More Than A Tree

Idol Advent 2020

Cha Hakyeon - VIXX

 

 

It was that time of year again, and as you smiled in greeting to some of your colleagues, you attempted to not look in the direction of Hakyeon’s cubicle.

You weren’t quite ready to face the decorations you knew would be there just yet.

It wasn’t that you had a thing against Christmas decorations. They had their place, and you could appreciate them after December first. However, it was an entire month before that and, you knew without fail, the tinsel, fairy lights and elves would have found their spots around his space by now.

And it bugged you entirely.

It was November first! Surely Hakyeon could wait just one more month before bringing in the North Pole. Or at least, keep it at home until December rolled around. Then he would be happy with it at his place, and you wouldn’t have to catch the sparkling lights in your peripheral due to how your desk was angled towards his.

However, after stealing a glance, you didn’t find Santa’s elves or lights or tinsel at all. You blinked, relieved that Hakyeon hadn’t arrived early today to decorate like usual. You hoped that this year, given how off it had been for most people, that he’d save the Christmas cheer for December.

Smiling easily, you continued the short distance towards your desk.

And then halted in your tracks.

You saw tinsel. Lights were flashing all around. And was that a miniature tree?!

“What have you done?” you breathed, your nostrils flaring with your rising emotions. Your co-worker beamed at you proudly.

You decided Hakyeon wouldn’t make any nice list this year. You’d have words with Santa yourself.

“I thought I’d bring the Christmas spirit to you early. Maybe it’ll help you remove some of that anger you have for festive cheer outside of December.”

“Oh, did you? How gracious of you.”

“You have to admit, it looks great.”

“It looks like I’ll be moving cubicles immediately if you don’t remove it all now,” you corrected with a strained tone.

Hakyeon’s smile faded. “No?”

“No.”

“Not even the tree?”

“Definitely not the tree,” you agreed, and Hakyeon pouted dramatically.

“But I placed a present under it for you,” he said dejectedly. “Fine. I’ll be back in ten minutes to remove it.”

“Make it five!” you called after him, though your curiosity was piqued. Slipping into your cubicle, you stealthily reached for the envelope propped against the tree base.

Opening it, you read over the note and smiled.

You might not like Christmas as much as I do, but I hope you’ll be my date this Christmas season. Maybe you’ll like me more than Christmas by the time Santa comes.

Glancing at your desk as you grew giddy; you looked at the décor again.

Maybe the tree could stay.