Chapter 23

the thin line between love and hate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

 

"You think we're going right away?" Shuhua asked, walking right behind Yuqi who was currently in charge of getting them to the library so they could get some books for their essay, they were still new to the school building so the chinese girl had to steal the school map from the teachers' office so they could know where they're going;

 

Shuhua stood up her tiptoes to peek over Yuqi's shoulder. 

 

"Should be around here!" Yuqi replied, tilting the map as if it would be better to read. "I don't know what that word means tho" She points and Shuhua fixes her glasses as she stares at what she was pointing at. 

 

"Me neither"

 

Both sigh. "Korean is hard" 

 

The younger one held Yuqi's arm against her chest as she whined. "Yuqi, we're lost"

 

"We're not lost… we just-" She frowns for a second "We didn't find the correct way yet"

 

"Since when you're so-" Shuhua stopped and Yuqi looked at her. "Optimistic!" She then added, in their mother tongue. 

 

"Optimistic" Yuqi repeated, in Korean. "That's the word you want and I'm always optimistic!" She then added. "You're just too negative" She added as they kept on walking.

 

"I'm realistic!"

 

"Ok, Emo"

 

"Hey- Wait, is that the library?" She pointed out to the room with big open windows, full of bookshelves inside. 

 

"Oh! I guess it is!" 

 

They made their way inside as quietly as possible, there was only two other students, most likely seniors, inside and one of them was sleeping on his chair with a book on top of his face while his friend was playing something on his phone; Yuqi held Shuhua's hand as they walked towards a desk in the corner. 

 

"Ok, now you will search for those books" She gave Shuhua the names. "and I'll look for the others"

 

The younger smiled. "If I find them first you'll have to buy me lunch." 

 

"You little- Fine." 

 

Both placed their bags on top of the desk and moved to different sections, Yuqi was confident she would win, even if it wasn't a competition, after all her korean was better than Shuhua's so she was almost certain she would bring back at least 2 wrong books. 

 

As for Shuhua she walks around looking to the piece of paper in her hands and at the books on the shelf, frowning as she wasn't quite sure if she should be upset at the Korean language or Yuqi's ugly handwriting; The girl squeals once finds one of the books, and making sure it was the correct one. However it was too high up for her to reach, even on her tiptoes and she even tried jumping.

 

"Do you need help?" She heard someone ask with a hand being gently placed on her shoulder; She turned around and saw the tall, black haired girl looking at her with a gentle smile, bangs almost covering her eyes.

 

"I-... Yes" She admitted and the other chuckles as she easily reached for the book. "Woah! you're tall!" She said and the other laughed as she handed her the book.

 

"My name is Kim Minnie," The older said. "You're the new kid right? the one who walks around with the cute girl"

 

"Yeah, That's Yuqi, My best friend!" The girl replied. "She's picking some books with me! But… Korean is hard" 

 

"Oh, I can help if you want"

 

"Oh, thank you so much! Kim Minnie- Unnie!"

 

Meanwhile Yuqi picked the last book she needed with a smug smile on her face as she walked back to the table, but her smile dropped once she saw Shuhua was already there. 

 

With some other girl she never saw before, which made Yuqi frown as she knew Shuhua wasn't exactly the extroverted type.

 

"Oh, Yuqi!" The girl said once she spotted her best friend and gestured for her to come closer. "This is Kim Minnie-Unnie!" 

 

"Hello!" The older said, with a smile. "I was helping your friend finding her books"

 

"Ah…" It's all what Yuqi said, watching as this Minnie pats Shuhua's head. "Well, thanks for your help, Unnie. But we should work on our essay now" Yuqi said as she sat down.

 

"I can help if you guys want." The elder offered with a smile and before Yuqi could say anything Shuhua had already accepted it, with a smile on her face. 

 

xxx

 

"What are those for?" Yuqi asked, weeks later, pointing at the plastic bag tied with a light pink bow that Shuhua had been carrying; there were cookies inside.

 

The taiwanese smiled.

 

"It's for Minnie-Unnie; I baked them myself!" She proudly says. "The girls in the cooking club helped me. They are very friendly"

 

Yuqi wanted to say something about how those girls aren't being friendly for no reason but decided to stay quiet and focus on the "issue" in front of her.

 

"Why are you baking her cookies?" She didn't mean to sound upset, but a green-eyed monster has been making its way into her chest the past few days, and she might have been a bit more hostile to Minnie than intended. 

 

Much like Shuhua, Yuqi wasn't the type of person to mask what she was feeling; Both of them are open books.

 

She couldn't help but feel a bit left out.

 

"She has been really nice to us" Shuhua replied, as if it was obvious and Yuqi held back the urge to say she was just nice to Shuhua and that her intentions were suspicious."and she has been helping me with my Korean-"

 

"I could help you with that!" Yuqi crossed her arms, a big pout on her lips. "I would teach you even better!" 

 

"... I just wanted to show my gratitude." The girl frowned. "Why are you so upset?"

 

"I'm not upset" 

 

Shuhua was going to say something but she stopped once she noticed Minnie walking into the room and she quickly lifted her arm to get her attention and Yuqi sunk on her seat as the older came to them. 

 

xxx

 

Shuhua made her way across the locker room, looking for Yuqi as she knew her last period was gym, whoever she wasn't finding the girl. The only ones around were the cheerleaders for their afterclass practices, which made the girl confused since Yuqi should be there waiting for her like always.

 

"Are you lost, kid?" She heard someone ask behind her and saw a girl around her height and another girl with red hair, standing behind her; Jeon Soyeon and Seo Soojin, it was hard to miss the duo despite Shuhua never seeing them being talkative. 

 

"I have been looking for my friend, Yuqi" She said and watched as the girls looked at each other. "Have you seen her? She's-"

 

"Oh the cute girl" Soyeon said, making Soojin chuckle as she shakes her head.

 

"Her class ended about 10 minutes ago" It was the taller one, Soojin, who said that. "So I think she already left."

 

"Oh." She then bowed to them. "Thank you, Seo Soojin-Unnie! Jeon Soyeon-Unnie" She said before making her way out, hearing Soyeon giggles while Soojin said something along the lines of 'cute'. 

 

As for Shuhua, she eventually found Yuqi in the parking lot, making her way out, which made the younger girl quickly run towards her best friend and grab her arm.

 

"Yuqi! You were leaving without me!" The girl complained and Yuqi squinted her eyes.

 

"Ask Minnie-Unnie to walk you home!" 

 

"Why are you being like this today?"

 

Yuqi didn't reply, she just held Shuhua's arm and started to walk towards home, or well, Shuhua's house. Their walk was silent, Shuhua looked at Yuqi in confusion while the older was pouting and had a big frown. 

 

"Well, even if you're so grumpy-"

 

"I'm not grumpy"

 

"Here." Yuqi stopped on her tracks as she saw Shuhua reaching for something in her bag and took a plastic bag, similar to the one she saw before but bigger and with a yellow bow wrapped around it. "I was meant to give you this after your period but you ran away" She places them on Yuqi's hands. "I baked a lot so- … wait are you crying?!" She asked, panicking once she noticed the other sniffing and her tears running down her cheeks. 

 

Shuhua quickly walked closer and tried to look at her face but the other was covering it with her arms, cleaning her tears with her sleeves.

 

"Why? Why?" Shuhua asked. "You didn't like the cookies? I'll buy you ice cream instead then, just stop crying-"

 

"I thought you didn't want to be my friend anymore" She heard the girl say, in their mother tongue and Shuhua felt her heart ache at those words. "I thought you wanted to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter