Hosting Christmas

Idol Advent 2020

Lee Seunggi

 

 

Rolling over as soon as he grew alert to Christmas morning arriving, Seunggi smiled lazily as his hands blindly roamed the bedding for you. His search, soon coming up empty, led to him opening his eyes and blinking with confusion.

Where were you?

Padding out into the kitchen, Seunggi’s yawn was stifled back with amazement. There you were in front of the oven, basting the turkey with a concentrating expression over your face.

“Babe?” he said, and you barely lifted your gaze from the large bird to shoot him a genuine smile. Walking over to your side, Seunggi then peered at the clock on the oven. “It’s not even seven yet.”

“I know, but my mother always got up early when I was a kid to start on Christmas lunch just like this. She was up before Santa even left, I’m sure of it!” you answered, sounding far too stressed already.

Seunggi knew it was a big deal to be hosting Christmas for the first time, but he hadn’t realised just how important it was to you. Normally on Christmas morning, you weren’t one to leave bed before nine, and he could tell you had been up for some time now.

Watching, as you placed the turkey back into the oven to cook, you then wiped your hands on your apron and moved towards a mixing bowl.

“Y/N,” he called out, and you turned again, now flustered. “It’s Christmas.”

“I know, and I have so much to do! I don’t know if I can really rely on my Aunt to bring enough dessert so I thought maybe I could whip up a cake to slice up with ice-cream for those who don’t like traditional pudding. And then-”

“Breathe,” he instructed as he pulled you into his arms, rubbing your back gently. “You don’t have to do everything alone.”

“I want this Christmas to go the way it does when Mum’s in charge. Since she’s unwell and can’t take on this task, I have to.”

“It’s going to be fine,” he assured, and you stared up at your husband worriedly. Easing your stress lines on your temples, Seunggi then placed a kiss there. “I’ll help you.”

“Great! Could you-”

“In an hour.”

“What?! Why an hour?!” you exclaimed, growing panicked once more.

Taking your hand, Seunggi led you over to the couch and pulled you down into his arms. You resisted the embrace momentarily before sinking into it.

“Oh. This feels really nice,” you admitted, resting your head on his shoulder.

“I thought you might appreciate a calmer start to your day. Let’s enjoy some time together before we get busy in the kitchen. I promise everything will go swimmingly.”

“You think so?”

Seunggi nodded. “Oh, and Y/N?”

“Mm?”

“Merry Christmas.”