Tolerance

Idol Advent 2020

Lee Minhyuk (Monsta X)

 

“Are you kidding me?” you grumbled under your breath, pasting a smile onto your lips as a customer crossed passed the booth you worked in. Once they were gone, you turned to your co-worker and let out a huff of air. “It’s playing Let It Snow, again!”

“It really bothers you,” she mused, and you rolled your eyes. “Welcome to the life of retail workers. Since November we’ve heard these tunes. Why does it bother you so much now? It’s December, Y/N, it is expected now!”

“But for the second time today?!” you countered, shaking your head as you checked stock inventory. “Surely you’re sick of the same music too.”

“It doesn’t annoy me as much as youuuu,” she answered in sing-song, even humming the tune to the music playing around the department store.

Cursing inwardly, you busied yourself with replenishing empty spots in the display cabinet. Two songs went by before another Christmas tune merrily made its way around.

“Why would I want to have a Merry Little Christmas, when I’m going mad from all this music?!” you exclaimed to the ceiling dramatically, groaning thereafter. “I swear, management is doing this just to mess with us! Can’t they tell they’re driving their staff to the end of their ropes? I pray I can last the Christmas rush if I have to hear Mariah Carey one more time in my shift today!”

“You have to admit that at least the Michael Bublé songs aren’t all that bad.”

Shifting around, your mouth fell ajar as the man before you chuckled. He leaned onto the counter comfortably. “I happen to like when his songs come on.”

“Mr Lee,” you breathed awkwardly, bowing apologetically. “I’m sorry you had to hear that.”

“Don’t be,” he replied, still amused. “It’s nice to hear the honesty of my workers. Should I go up to the office and ask Carol to change the playlist so you can relax?”

“Oh no, please don’t!” you gushed, now mortified.

Lee Minhyuk, your boss, was someone you admired a little too much. He was efficient and friendly, and looked amazing in a suit too. His waistcoat today was especially attractive, and you scolded yourself for swooning over him after being caught in such a predicament. You really had problems, further than Christmas songs this December.

Minhyuk was still grinning from the interaction. “I can’t have one of my star team members this upset though, Y/N. What can I do to make retail life easier for you this Christmas?”

“A date,” you blurted out, shaking your head instantly. “I’m joking! Ha ha-”

“Done deal,” he murmured, leaning in closer to you. “Just don’t go telling other departments, they’re all asking for bonuses. If word gets out, they could date their boss instead, they might ask for more in their bonus to avoid the option.”

“I’d rather the date than a bonus,” you confidently told him, and Minhyuk winked.

“We’ll see what Santa delivers this year for your tolerance, Y/N.”