Chapter 40

the thin line between love and hate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What are you doing right now?" Shuhua asked, working on the letter for Soojin in one of the pages of her diary, but still focusing on whatever Soojin was doing or saying on the other side of their call. "That's a lot of noises"

 

"Right now? Getting ready to go to bed, I'm putting on my pajamas" The older replied and Shuhua took a second to process that sentence.

 

"Oh…" She paused for a second. "If I knew you're getting changed I would've made a video call instead-"

 

"Ah!!, Don't be a ert!" Soojin complained, glad that the other wouldn't see how red she became and the younger laughed as she wrote a new sentence on the paper before she decided it was enough for the night and put it aside. "It's been a long and tiring day"

 

"You said you didn't do anything all day today," Shuhua replied, frowning as she stared at the ceiling.

 

"I didn't… But it was still tiring" Soojin replied, quickly getting into bed and covering herself. "Now what did you do today?"

 

"We walked around the city, trying to get used to all the changes, and so much really has changed. We had to use a map" Shuhua said. "By the way I've met my first love again, she still lives in front of our house. Isn't that cool?" She laughed. Part of her expected for that family to move out years ago but turned out she was wrong, maybe The Yeh isn't the only family who was way too attached to an old building.

 

"Is she pretty?" Soojin suddenly asked and Shuhua hummed, answering without thinking.

 

"Yes-" Then she realized what she just said. "I mean!- No!… I didn't notice." 

 

“Mhm.” Soojin mumbles. "You didn't notice that she was pretty, But you think it is cool that she still lives there?"

 

Shuhua could hear thousands of alarms ring inside her head warning her that she just stepped into an unknown and dangerous territory: Jealousy; She should choose her following words with care if she didn't want Soojin to misunderstand the situation and be mad at her. 

 

"I mean, It's cool because I thought they would be gone by now-"

 

"So you're happy you saw her again?"

 

She saw this situation before, a few months ago a girl from the volleyball team thought that the love note she received in her locker, from someone that was part of the basketball team, was actually from Minnie and thought she actually had a chance with her despite everyone knowing that Minnie wasn't available; No need to say Miyeon wasn't that happy about the situation and would constantly question Minnie about why said girl would think the note was from her of all people along other types of interrogations.

 

Back then, Shuhua took the blame and claimed the note was hers, which ended up being a win-win situation, She helped Minnie escape the situation and by the end of the day she ended up tasting that girl's watermelon gloss all afternoon inside the janitor's closet. Hopefully Soojin would never hear about this story either.

 

And as she remembers Miyeon's crossed arms as she intensely stared at Minnie, questioning her, Shuhua had to admit it was probably one of the few times she was a bit intimidated by the older girl and she wasn't even the one being questioned; Soojin was doing the same thing right now and suddenly she felt bad for mocking Minnie for being scared back then. 

 

"It was.. surprising seeing her that's all" The younger replied, hoping she would accept the answer. "Are you jealous?" She decided to ask before she could stop herself, despite knowing the answer.

 

"No"

 

Shuhua giggled. 

 

"Shut Up, I'm not jealous"

 

"Ok, Ok. You're not jealous" She decided to change the topic before she got Soojin more upset. "How are things with the others?" 

 

"Well, Soyeon wants to get a couple tattoos with Yuqi" Soojin said, remembering the other talking about it. "Yuqi is against it, she doesn't want to get kicked out of home"

 

"Yeah, I can see that, just know that she almost got grounded for dying her hair" The taiwanesse decided to bring it up since it was Soojin's influence who made Yuqi do it in the first place. "The things she does for love" She dramatically sighed and that makes Soojin laugh. "And how is Mimin? Still annoying? I hope Miyeon is taking care of Minnie'' 

 

"They are doing fine. Lovey Dovey as ever, They just had dinner with Minnie's parents earlier" Soojin said. "Miyeon was so nervous she locked herself in the bathroom and called me for help" The older laughed and Shuhua did the same trying to picture that. 

 

"You still have to meet my father," Shuhua said, smiling. "I'm sure you two will get along" 

 

Soojin agrees, but deep down thinks she's not going to meet Shuhua's father anytime soon, not when the man was so obsessed with his job to remember he had promised Shuhua he would come meet her new 'friend'; She doesn't know if she should feel bad that there was so much hope in Shuhua's voice when she talked about it or just change the subject but thankfully the younger did it for her.

 

"I took some pictures for you by the way"

 

"Really?" 

 

"Yeah, I'll send it to you later" Then she looked at the clock on the wall and smiled, It was still 11 pm but she knew that it was midnight for Soojin. "Hey, JinJin"

 

"Hm?"

 

"Merry Christmas"

 

Soojin smiled, glad that Shuhua was the first one to say it to her. 

 

"Merry-"

 

"It's not christmas here yet, you have to wait until it's like 1 am for you." Shuhua interrupted and then heard Soojin giggle from the other side.

 

"Well, then I'll stay up until it's Christmas for you too" Soojin replied, turning on the lamp on her bedside table. "But you gotta keep me awake somehow" 

 

"Oh, I have ways to keep you awake”



.



.



.

 

"They really liked her, I'm so happy!" Minnie said on the other side of the phone while Shuhua hummed, paying more attention to the mugs in front of her. "Yeh Shuhua! Are you paying attention?!" She asked, noticing the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter