Atrocious

Idol Advent 2020

Kevin Moon (THE BOYZ)

 

“No, I will not!” you objected loudly, whilst your boyfriend folded his arms over his chest. He raised an eyebrow to encourage your curiosity, yet you turned away, shaking your head. “Don’t be silly! You don’t rush these things, Kevin.”

“You don’t?”

“No way. Christmas decorating is something you take your time in, really pride yourself on the placement of each ornament and bow.”

Kevin nodded along, as if he agreed with you. “Maybe that’s how it’s originally done, but don’t you want a bit of excitement this year, Y/N?”

“Christmas is plenty of excitement at its own pace.”

“Is it? Well, three-two-one, go!”

Although you had just disagreed with Kevin this whole time, the countdown ignited your competitive side, and you dove into the box for the tinsel with a shriek.

It was messy. There were misplaced baubles everywhere. You hurried to string some lights on too. And by the time you were finally hanging the star on top of the tree, you were breathless, from the race and constant laughter.

You had to admit, this was rather exciting.

“You win,” Kevin admitted with haggard breaths, slumping down onto the couch. Falling down beside him, you looked at him and gloated.

“I did do well, huh?”

“For someone who doesn’t believe in rushing decorating, you sure were on a mission to do so.”

Glancing over at the tree, you sat up and gasped. It really looked awful. It was as if Christmas had thrown up over it. And although you knew that to be a statement many would say for well-decorated homes, this was the opposite. Nothing made sense, there were contradicting colours, and layers and you were certain more than three branches were holding two or three ornaments whilst other areas looked bare.

Kevin gasped noisily as he took in your combined disaster. “We did bad.”

“We did worse than bad, this is atrocious! Look at that side there! And the star is completely crooked. Oh my goodness, what did we do to that poor tree?!”

“So maybe we should have raced to decorate the fastest whilst actually paying attention to what we’re doing.”

You nodded in agreement. “We failed this poor tree. Should we pull it all off and do it again?”

“Should we?”

You both stared at the burdened tree and then began to laugh.

“It’s so ugly it’s funny to me now!”

“Before we take it down, let’s get some photos,” Kevin suggested, and you shook your head.

“You’re not showing anyone this! What will they say?!”

“Well, it’s more about the memory sake, Y/N. We’ll never have a tree quite like this again.”

The statement made you stop scowling at your boyfriend, and you smiled instead. “Let’s not take it down.”

“No?”

You shook your head again. “As you said, it’ll only look this atrocious once.”