Brother, Dear Brother - Chapter 4

Brother, Dear Brother

He opened his eyes and stared up at the familiar ceiling.  Letting out a resigned sigh, he lay there unmoving for a moment longer.  He was back again at the place he tried to get away from.  He should have known that it would be impossible.  He had lost the will to fight.  It had proven to be futile.  He closed his eyes and tried to fall asleep once again.

Seconds later, his eyes shot open.  He jumped out of bed and rushed towards the door.  He reached for the door handles and tried to open it only to discover that it was locked.  He banged on the door with his fists all the while shouting.

"Open the door!  Let me out!"

The two men guarding outside the door heard the banging and shouting but they ignored him and remained as they were.  They remained standing there in silence until a figure approached them.  The figure stood there listening to the banging and shouting for a brief moment before letting out a sigh.

"Open the door," he told them.

The two men looked at him with hesitation.  "But the boss said he's not allowed to take a step outside of this room."

"I know," said the figure.  "He's not going anywhere.  Now open the door."

Upon hearing the clicking sound of the door unlocking, he stopped the banging and shouting and took a step back.  He was taken aback, not expecting them to open the door so easily.

The double doors opened and a figure stepped inside.  His eyes lit up upon seeing the familiar figure but the excitement soon disappeared when he recalled what had happened.

"Not happy to see me?" the figure asked, noticing the hostile look that greeted him.  "It seems your fever has gone down."

He pouted and glanced away.  "I hate you.  You're just like the rest of them."

Despite hearing those words, the figure smiled and approached him.  The figure reached out a hand to gently pat his head.

"I thought I could trust you," he continued.  "I thought I could always count on you to stand by my side but you did nothing."

"What could I have done?" the figure asked.

There was silence.  They both knew the answer to that.

"I have to get out of here," he said, breaking the silence.

The figure glanced at the door then back at him.  "They have orders.  You won't make it out this door."

He frowned.  "But I have to go see him.  I need to know if he's okay."

His words surprised the figure who raised his eyebrows questioningly.  "He?  Who is he?"

"He's a kind man," he replied with a smile.  "He let me eat when I was hungry and didn't have any money."

The figure looked at his smiling face.  "Really?" he asked curiously.

He nodded.  "And when they found me, he tried to help me but they beat him up and left him lying there in the rain.  I want to go see him and make sure he's alright."

"I see," said the figure.  "Is that the reason why you were causing such a ruckus before?"

He nodded.  Truth be told, he could not care less about being locked up in here but the thought of the man lying in the rain badly wounded made him anxious.

"Alright then," said the figure.  "Let's make a deal."


Night had fallen by the time he finished taking care of business.  He parked his car by the side of the street and stepped out.  He glanced around the street and discovered that he looked out of place dressed in his fine suit.  His expensive looking car also caught the attention of onlookers.  Finally he decided to take off his suit jacket and tie and left them behind in his car.

He walked along the bustling street until he saw the food stall up ahead.  It seemed that the man was not beaten up so badly if he was still working.  The man was busy preparing a bowl of noodles for a customer who was sitting there on the stool.  He decided to head back but stopped when he caught sight of the man's face.  His eyes widened in surprise.  He recognised that face.

"Sunggyu?"