Non-Believers

Idol Advent 2020

Lee Donghun (ACE)

 

Donghun knew what to expect, but it didn’t please him either. Placing in his headphones to avoid the constant drone of Christmas songs, he kept his focus on the list of things he needed to achieve in this outing and not on the ridiculous Christmas décor littering every shop entrance and along the atrium he walked through.

He wouldn’t call himself the Grinch, not quite. However, he didn’t understand the big hype around Christmas. To him, December was a month he would dread each year, having to come up with excuses to avoid the festivities and mistletoe.

Sometimes, he wondered if it would be easier to concede. He felt like the only person who wasn’t counting down the days to Santa’s arrival. Whilst this didn’t bother him within the comforts of his own home, when out in public, he was acutely aware of how different he was.

Which was why he noticed you in the sea of merry people. The look of distaste upon your face as you eyed a sparkly reindeer was similar to the one he had given the oversized ornament when he passed it before. You then waved a hand to dismiss the free Christmas sample outstretched to you and gripped your bag, walking with a direct pace to where you needed to go.

Smiling, Donghun didn’t feel so alone now.

Completing what he set out the do, Donghun dodged the choir now formed outside the department store he had gone into and headed down to the food court to takeout a meal.

It was there where he saw you again, checking your watch and tapping your foot in agitation. For some reason, you looked up at him then and shared a curious look. Pointing at the Christmas decorations nearby, Donghun scrunched up his face at them, and you giggled, nodding in agreement.

After you had your food in hand, you approached him. “Christmas isn’t your thing either?”

“It’s quite the onslaught of Santa and his helpers when you go out right now.”

“I avoided the shops for as long as I could since the office I work in plays enough Christmas carols to drive me insane each day.”

He chuckled. “That’s why I live in headphones these days.”

“I should have worn mine! Thanks for the tip.”

“Anytime. We need to help each other through these troubling times.”

“Do you get called a Grinch too?”

Donghun smirked. “Among other things.”

“It’s relieving to know I’m not alone. I know there are plenty of people out there who aren’t Christmas orientated, but I don’t get the pleasure of crossing paths with them often.”

“I thought that too when I saw you avoiding the reindeer near the entrance.”

“You saw me then? Gosh, we non-believers need to stick together! Next time if you see me out, feel free to keep me company!”

“Well, how about now?” he wondered, thanking the server who passed him his meal. “Do you have any pressing needs aside from escaping Christmas?”