Twenty-Seven

Calligraphy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Your majesty, we are starving… No food, no clean water.. What are we going to do?” A villager asked. Sana watched as a crowd had formed on her grounds. All of them pleading for answers. Answers she didn’t have.

“I wish I had answers..” Sana admitted.

“How is it Duchess Mina’s domain has food and cleaner water?” Another villager shouted. A few joined in, agreeing with the original protestor.

“I’m not sure… I’ll consult with her today during our meeting..” Sana spoke truthfully. It was odd that Mina had the rations for something like this while she herself was struggling. She had taken the royal portions down by three-quarters just to make sure people ate, and yet it seemed as if there still wasn’t enough…

During their meeting, Mina was silent yet again, refusing to put her input where it wasn’t needed.

“How is it your domain has more food than the rest of the kingdom?” Jeongyeon asked her.

“I don’t eat.” Mina explained. “I eat as often as my people do.” She answered. “Which isn’t often.” She sighed. “But it helps them a little bit. We are working on restoring our crops but it’ll take a while to actually produce things for the entire kingdom. The soil was ruined.” She frowned.

“So you gave up the entire palace food intake.” Sana questioned.

“I took away mine. Halved everyone else’s. With their approval.” She answered.

Sana and Jeongyeon looked at one another, shocked that she had been able to do such a thing.

“My domain may be larger, but it’s less populated..” Mina sighed. “We lost a lot of people during our first raid.”

“The same with my domain as well..” Tzuyu agreed. “Our population went down by half.” She sighed, thinking of all the funerals that were in place already.

The two queens frowned at one another, knowing that they were going to have to make a lot of sacrifices just for their own kingdom.

 

Within a week, Sana and Jeongyeon had been able to work out a proper food distribution for the land, everyone getting the bare minimum to survive off of while they tried to get their kingdom back on its feet.

“You’re going to live with grandpa for a while okay?” Sana whispered while buttoning Aisha’s sweater.

“Why?” Aisha whispered, pouting at her mother.

“It’s safer there.” Jeongyeon frowned. “Grandpa can keep you safe until we figure everything out here.”

“You won’t be alone. Chan will be with you as well.” Sana tried to make her smile, knowing she liked her older cousin. Aisha pouted again, looking to her mothers for any kind of calming words.

“Your majesties, Duke Chan and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter