Chapter 10

Are we still best friend?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongsun quickly running down to emergency department of Seoul National University Hospital as soon as she received a call from her grandmother's helper who came to clean their house twice a week. She told that Grandma Kim had a heart attacked and had to call an ambulance to take her to hospital. After she had permission from her head of neurosurgery department where she had her clinical rotation to go out, she hurried downstairs. 

 

"Can I know patient Kim Tae Yeon admits at which bed?" She asked as soon she arrived at emergency department's counter. 

 

As the nurse told her where Grandma Kim admitted, she quickly moved her steps to the red zone's area. Her feet stopped when she saw at her unconscious grandma who was lying weakened on the hospital's bed. Her face was pale and showed lethargic. Several wires were attached to her chest from electrocardiogram machine and she also supported with ventilator machine. 

 

"Grandma... I am sorry.." She held her hands and kissed it with tears racing down on her cheeks. Last week, she had promised to her grandma to went home, but it had to be cancelled at last minutes as her supervisor wanted to meet. 

 

A few moment later, her grandma's helper came with small bag of Grandma Kim clothes.

 

"Ahjumma.." Yongsun hugged the helper, Mrs Choi who was also their neighbour. 

 

"Calm down, Yongsun." She caressed her back softly. 

 

"What did the doctor said, ahjumma?" 

 

 Mrs Choi pulled her hand to aside. "They said Grandma need to go on surgery as soon as possible because her heart was already blocked, Yongsun." 

 

She shocked and slowly sat down on the chair. She didn't know that her grandma has a heart problem and they also didn't have money to pay for the surgery. She felt disappointed because she never knew that her grandmother was sick over the time. She was only able to cry thinking about her grandma's condition.

 

She stayed with Grandma Kim until midnight and asked Mrs Choi to go back first. When she was sleeping beside Grandma Kim's bed, she was startled by a loud noise that came from ECG machine. 

 

Grandma Kim suddenly has cardiac arrest. She quickly pressed the red button at the bed to call nurse and within a seconds several doctors and nurse were coming to her grandma's bed. 

 

She saw that doctors tried to intubate grandma Kim and used defibrillator on her before she was pulled by other nurse to get out from the cubicle that was divided with blue curtains. 

 

"Nurse.. Can you help to save my grandma?" She asked with dripping tears. Her heart was in pain because she was a medical student but cannot do  anything for her grandma. 

 

"Can you please wait here, I will update you about your grandmother later." The nurse said before pulled the screen to cover her grandma from surrounding. 

 

After 10 minutes of resuscitation, a doctor came out to tell her grandmother was in critical state and needed to do a surgery as soon as possible. That time, just one face that crossed her mind, Grandpa Moon. 

 

Without wasting time, she took a taxi to the Moon's mansion. On her way, the rain started to pound heavily. 

 

"Grandpa..." Yongsun shouted while rang the bell many times under the heavy rain. Her presence was welcomed by Moon's maid. 

 

"Yongsun. What are you doing inside the rain?" She asked worried while opened the gate. Yongsun's body was trembled in cold. 

 

"Ahjumma... Is grandpa at home?"

 

"He is inside. Come in, Yongsun!" She pulled Yongsun's hand toward inside the house and took her to Grandpa Moon's office where he alwa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter