Twenty-Four

Calligraphy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Stalemate. Neither one moved for years. Both armies occupied the borders, waiting for the other to provoke the first gun fire. The king had drafted a compromise, stating that since his first born daughter was killed by his armies, he shouldn’t have a reason to kill anymore. After months of angry conferences between one another, they agreed whoever fired the first shot would be the start of the war.

Five years since Nayeon’s assassination, six years since Dahyun’s.

The king was still in mourning over his daughter, barely ruling his own kingdom without thinking of her. Sana had offered to step up and take over, but he didn’t want to see her as queen just yet. He wanted her to be the perfect little girl he saw years ago. Not the grown woman who took care of her own daughter with her wife.

“Father… I think it’s time you stepped down.” Sana whispered during dinner. “You’ve taken the kingdom as far as you could… Right now, you need time to grieve Nayeon..” She frowned.

Jeongyeon watched from across the table, watching as Sana interacted with her father. Aisha had decided to ignore them, not entirely sure what they were talking about.

“You’re not ready to be queen.” The king muttered.

“Father, I’m more than ready to be queen.” Sana glared. “I’ve been the one to draft all of your war strategies, Jihyo has been writing treaties for you as well as contracts. You haven’t had a single proper thought in years. I think it’s time for you to step down and let me take over as planned.” Sana had never felt more livid. She knew her father was slowly deteriorating and needed a break sooner rather than later.

“And let you be the new queen? What if a war happens as soon as you’re crowned the queen? Then what?” He spat.

“Then I handle it as acting queen.” She growled.

“And what makes you fit to be a queen during the war!” The king stood up from his chair, slamming his hands on the table.

“I’ve done most of my grieving! That’s what makes me fit!” Sana shouted while standing up from her own seat.

“Mommy…?” Aisha’s little voice squeaked from behind her. The king and her mother looked over at her, seeing the terror in the little girl’s eyes. Sana closed her eyes, letting out a small breath.

“It’s just something to think about.” She muttered before holding her hand out for her daughter. She walked out of the dining hall, leaving her wife and father to think about everything.

Jeongyeon let out a small sigh, looking down at her half eaten food. Sana didn’t want to be queen, but she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter