Chapter 23

Are we still best friend?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yongsun was laying lazily on the coach in the front of the tv in the living room. Since earlier, her hand had been busy changing tv channels, but not a single show had entered her mind. Her mother who just came out from the kitchen with tea, she glanced her before looked out at the window. 

 

“Where is appa and Yongjun, omma? I haven’t seen them since this this evening.” She asked. 

 

“They went to the workshop, Yongjun’s bike broke down yesterday. It’s hard for him to go to the campus if his bike broke down.” 

 

“Really?”

 

Mrs Kim peered at the clock that hung on the wall. “What time will Byul comes? I’m already done cooking.”

 

Yongsun frowned. “Why do you bother to cook for him, omma? Just give him water is enough.” She pouted. 

 

“What do you mean give him water only? No matter what, he is the only one my son in-law.”

 

Yongsun rolled her eyes. “Maybe around half an hour he will be here. Have appa already thought what to say to him later?” She asked her mother anxiously. She already received Byul’s text in early in this morning. 

 

“I think so. And why you haven’t get ready yet?”

 

She looked at Mrs Kim before glanced at her clothes. “I am ready, omma.”

 

“T-shirt and sweatpants?” Mrs Kim looked at her daughter’s appearances with her eyes rolled up and down liked a yoyo.

 

“Why? I think this is okay. At least I am wearing a shirt. If I wear a bikini, you are the one who gonna be shock.” She tried to make a joke. Seeing her mother already placed her hands on her waist and make a weird face, she knew that her joke was not funny.  

 

“Go upstairs and changes.” 

 

“I am lazy, omma. And it won’t take that long for Byul to stay here.” still moving giving the excuses. 

 

“Go. And. Get. Change.”

 

When the words being mention one by one, whether she wanted or not, Yongsun had to move from the coach. Lazily she dragged her feet to the stairs.

 

“Wear the dress that I bought in Japan that day.” Her mother added. She frowned at her mother as she just thought of changing her pants only. She wanted to argue but seeing her mother’s brows already raised. “Alright, fine.”

 

Just when Yongsun went upstairs, Mr Kim and Yongjun walked into the house. 

 

“Where did Yongsun wanted to go? Yesterday she said Byul will arrives at 6.” Mr Kim asked when he saw Yongsun walked upstairs. 

 

“Of course she wants to put some make up, appa… wants to greet her husband.” Yongjun giggled. 

 

Mrs Kim shook her head. “Is your bike already okay, Yongjun? I told you to drive the car to campus but you refused.”

 

“It to drive car. Just wasting time getting stuck in the traffic. Riding bike is better, omma.” He stretched his hand to reach a cup of tea on the table. 

 

“What are you cooking, dear?” Mr Kim asked while looked at the dining table.

 

“Just cook like usual.”   

 

 “Alright, here. I bought some watermelon.” The plastic bag changed the hands. 

 

Twenty minutes later, Yongsun came down. She looked at the dining table and frowned when saw at various dishes that her mother prepared. Did they wanted asked for divorce or not? Looked like they wanted to throw a party for Byul. 

 

“Are you not done yet, omma? There are a lot of foods on the table. Are we having a parting for Byul?”

 

“I almost done. Can you help me cut the melon, Yongsun?” Mrs Kim asked while still busy stirring the stew on the stove.   

 

Yongsun sighed. While cutting the melon of the counter, suddenly the bell rang. Instantly her heart beat insanely as if someone purposed her. 

 

“It must be Byul. Go to him, Yongsun.”

 

“Appa is there.”

 

“He will be shy. He never met appa before.” Mrs Kim took the knife from her hand. 

 

“Just go.” Yongsun pouted. She washed her hands before walked to the living room. Seeing that her father already standing at the front door. 

 

“Come in.” Mr Kim welcomed Byul with a big smile on his face. Yongsun hid behind her father, looking at Byul who was wearing a white shirt and dark jeans. 

 

Byul got closer to the front door. As soon as he arrived in front of his father in-law, he bowed respectfully. 

 

“Hello, appa.” 

 

Yongsun frowned as heard him. What appa? He was my appa, not yours. She rolled her eyes. 

 

“Hello, Byul. Let get in.” Mr Kim hugged his son in-law’s shoulder. “Get the drinks, Yongsun.” He looked at his daughter who was standing by the door.

 

Yongsun disappeared to the kitchen. Several minutes later, she walked to the living room with Mrs Kim. Quickly Byul got up from coach and bowed to the woman who was almost same age as his mother. 

 

“Hello, omma.” 

 

“Hello. Have a drink, Byul. I don’t know if it tasty or not, Yongsun was the one who made it.” Mrs Kim invited. Yongsun widened her eyes to her mother. Byul chuckled. 

 

Mrs Kim glanced at her daughter. No wonder it was hard for Yongsun to get rid of her feeling. Her son in-law was quite handsome, she praised him in her heart.

 

“My purpose asking for you to come tonight actually to discuss about both of you. I don’t mad at the things had happened because it was already passed. Maybe that time, you were still too young.” Mr Kim started. 

 

Byul listened in silent.

 

Mr Kim looked at Yongsun before turned to Byul. “Yongsun told me that she wants to get divorce, but you don’t want to let her go. Can I know why?”

 

Byul nodded. “I really don’t want to divorce Yongsun, appa. Yes, I admit I was wrong before, pusnished her without solid reasons. I ignored my responsibility on her. But I really beg you that…”

 

Byul looked at Mr Kim with full of hope.

 

“Appa and omma can give me a chance to correct my mistake to Yongsun all this time. I really sincere to take care of Yongsun.”

 

Yongsun frowned. This was not what she wanted!

Mr Kim looked at his wife confusedly before called her to discuss for a moment. Both walked to the dining room. 

 

Suddenly Yongsun got up and pulled Byul’s hand to follow her outside. She let go his hand when both stood at the yard. 

 

“What are talking about, Byul-ah? What chance? I want you come here so you can let me go. Not that I want to reconcile with you.” Yongsun snapped. Trying to control her voice, didn’t want her parents to hear her. 

 

“How many times you want me to repeat, Yong? I won’t never let you go! A millions times you asked for divorce, a millions times too I will refuse.” Byul remained firm. Still with his decision.

 

Yongsun held her began-to-throb-head. She sighed. Both of her hands raised up, trying to beg. 

 

“I beg you, Byul-ah. Please understand my feeling. I was too suffered these times. If you don’t want me to get married with Eric, fine… I promise you that I won’t marry him. But please… we part in a good way. If you want me to kneel in front of you, I will do it.” Her eyes were already glassed with tears. Begging for sympathy. 

 

Byul looked away. His heart broke to see her wet face, but in the same time, he also can’t agree with her request. 

 

“I just want you to give us a chance, Yong. I know that we can fix our relationship!” Byul said trying to convince his wife. 

 

“On what reason, Byul-ah? Don’t said that you love me because I really won’t believe it!” She knew that his heart only had Krystal. It was impossible for her to replace Krystal. 

 

Byul swallowed his saliva. Hyejin was right. It was not easy to convince Yongsun about his feeling. Yongsun had been hurt too much because of him. 

 

“It’s up to you. Even if I admit that I love you, you won’t believe me, right? But at least I am trying to save our marriage. Maybe we can be happy later.” He tried to reach for her hand, but Yongsun was fast enough to dodge him.

 

“Maybe? Maybe you said? Once was enough for me to sacrifice my life to marry you for grandma before. But what did I get? Seven years I was left alone. Live without husband. Had to hear people’s accusations. Do you think it would be easy for me to gamble my life again? How it is easy for you to say that you want to fix everything?” Yongsun was furious. She blurted all her feeling that had been hidden for so long. Her tears burst flowed down to her cheeks. 

 

Byul jolted. His tongue paralyzed. His guilt mounted high to the woman who stood in front of him. Tears that were once used to feel annoying, were now began to brake his heart.             

 

“Let me go, Byul-ah. Please…”  

 

He looked at her face. Still don’t want to let the woman go to other man. Not willing to imagine Yongsun was in other

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter