It's dangerous at this time of the night," said Sunggyu.

"Yeah," said Sungyeol.  "Can't have you kidnapped again or my friend Sunggyu here will make another report to the police."

Woohyun was surprised to hear Sungyeol's words.  It seemed that the older man was worried about him enough to care.  He could not help but feel a little happy inside.  "I wasn't kidnapped.  They were my father's people," Woohyun explained, much to Sunggyu's surprise.  "I had an argument with my father and ran away from home.  He sent them to bring me back."  Woohyun cast his eyes at Sunggyu.  "I'm sorry," he said, lowering his head.  "If I had just obediently gone back with them then you wouldn't have gotten hurt for trying to help me.  I'm so sorry."

Sunggyu smiled and shook his head.  "No need to apologise," he said.  "The important thing is that you're okay."


After insisting that he would go home by himself, Woohyun exited the hospital and took out his phone.  He took a deep breath before he switched the phone on.  As expected, his phone was filled with a flood of missed calls and messages.  He dialled a number and waited.  Surprisingly, the call was answered within seconds.

"Woohyun, where are you?  Do you know what time it is?" the voice on the other line scolded.

"I'm at the hospital," he replied.

"Hospital?  What happened?" asked the frantic voice.  "Are you alright?"

"I'm alright," he said.  "It's not me.  It's the owner of the noodle stall.  I saw him collapsed on the street so I took him to the hospital."

There was a moment's silence on the other line.  Woohyun wondered if the call had disconnected until he heard the voice again.

"I've sent a car to pick you up.  Just wait there."


Woohyun did as was instructed and stood waiting at the gates of the hospital.  Before long, a black luxury car pulled up beside him.  Woohyun got into the car and it drove off.  When the black car was out of sight, a white luxury sports car pulled up into the hospital parking.


Obeying the doctor's orders, Sunggyu spent the night at the hospital.  He was fast asleep when the door to his room slowly opened.  A figure stepped inside and approached the bed with soft, careful steps.  The figure stood and watched in silence while Sunggyu slept.