We All Grow Up

The Gift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara is driving her car at that moment. She finished managing an advertisement event in Incheon and headed to Seunghyun's penthouse in Hannam. It's Haneul and Haru's 11th birthday, and they will celebrate it in Seunghyun's place since they celebrated the twins' birthday last year in Dara's apartment in Mapo.

It's been three and a half years since Sekyung died. She fought her illness for more than a year before begging Seunghyun to bring her to their vacation villa, where she died. That day, Dara rushed to the villa when she received a call from Donghwi, informing her that Sekyung had passed away. She died while sleeping with Seughyun and the kids. According to Seunghyun, when he knew Sekyung was gone, he called Donghwi to inform everyone.

It was a mess when Sekyung passed away. Her mother demanded that Seunghyun must return all of Sekyung's fortune to Shin Empire, but Sekyung had other plans. Before Seunghyun's birthday, Sekyung made a written and video last will and testaments in the presence of her doctor, a psychiatrist, and a lawyer. Sekyung left her company shares to Seunghyun, her money in banks and stocks to her father, her jewelry and luxury items to her mother, her investment in a cosmetic company to Hanee,  and a trust fund account for Haneul and Haru. To Dara's surprise, Sekyung also left the car Sekyung lent to Dara and a business building that Haneul and Haru will eventually inherit once they finish university. Dara didn't want to accept it since she thought it was too much, and Sekyung's mother and Hanee glared at her. Still, according to Sekyung in the video, the building will someday be Haru and Haneul's property, and the lawyer, with Sekyung's authorization, will send the car to the junk shop if she refuses. Sekyung's mother wanted to contest the will but according to her lawyer, the video and written will are strong and incontestable. 

A few months after Sekyung died, when Dara was sure that Seunghyun wasn't in a bad state, she told him she was moving out. They decided that the kids should stay with Seunghyun for their safety since the media was curious about the twins. Dara explained to their children the situation they had. It was hard initially, but they adapted to their new family setup. Since Dara was still studying, she only saw her children during weekends, but they never failed to have a video call every morning and before sleeping at night. Dara and Seunghyun's relationship also progresses. From co-parents, they became close friends. They sometimes hang out with their friends or drink together at their respective homes while children sleep and talk casually about work or life.

Dara arrived in the luxurious apartment complex. She went to Seunghyun's private parking garage. She gathers her stuff along with her gifts for Haneul and Haru. Going to the elevator, she saw Donghwi carrying two boxes of cakes.

"Can I help you with that?" he asks, pointing at the huge shopping bag she's carrying.

"It's okay. I can manage." Dara said as they entered the elevator.

"Mr. Choi told me you were the leader of the major event in the company you're working. How was it?" Donghwi asks. Dara smiles, "It turned out well. I'm glad that everything worked according to our plan."

"Of course, it will turn out well. You planned it," Donghwi said, and he smiled at her. Dara smiles back. The elevator door opens. Donghwi leads the way to the foyer and inputs the door's password. 

"Miss Park is here," Donghwi announced.

"Mommy!" Haneul screams. Dara smiles upon seeing her son, who looks smart in his baby blue polo shirt and dark blue pants. Dara crouches down and opens her arms for her son. Haneul hugs her and kisses her cheeks. Dara returns the kiss by kissing her son's cheek.

"Happy birthday, my prince," she said. 

"Thank you, Mommy." he said, "You should see Haru. She's wearing a pretty pink dress!" 

"Mommy?" Haru calls. Dara looked at the doorway and saw her daughter in her pink dress walking toward her. She looks beautiful in her pink dress. Haneul steps aside to give her sister space. 

"Aigoo... My princess," Dara said. Haru hugs her mother. Dara pats her back. Haru is still shy and sweet. "Happy Birthday, my princess,"

"Thank you, Mommy," she mutters, "Do you like my dress? Aunt Hyeyoun bought it for me,"

"Mommy loves it," Dara said happily. "Are grandma, Aunt Hyeyoun and Yeonjun here?"

"They were here during lunch. But they left since Yeonjun Oppa needed to go to cram school. Grandma is tired. But she said she would love to have tea with you sometimes,"

Dara just nodded, "I'll give her a call tomorrow," Dara stood up while holding her daughter's hand

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter