Chapter 29

the thin line between love and hate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Seo household had such a warm and inviting energy, a cozy place that was capable of bringing comfort to anyone who walked in and Shuhua figured maybe that was why Soojin was such a kind, warm hearted person; Unlike Shuhua, who grew up being told she was the spitting image of her dad with just enough traits from her mother to not look weird, Soojin looked a lot like her mother from the round and innocent looking eyes to the way she smiled, her older sister was the same too and for a moment the taiwanesse felt like she was in a room full of Soojins and despite their kind smiles Shuhua still felt like a boyfriend being interrogated by her partner's family; Soojin quietly playing with her food, looking oddly bashful didn't help either.

 

Shuhua was still waiting for the 'what are your intentions with our daughter?' question to come up at any moment now. 

 

"So you're part of the basketball team?" Shuhua nods at Mrs. Seo's question, she was the most talkative one of the family and kept the conversation going with some additions here and there from Soojin's sister, meanwhile Mr. Seo was just like Soojin, quiet and observant, just paying attention to the conversation around him and she got the feeling Soojin did the same, especially now as she kept on glancing from her mother to Shuhua as if worried they might not like her. 

 

"She's the captain of the school's team," Soojin added casually. "We have a lot of trophies thanks to her" 

 

"That's wonderful to hear" Suddenly Shuhua felt shy, not expecting Soojin to bring that up, Shuhua was used to brag about her achievements herself, usually to her parents, she never really had someone else do it so she could feel her cheeks burning for a second before Soojin's sister decided to join in.

 

"Honestly, I'm surprised you're actually here" She heard Soojin's sister say as she finished chewing her food, earning a confused look from Shuhua. "I didn't think Soojin actually had any friends besides Soyeon''

 

Soojin takes offense to that. 

 

"I have tons of friends!" She said, it wasn't the whole truth but she wasn't lying either, her friend count just went from 4 to 5 recently and this specific 5 wasn't exactly a platonic one but she would rather not think about that at the moment. 

 

"You never bring them over!" 

 

"Soojin is just shy" Mrs. Seo is quick to defend her younger child and Shuhua smiles. "She was always like this, you know" She said, this time looking at Shuhua who nods, listening. "It took a lot to make her sleep in her own bed when she was small"

 

"Mom!" Soojin was quick to protest, not liking where this conversation is going, The woman was already bringing up her childhood stories, soon enough she would have the family pictures on her hands, she knew that because she did the same with her sister and while it was fun to watch someone else endure this type of embarrassment, it wasn't something she was looking forward to, but of course, Shuhua was always up to having her flustered.

 

“Really?” The taiwanesse asked with sudden interest, ignoring Soojin’s grip on her shoulder. “I would love to hear more about this” It wouldn't be Shuhua if she didn't to embarrass the cheerleader at least once, all while keeping her good girl role going on. 

 

“No you don’t!” Soojin said, now holding Shuhua's arm as well as she watched her mother stand up with a smile on her face, Shuhua couldn't help but notice that the way her eyes squint as she smiles is just the same as Soojin.

 

"I'll bring the family album-"

 

"No!" 

 

xxx

 

The night was entertaining for Yeh Shuhua. 

 

The Seo family was definitely on the quiet, intimidating side of the social spectrum, But there was enough sass in there to create enough chaos to have fun with, They could be loud and joke a lot when they can, even Mr. Seo would join in once in a while with a small, timid smile on his lips, as the night went Shuhua could totally see more of Soojin on his as well; As for Soojin, she saw her laugh a lot that night, more than when they're on school together and she could tell she got along with her family pretty well, despite the fact that the taiwanesse knows their opinion and validation was really important for her. 

 

Now they're sitting together, alone by the stairs of the backyard's porch while Soojin is covering her eyes in embarrassment as the younger laughs quietly. Soojin's sister left early that night because she had a date with her boyfriend, and Mr. and Mrs. Seo went up early after dinner and talked to Shuhua for a few hours so it was just the two left, waiting for Shuhua's father to pick her up.

 

"I can't believe this-"

 

"It wasn't that bad," Shuhua said, trying to comfort the older girl who groaned.

 

"You saw my baby pictures!" 

 

"You were an adorable baby, be more confident about your baby self" Shuhua said. "The one picture with the red lipstick? Trendsetter! I'm sure all the other toddlers were jealous" 

 

Soojin smacked her shoulder and Shuhua laughed, holding the other's wrist to keep more slaps from coming her way.

 

"I wanna see you laugh when I see your baby pictures" Soojin said, moving closer to the other who only smiled.

 

"I was a beautiful baby so I have no worries about that," Shuhua replied, confidently. "My teachers always thought I was the most adorable thing, You can see the girls always found me charming- AH!" she yelped when Soojin pinched her hand. 

 

"You're an idiot!" Soojin said, playfully before rubbing her own arms as they are hit with a cold wind, Shuhua wrapped her arm around the older's shoulders and pulled her closer in a protective manner that had Soojin blushing right away.

 

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter