Twenty-Two

Calligraphy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m sorry but she’s in meetings all morning.” The guard spoke calmly, but with enough force to make Tzuyu back away. “She’ll be off on a business trip for the rest of the week, and asked that her afternoon and evening be cleared for preparations.” He explained.

“Fine.” She growled. “In the middle of the beginnings of a war and Mina’s over here pretending like it isn’t happening.” She muttered to herself while hanging up the phone. Nayeon watched her cautiously, afraid of what was going to happen. Sure, they had taken a front to the western kingdom, but they knew they could never celebrate this early.

It had been several months since Chaeyoung had been injured and sent home with Jeongyeon. Already over a year since Dahyun’s assassination and they were still losing their own people in their war.

“Tzuyu… You know Mina is doing her best to keep her own people alive…” Nayeon frowned while holding their son close. “She’s just trying to manage her own side.”

“No, she’s avoiding being in the palace all together.” Tzuyu snapped, looking at her wife. She watched as the older woman flinched, eyes widening in fear when her voice had been raised. The younger took in a deep breath, shaking her head. “I’m sorry.. I just… Mina’s like family… And her… Her rejecting that bond just scares me..”

Nayeon watched as the younger girl broke down in front of her. It was the fourth time in the past few months, everything getting to her all of a sudden. She set their son down on his little mat before walking over to comfort her.

“I know it scares you… But Mina is still grieving. She’s just going through the stages, and needs time. When she’s ready, she’ll come back and reach out to you.” Nayeon whispered, placing her hands on Tzuyu’s cheeks. “Okay? If you keep pushing, she’s going to run farther and farther away.” She frowned. “And I know you don’t want that.” She added.

“I don’t.” Tzuyu shook her head, wrapping her arms around Nayeon’s waist. “I just miss my sister…” She sniffed, tears rolling down her cheeks.

“I know… I miss her too.” Nayeon sighed.

 

--

 

The king paced in his study, hands wringing themselves as his mind focused on new plans. Sana was still out taking care of her new daughter, which meant his top strategist was gone for another few months.

“Sir. We need answers soon.. We can’t just keep playing defense..” His advisor frowned.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter