Chapter 24

Are we still best friend?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Clock shifted to 12 midnight. But the table in the meeting room was still full with papers, documents, medical devices and simulations that sprawled here and there, as the project developments will be presented tomorrow in front of Korean Medical Board Association. Out of eight people, only five were still holding back. Others were already safe lying on the bed at the staffroom.  

 

Yongsun closed while yawning, tried to hold back although her eyes already red from being sleepy. 

 

“Do you want some coffee?” Jung Shin who sat next to her asking. She glanced at that man. 

 

There were several times already she had moved her chair to get distance from him, but Jung Shin still got closer until their arms touched each other. Disgusted! If she not thought that not only both of them in the meeting room, that bastard would already had her slap. 

 

“No, thanks.” She answered cold without looked at him. A moment later, she felt a hand was crawling up to her thigh. Yongsun bit her lips and quickly got up. 

 

“Excuse me, I want to go to toilet.”

 

Byul raised his head from papers in front of him. After Yongsun walked from the room, he stared at Jung Shin. It not that he did not notice that the man seemed trying to take advantages on his wife. He himself did not notice it because too focused on his papers but when Hyejin nudged him, just then he noticed Yongsun’s uncomfortable action. 

 

“I am going out for a while.” Byul stood up and walked away. Just two or three lamps were switched on their department that a bit far from cardiothoracic ward and make it quite dark. He leaned near the wall next to the toilet. 

 

Yongsun splashed water to her face. Closing her eyes and tried to forget the dark past that suddenly came into her mind. Although she was not that weak like before, but her fear was still there. 

 

It was not easy for her to forget that incident. Due to that incident she also began to change her appearances because of fear to bastard like Jung Shin. At least when she dressed like man, she felt more safe because can lessened the men’s attention on her. 

 

“Just forget it, Yongsun.” She pulled tissue and tapped to her face. Walked away from the toilet. While rubbing her eyes, suddenly there was a hand went to hold her wrist. Felt her heart was torn out. Shocked. 

 

“Arghh!” Spontaneously her right hand went up to swing her fist. 

 

Bukk!!

 

“Ahh…”

 

She raised her head. Eyes widened.

 

“Byul-ah?!”

 

Byul rubbed his chest in frown. His pain that got beaten up by Yongsun last time haven’t disappeared yet and tonight he got hit again?

 

“What are you doing here?” She really thought that was Jung Shin. It almost dark in there, of course she did not saw him standing near the door. Guilt came in when she saw his frown. It was quite strong when she swung her fist at him. 

 

“Was it hurt, Byul-ah?” Yongsun touched his chest before Byul caught her hand. Surprised. 

 

“A bit.” Byul grinned.

 

“Are you okay, Yong? Your face is pale.” He touched her cheeks. Cold. 

 

“It is because I was shocked! I am okay… just tired, and sleepy. Can I go back first?”

 

Byul looked at his watch. Already midnight. He nodded. Pity to see her red eyes. 

 

“Yeah. You can go home first. Just left a bit more. I can finish it with others.”

 

“Really?” Saw his nod, she felt relief. 

 

“Thanks.” Both walked to the meeting room back. Yongsun quickly packed her things.

 

“Do you want to go back already?” Jung Shin asked. Yongsun just nodded within looked at him. 

 

“If that case, let me accompany you to your car. It is dangerous for woman like you to walk alone at parking lot.” Jung Shin suggested.

 

Dangerous? Walking with you was more dangerous!

 

“It’s okay. The parking is not that far.” She declined.

 

“No it’s okay, I can sent you.” Jung Shin still insisted to send her.

 

Yongsun quickly looked at Byul who sat in front of her, asking for help in silent. Understood her look, Byul got up. 

 

“It’s okay, Jung Shin. Let me send Yongsun down. I want to take my things in the car too.” Byul said calm. Yongsun thanked god in her heart.  

 

“Let’s go.” Byul said while took Yongsun’s bag.

 

“Bye, Hyejin-ah. See you tomorrow.” Yongsun took her purse and hung it on her shoulder. Hyejin just nodded. 

 

Jung Shin gritted his teeth. Angry. He missed his chance! Hyejin looked at Jung Shin. Clearly displayed a dissatisfaction on his face. Not that he did not notice his strange behaviour at Yongsun. 

 

“Can I ask you something, Yong?” Byul asked as soon they got into the elevator and pressed the down button. 

 

“What is it?”

 

“Why did you looked so scared of Jung Shin? Is he doing something to you?” Byul asked serious.

 

Startled by the question, she looked at Byul. She gripped her purse’s strap tightly. How could she told him that Jung Shin was her senior in high school and that man also tried to her before. She did not want to bring it up and remembered it again.   

 

“No. I just… not comfortable with him.” 

 

“Are you sure? But if he tries to do something to you… you need to tell me.”

 

She looked at Byul before nodded. They walked to her Volvo XC90 that parked in one of the box at the parking lot when arrived downstairs. Byul opened the door.

 

“Drive carefully.” He added. 

 

“Alright. You too. Don’t go back too late.”

 

A big smile carved on his face. So sweet, Yong!

 

“So, you care for me too. I thought you really hate me.” He joked in grin. 

 

Yongsun rolled her eyes, too lazy to answer him. She got into the car and placed her purse on the passenger seat. 

 

“Put your purse under the seat, Yong. It is dangerous to place it on the seat like that. There are a lot of cases nowadays. Break into the car to rob woman at night.” Yongsun placed her bag under the seat.

 

“Already keep it. Now…. Excuse me.” Just she about to close the door, Byul’s hand went up blocking. 

 

“When do you want to move in? Appa just called me yesterday said you agree.”

 

“Agree? I just agree to forget my intention to get divorce. That’s it.” Yongsun corrected him. 

 

“But I need you by my side. Pack your things, later I will pick you up.”

 

“No! You can’t do that!”

 

“Of course I can, Yong.” He bowed down to close their distance. “Because you are my wife. And I need my wife back.” Byul winked. 

 

“Good night, babe. Dream me later.” He kissed her cheeks and quickly closed the door tight before he got hit by Yongsun. Yongsun bit her lips annoyed. Byul grinned. 

 

“Bye, Yong.” He waved until the car disappeared from his eyes. He pulled out his phone, dialled and took it to his ear.

 

“Huh… Why do you call? Can’t wait to get here?” Hyejin asked on the line.

 

“Hyejin-ah… I think I fall in love with Yong.” He said without shame. He leaned at the wall behind. 

 

“That is what you want to say, hyung? It not that you think but indeed you are in love with your own wife.”

 

“But when I think back, actually I had fall in love with Yong since we studied. But that time, I had Krystal… So I denied that feeling.” 

 

“Thank god. Finally you admit it.” 

 

“Do you remember there was a time when I acted strange? Avoiding everyone especially Yong.” 

 

Hyejin silent on the line. Tried to remember his memory during study. “Yes. I remember it. After Yongsun noona assault case, right?”

 

“That time I got angry with myself…”

 

“Because you had fall in love with Yongsun noona. But at the same time that feeling was not supposed to be exist because you had Krystal. Am I right?” Hyejin cut his words. 

 

“Yeah.” It was what he thought that time. Feeling guilt to Krystal. Angry with himself because suddenly there was an unexpected feeling toward Yongsun, his own best friend. 

 

Since they were being friend, it never once crossed his mind and heart to fell in love with Yongsun. But when the feeling came from nowhere, he became angry. He loved Yongsun but don’t want to lose her because he had Krystal. 

 

“I used to have a big fight with Yong at study room before.” 

 

“I knew. And that was the first time I saw noona cried after four years being friend with her.”

 

Byul shocked. ”Yong cried?”

 

“Yeah. I came across with noona when I went up to the study room that day. I not even surprised when you love noona now. In fact I think the feeling had been there since long ago. You were the only one who tried to deny it.” 

 

“But even if I tell her my true feeling right now, do you think she will believes me? No.. She won’t believe it, Hyejin-ah.” He had been hurt Yongsun too much.

 

“You need to prove her that you really love her, hyung. But you need to consider her feeling too. That is more important.”

 

Byul scratched his head. What did he had to do to make Yongsun believe he was really sincere?

 

 

_____________________________________________________

 

 

 

“Mom… Dad, I have something to tell you.”

 

Mr Moon raised his head from his plate, looked at Byul. Slowly put his chopstick down. 

 

“What is that? Look like important.”

 

Byul breathe deeply before opened his mouth.

 

“I get back with Yongsun. And we want to build our life again.” Byul said calm. Seeing that all pairs of eyes looking at him. 

 

“What? Since when did you get back with her?” Mrs Moon’s voice began to raise. Her appetite had disappeared when heard those words. Why did she not even know that her son had met with Yongsun. 

 

“Not that long.” 

 

Mrs Moon pushed her plate away from her showed her protest. 

 

“I not agree. I want you to divorce her, Byulyi!”

 

“Mom!!”

 

“You really want to hurt me, right? You know that I never liked that woman.” Mrs Moon snapped again.

 

"Let him do the decision, honey. This is about their marriage." Mr Moon said sternly. If it was true that his son thought it was the best, he had no obstacles. After all, he liked his daughter in-law, she had no flaws. He was more than happy to receive the news. 

 

"But that woman not deserve to be my daughter in-law." 

 

"So what kind of daughter in-law do you want? Da Hee who is busy checking in and out of the hotel with men? Is that the woman you want her to give you grandchildren?" Mr Moon disagreed. 

 

"So you want to dispute my choice? Nowadays that does not mean anything. Even the good people can change their character behind our back!" Mrs Moon still refused to follow his decision. 

 

"Enough!!" Byul raised his voice. Mrs Moon looked at him. 

 

"Listen to me, Byulyi. How I had never accepted her since seven years ago, even now that thing still wont change. She is not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter