Chapter 13

the thin line between love and hate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shuhua knew Soojin's address thanks to Miyeon giving it to her last year, the older insisted they should know each other’s address just in case, for an emergency or something, and Shuhua thought she sounded and acted like an overprotective parent, always thinking of the possibilities of one of them needed a place to go; But even then, after knowing Soojin’s address, she never actually went to the other's house before so couldn't deny she was a bit nervous about showing up there all of sudden, but she also wanted to give back her jacket, she couldn't let the other think she would just keep the clothing for herself; She feels like she had given Soojin enough reasons to hate her, supposed theft wasn't going to be one of them. 

 

She stopped in front of the house, for some reason it was nothing like she imagined when she tried to picture Soojin's house, it looks very welcoming and warm, from the little homemade garden outside to the family drawn on the mailbox to the baby blue walls. It felt inviting. Unlike the cheerleader who was always ready to attack her. 

 

She made her way to the door and knock three times and waited on her spot until a blonde woman opened the door and Shuhua felt like she was given a preview of how Soojin was going to look like in at least 5 or 6 years; She knew the girl had an older sister so she wasn't surprised, but still had to restrain herself from obviously looking at her up and down. 

 

"Hello" She finally says as she bows. "I'm Soojin's classmate. Is she there, I need to talk to her" She said, remembering to smile and make sure to be polite. Soojin might hate her but she was still trying to make a good impression on her family, starting with her sister. 

 

"Oh, you're Shuhua right? She's in the backyard; You can just go right in" She says, combing her blonde hair back with her hands and Shuhua almost tripped on her feet as she made her way inside because she was staring at her. "Soojin talks about you a lot"

 

That surprised the girl. "Really?"

 

"Yeah, she said you're her enemy or something" The woman said as she guided her to the backyard. "But Soyeon told me that's an inside joke between you two tho"

 

"Ah…" Shuhua laughs, relieved that Soyeon made up an excuse for her, not to say, a whole lie. "Yeah… It's… a joke we have" 

 

"There you go, she's outside" The older said, opening the backdoor while Shuhua made her way out to talk to Soojin.

 

Shuhua found Soojin inside the pool, floating on the water in her bikini and the younger felt her whole body froze on the spot as she saw the girl relaxing, so she could conclude the whole thing about not feeling well was just a lie to leave earlier. She loudly coughs to get her attention but the other seemed to not hear her so Shuhua awkwardly stood around by the door, staring at her before taking a deep breath.

 

'crap. my hands are shaking; It's okay Shuhua! no need to be nervous' She thought to herself. 

 

"Hey, S-Soojin!" She calls, hating how she stutters the other's name; Soojin lifts her head from the water and stares at where the voice came from, squinting once she sees Shuhua.

 

"What the hell?" She stops floating and swims to the edge of the pool. "What are you doing here?"

 

"I came to bring your jacket back" The younger replied and Soojin remembers how she forgot to get it back from her, in fact she didn’t even remember she left it with the girl. 

 

"Came here then" Soojin said and Shuhua gulped.

 

"I'm fine, I'll just leave it by the chair-" She vaguely gestured at the chair by the table near the backyard’s porch; Soojin rolled her eyes as she lifted herself off the pool, grabbing the towel from the floor and walking towards Shuhua as she dried her own hair. 

 

“Why are you in such a hurry?” The older asked, arching one eyebrow. “Don’t worry I don’t plan on physically hurting you… as much as I already did”

 

“That’s not it” And it really wasn’t but Shuhua isn’t quite sure she could explain to Soojin the source of her anxiousness without feeling ridiculous about it, and they aren’t close enough to keep the other from mocking her for it so she just kept on playing the role of alway

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter