The Brightest Lights

Idol Advent 2020

Byun Baekhyun - EXO

 

“Baekhyun!” you exclaimed, your eyes growing wide. “What is – this is too much!”

“There’s no such thing as too much at Christmas time!”

You had sent your husband out to the store to get some butter for the cookies you needed to bake for your daughter’s Christmas party tomorrow at kindergarten. Instead, he returned with what appeared to be the entire festive lights section from the department store.

Baekhyun shot you a wide grin whilst you searched through the car.

“The butter?” you questioned, and Baekhyun’s expression morphed to one of forgetfulness. You gasped noisily. “Byun Baekhyun, I specifically-”

“Will two do?” he offered, producing a small bag from the back seat of the car. “See, I’m an efficient man. I got what you need to whip up a batch of cookies whilst I create some magic out here. Old Bob across the road won’t know what hit him when he looks out his windows tonight!”

“You have enough lights here to brighten the entire neighbourhood’s view, let alone just Bob’s.”

Baekhyun shot you a wink. “I know. This is going to be epic!”

You didn’t see Baekhyun until you were almost about to serve up dinner, the man flinging open the back door and coming to a halt beside your daughter. She jumped off her chair at the table. “Daddy is it ready?!”

“Oh, you bet it is! Should we go turn them on now?”

You shook your head. “It’s not dark out. You’ll be disappointed if you turn them on and it’s not as effective.”

“Mummy’s right,” Baekhyun agreed, trying to deflect the disappointment of the young child. “We’ll have dinner, sneak a cookie or two for dessert, and then the magic of Christmas will light up on our front yard.”

----

Baekhyun stood beside the outside fuse box with bated breath. “Are my girls ready?!”

“YES!”

“Just hurry up and turn them on, I want to go inside. It’s too cold,” you added, noticing all the other houses in the street had already switched their Christmas lights on.

Baekhyun flipped the switch and then jogged over to your side, watching as your entire front lawn morphed into the North Pole. There were blinking lights everywhere, and it was so bright, you almost needed sunglasses.

You had to admit it was beautiful. But, you still thought it was excessive.

And so did the power supply. They were barely on for five minutes before you heard a noise, and the house next to you fell into darkness. One by one, each house in the street shut off, only your house now lighting up the night. And with a startled cry from Baekhyun, yours too became pitch black.

“What happened, Daddy?!”

You smirked. “Well, I did say this was excessive. And look, here comes Bob, Baek. I guess he knows what hit him, and the whole neighbourhood too.”