ARGUMENTS AND ACCUSATIONS

HEART OR BRAIN?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The island is quiet as the deep night arrives, but Seulgi is still at the personal lab in his floor assembling an armored weapon that she has been working on for the past two years.

It already went into a lot of trial and it also went into failures.  The Velvet Industries even decided to stop funding it but luckily, she earns enough to sustain the invention that she’s been working on.

Unlike the other professors, Seulgi is the most open and close to her hoobaes. She doesn’t have passcode in her floor and even have waiting lounge for those who wanted to see her.

Wearing her protective goggles, she made sure that the edges of the armor is attached by welding it thoroughly. Her personal lab is surrounded with loud music that keeps her awake by that time that she didn’t even notice that Somi arrived.

Until Somi turned off the music through her attached controls on her walls. “Captain.” She said and greeted her with a salute.

“May I have a word with you?”

“Sure.” Seulgi said as she jumped off from a two step ladder that she’s standing on. Heading to Somi’s way, she opened the hologram screen that is connected to the armored weapon that she is building. “Go on.” She said as her eyes are still fixed to the screen.

“I am sorry” Somi apologized. “As the Captain of the craft. I should’ve take more responsibility.”

“Do not blame yourself on that.” Seulgi told her. “None of us had the idea that we will be betrayed and besides, we have to take the full responsibility for it since we were the ones who agreed to go there.”

 Somi could still feel the guilt because of what happened, she thought she wasn’t competent and brave enough to face her responsibilities. “You still haven’t given up on that?”

“There are times that I want to.” Seulgi confessed. “You know, working this armor for years without getting any expected outcome is quite frustrating.” She made a heavy sigh but still managed to keep a smile. “But if I give up on it, I also turned my back to those who also put their effort on this.”

“Oh…” Somi pursed her lips. “That’s quite flattering.”

“Of course, with Wendy’s excellent skills in robotics and programming, your expertise in navigation and the other professors as well, I can’t just turn my back on this.” She said with a giggle. “Anyway since you’re here.. shall we try its navigation control?”

“try?” Somi made a sarcastic laugh. “You know we can’t try it unless the armor moves.”

“Exactly.” Seulgi said and handed a tablet to Somi. “Since you’re here. Watch over me.”

“No, Professor Kang this could be dangerous!” Somi refused.

“That’s why I need you to look over me.” Seulgi said. “Armor prepare for mount.” She voice commanded.

The armor opens and she fits herself inside. [Operator detected] and enclosed around Seulgi’s chest. [Operator Mounted] “Initiate engine.” [Engine initiated]. “This is it, South Korea’s Iron man will be born. “

Somi saw how the armor starts and obeyed voice commands. She has a high hope that it will work now, so even if she’s still has the time to stop Seulgi, she just watches her and was drown by how she was amazed with the known failure invention of Professor Kang Seulgi.

“Professor Kang, can you hear me? Do you copy?” Somi tried to contact her even if she;s just 10 steps away from her as she heads to her wide balcony.

“Of course I do. Can you please drop the formalities?”

“I believe your safety and security is under the hands of that armor and we should use words that could basically comprehend by your invention.” Somi said.

“Fine.” Seulgi said as she rolled her eyes. “Communication intact. Voice and speakers loud and clear.” She reported. Standing at the 59th floor of the main building of the island, Seulgi’s heart started to race. [Oxygen consumption increasing.]

“Calm down professor Kang.” Somi said through the speaker.

“Ne.” Closing her eyes and releasing a deep exhale, Seulgi jumped off from her wide balcony.

It was Seulgi’s first time to ride something that doesn’t have a handle and could only be controlled through sensors by the gestures of her palm. 

“Professor Kang, everything is stable” Somi reported as she kept her eyes glued to the tablet.

“Woohoooo!” Now Seulgi is enjoying her time 40 ft from the ground and driving the armor isn’t that difficult for her since she did a lot of simulation before.

“Professor Kang, I think you’ve already tested enough. You may come back now.” Somi said as she don’t want to take the stable status of the armor for granted.

“We have to know how far this armor could go.” Seulgi bravely said and so she maneuvers the armor to go straight up high. Passing through the white shades of the clouds at the dark night. Ignoring how high she is. [Oxygen level below average.]

Seulgi tried to maneuver the armor downward but she can’t the pressure of the strong wind, couldn’t be defeated by the hot exhaust that keeps her accelerating. [Oxygen dropping]

[Flight system unstable] “No, abort acceleration. Prepare for emergency landing!” Seulgi said as she now started to have difficulty in breathing.

“Professor Kang! You’re already 7,000ft above sea level! Do you hear me?” Somi worriedly said. [No connection detected] Somi, runaway from Seulgi’s room and rushed to the control tower. Through elevator.

“Engage emergency fly off rescue aircrafts, detect possible coordinates leading to Professor Kang Seulgi’s connection, Send emergency vehicles on land and water to radius in 100 km from this distant.” Somi ordered.

[Emergency report] Areum suddenly spoke at Joohyun’s room, causing her to quickly raise herself from her bed. Taehyung was also woken up with her sudden movement and it made him worried.

“Are you alright?”

“Areum, report details.” Joohyun said as she rushed to grab her robe and went to her doors. Turning her back she pointed out her finger to Taehyung. “Stay here.”

[Captain Somi announced Emergency search for Professor Kang. After armor failure was reported. Last contact was at 7000ft above sea level.]

“What?!” Joohyun almost choke by her words and rushed herself to the control tower.

The other professors were already informed as well and it made them get on their feet from their respective floors. “This is beyond our control.” Joy said as her voice shakes.

“I have an idea.” Wendy said and she rushed at the hidden laboratories. Reporting what happened to Seulgi, she freed the subjects without following the protocol and they all jumped from the 54th floor of the building.

She programed the last data of Seulgi before she lost her contact and Subject 0003 received it. Riding his surf board he was able to estimate where Seulgi might possibly landed.

He went back to the land and fetched 0002 at the shore and he rides the floating surfboard with him. “you have to jump once you heard my cue. Swim forward through the water. She could probably landed there.”

“Lucky, she landed in the water.” He said.

“Go!”

He jumped from the 20ft height of the floating surfboard and swim in the depths of the water. One of his great abilities is he can see clearly in the water as if he’s wearing a goggles.

He found the armored suit and pulled it with him without difficulty, just to distract the air, land and water rescue team, 0005 formed thunderstorms that caused them to cancel their mission.

On the other hand, Jin is waiting at the seashore with 0003 and once he saw 0002’s head the level of the sea, he run as fast as he could and it made him like running on the water. Getting Seulgi from the other subject isn’t difficult. Carrying her on his back didn’t bother him to run on the surface of the sea back to the seashore.

Laying the unconscious Professor in her armor, they struggled to put her out since the engine was down and it made 0002 pissed so she just took the helmet off exposing how pale Seulgi is. She even have blood flowing from her forehead that looked like she bumped her head on her helmet while she landed in the sea.

“Checking vital signs.” [No vital signs detected.]

“No!” Wendy said as if she’s about to cry.

“0003 listen to me.” Joy said as she took Wendy’s phone. “You must get her out of that armor so you could perform CPR. We have to revive her.”

Hearing Joy’s instructions 0003 didn’t let 0002 do the procedure even if he looks too worried to Seulgi. “Do not touch her. You might break her sternum.” He said.

And hearing that he might harm the Professor. He stepped backward but his worries didn’t leave him. “Please save her.”

“Oh this is not good.” 0005 said after he felt the grumbling stomach of Jin and the way he grunts too.

He managed to run away from Seulgi as soon as she smells her blood when the helmet was taken off by 0002. The rain and wind becomes stronger which makes the smell travel faster and his eyes already turned into red.

“Report! What’s happening?” Joy worriedly said.

“It’s Jin. 0004, just smell her blood.” 0003 responded.

“What!? Then what the hell is happening?” Joy asked.

0002 blocked Jin’s direction to protect Seulgi. Knowing that he’s after for his Soul, it made him frustrated in silence that his body started to bulk slowly in response to his emotion. 

“This is bad. We have to bring some beef cuts.” Joy said.

“No, the rescue team already aborted their mission to rescue Seulgi unnie because of the thunderstorm.” Yeri said. “It could be dangerous for us.”

On the other hand, 0003 is doing his best to revive Seulgi. Luckily he is a living being who doesn’t get tired. He’s optic scanner doesn’t give any improvement with Seulgi’s condition.

0002 and Jin are already in a heat, violent and physical battle while 0005 make sure to get in between so none of them would hurt each other but the other one is so strong and the other one is fast with some excellent strength which make it difficult for him to keep them away from each other.

[heart beat detected.] “Heart is beating!” 0003 yelled as he reported. [Breathing detected]

“Alright, you have to bring Professor Kang here and the armor as well.” Joy instructed them.

On the other hand, after the rescue team reported that they will abort the mission because of the bad weather, the control tower suddenly became silent and one of the lookout dimmed their lights.

“We’re sorry Doctor Bae.” Somi said as she drowns in guilt. “I am very willing to step down in my position. I’ve been so irresponsible.”

“No.” Joohyun said as her eyes are in tears. “I can’t lose you too.” She said.

“Attention everyone, this is Professor Son reporting. Put down emergency signals in this building. Professor Kang Seulgi just arrived safely with her armor. We would like everyone to go to their respective cabin and rest for tonight. Thank you.”

“No that’s impossible.” Somi said.

But Joohyun didn’t listen to Somi and rushed back to the Lead Quarter’s floors. When she arrived, Seulgi was already placed at Joy’s floor and is being observed in her personal room. She found the professors looking at her outside the room together with the three subjects.

“What just happened? You said she arrived safely?” Joohyun said out of her frustration and seeing Seulgi not in a good condition just make it worst.

“We made that up just so the other inventors and professors won’t speculate.” Wendy said. “We asked the subjects to help us.”

“You did what?” Joohyun asked in disbelief. She forcefully closed her eyes and called Taehyung in her mind and with just a minute, he appeared.  “Tell me you’re not with them when they did this.”

“What?” Taehyung asked expressing how clueless he is.

“Why did you do this?” Joohyun asked. “Why do these subjects need to be involved in rescuing Seulgi?”

“Well we don’t have any choice unnie.” Wendy said.

“We already sent rescue teams for her and we’re calculating the area where she could possibly landed.” Joohyun said.

“Fine, we admit. We did that thunder storm just to distract the rescue team, so we could save Seulgi.” Wendy admit. “But even if they made it there, it is impossible for them to retrieve Seulgi under 200ft deep sea.”

“Did you really trusted these subjects more than our inventions?” Joohyun asked Wendy.

“Seulgi is dying!” Joy exclaimed.

“We have protocols and you should’ve followed it. These subjects must sign papers before they leave this building.”

“Oh yea? We care about that already? Why didn’t we have them sign a consent form that they will undergo a test.” Wendy said back.

“Unnie, just think that it is an Emergency mission.” Yeri said calmly. “We cannot lose Seulgi unnie.”

“Of course I know that.” Joohyun said as she started to breathe heavily. “Did you think I was just being too

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter