When's Present Time?

Idol Advent 2020

Song Mingi - ATEEZ

 

 

You blinked several times before frowning. “What?”

“It’s not Christmas yet, Y/N!” Mingi mentioned with a chuckle, but this didn’t ease your mood. “Why are you looking at me like that still?”

“It’s Christmas Eve.”

“I know, and tomorrow is only a sleep away.”

“You don’t open any presents today?”

Mingi shook his head loosely. “No, why would I? It’s not Christmas.”

“Really?”

“Of course. Do you open presents before Christmas day?”

“Every year,” you announced and Mingi’s mouth fell ajar slightly. You smiled bashfully. “I thought everyone opened presents on Christmas Eve.”

“Well, that makes absolutely no sense. Santa hasn’t even been by then!”

You snorted. “You and I are both a little too old to believe in Santa still, don’t you think?”

“Even as a child, you opened all your presents on Christmas Eve, though?”

“To be fair, my family never told us about a jolly man coming down our chimney. I guess that’s why I never felt I missed out on anything when there was no present from Santa. I had friends who would open their presents on Christmas Eve who did believe in Santa. They would simply open his present the following day.”

“I just don’t get it, Christmas morning is when you open the presents. We’d wake up at the crack of dawn and sneak in and out of our parents’ room until we heard them stir and then beg them to wake up so we could open the presents under the tree.”

You stared in disbelief. “We’d always open our presents on Christmas Eve after dinner. I couldn’t imagine a morning opening!”

“Well, what do we do now?” Mingi wondered, looking towards the Christmas tree.

It seemed unfathomable to him to change his tradition and open all the presents you had gifted him before the twenty-fifth. Yet this whole debate stemmed from you announcing that it was time to open the presents in the first place.

You had your own tradition too.

For a moment, you were thoughtful, and then you smiled, raising your index finger in answer. “I have it!”

“What do you suggest?”

“You open one present tonight,” you stated, and Mingi sighed. “And, to match, I’ll open one present tomorrow.”

“We have more than one present from each other, Y/N.”

“Well, for the others, we’ll leave them for the time we each enjoy most.”

Mingi laughed. “Did you come up with this so you could open presents right now?”

“Whilst I admit, it’s a good deal for me, it does solve our disagreement over when is the right time to open our presents, doesn’t it?”

“I like that,” Mingi agreed, pulling you into his arms. “And I like you.”

“You ought to. I’ve got you some really nice gifts this year. I guess, aside from one of them, you’ll have to wait until tomorrow to find out.”

“I’m looking forward to you singing my praises all night now,” he teased, handing you the first present.