Everything Will Be Okay

The Gift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara watches her children at the back seat of the car she's driving. It's been a week since the last time the children saw Sekyung. The children miss Sekyungso much that with Seunghyun and Sekyung's permission, Dara is bringing the kids to the hospital for a visit.

"Mommy?" Haru squeaks.

"Yes, my Princess?"

"Can we pick some pink flowers for Mama?" the little girl politely asks. Dara smiles because of Haru's sweetness. "Sure, baby."

"Mommy?" Haneul calls. 

"Yes, my Prince?"

"Will Mama be okay?" the boy asks.

Dara didn't know what to say. As far as she knows, Sekyung's condition is getting worst, and she only has a year or two to live. As scary as it is, Dara knows that their children will be devastated when Sekyung leaves.

"Mama is doing her best to be okay, Haneul. That is why we are visiting her to cheer her up and give her hugs and kisses, so she gets better," Dara says. She heard her son sigh. 

They stopped by a flower shop near the hospital and bought the prettiest pink flower bouquet for Sekyung. Then they went to the hospital. Haneul insists on carrying the flowers while Dara is holding Haru's hand. When they arrived at Sekyung's room, Dara noticed that Sekyung was wearing light make-up, and her hair was neatly tied in a ponytail.

Haru let go of Dara's hand. She runs beside Sekyung's bed. Seunghyun helped her to get up to Sekyung's bed. Sekyung opens her arms for Haru, and Haru hugs her Mama immediately.

"Aigoo, my Haru and Haneul visit me," Sekyung said while hugging and patting Haru's back. They can all hear that Haru starts crying. Haneul walks towards the bed and shows the bouquet to Sekyung.

"Mama, we bought you pretty flowers," Haneul said. Sekyung smiles at the little boy. "Thank you, baby. It's so pretty." Sekyung says.

"Minsuk cooked some abalone porridge for you. And some eggrolls and kimbap that I made," Dara stated as she placed the packed food on a small table on the side. She glances at Seunghyun, who looked like he didn't have a good sleep for days.

"Go home and rest, Seunghyun," Dara said. Seunghyun gives Dara a side look before looking back at his wife. "I'm fine," he said.

Dara sighs, "We'll be here until sunset. Just come back later," she said.

"She's right, Yeobo. Get home. Come back later. Bring me some of those pastries from that pastry shop in Mapo. I'm craving for those,"  Sekyung smiles weakly as she continues to pat Haru's back. 

"Fine. But call me if something happens," Seunghyun sternly said.

"I'll call you if Sekyung needs to go to the bathroom," Dara said in a deadpan tone. Seunghyun glares at her but Sekyung giggles at Dara's sarcasm. Seunghyun looks back at his wife, who is laughing happily. Haru looks up at her Mama and smiles upon seeing her laughing. 

"Go, Seunghyun!" Dara sternly says. Seunghyun huffs before walking towards his wife and kissing the top of her head. He pats Haneul's head. He glares at Dara before he walks out of the room.

"Ohh, God. The two of you are so funny," Sekyung said.

Dara shrugs, "He's stubborn. I know the children got their stubbornness from him." she paused. "How are you, Sekyung?"

Sekyung sighs, "Tired. The radiation therapy is tiring for me but having the kids here comforts me. Thank you for bringing them here," Sekyung thank Dara. Dara gives her an assuring smile. "So, shall we show Mama the kimbap we made?" She went to the table to unpack the food. Haneul starts to tell Sekyung how he helped his mommy wash the vegetables. Sekyung listens to the little boy while cradling his sister.

As they have their meal, Sekyung enjoys the moment that the kids are alternately telling her stories about what they did at home. Dara is helping Sekyung eat since she noticed that Sekyung's hand was shaking when trying to have a spoonful of porridge. 

Later, Sekyung asked Dara to bring her to the hospital's garden area because she feels suffocated since she's been inside that room for a week. Dara asks permission from the nurses, and they say it's okay and even lend her a wheelchair. 

In the hospital garden, Haneul and Haru are playing with another kid. Dara was sitting on a bench while Sekyung was in her wheelchair.

"I'm glad they are here," Sekyung mutters. Dara glances at her. She huffs like she heard Sekyung saying something ridiculous. "Of course, you're their Mama. They want to see you, and they miss you,"

Sekyung smirks, "Yes, I'm their mama. They are mine as much as they are yours and Seunghyun," she says before looking at Dara. "Dara?"

"Hmm?"

"Thank you. Thank you for letting me be a 2nd mother to them. It felt so good to have such wonderful kids like them and be called Mama. Thank you," Sekyung said. Dara smiles before scooting closer to her before taking Sekyung's hand to hold.

"I'm glad you're their Mama. You loved them like your own, and I'm so grateful for that." Dara paused, "And I'm sorry for what happened to Seunghyun and me in the past,"

Sekyung shook her head. "It's all in the past. What's important now is now and the future." Sekyung places her other hand over Dara's. "Can you do something for Dara?"

"What is it?"

Sekyung took a deep breath before speaking, "When I'm gone..."

"Yah!" Dara scowls at her.

"Listen to me, please," Sekyung said. "When I'm gone, make sure Seunghyun wasn't alone. Let him be with Haneul and Haru when I'm gone. I don't want him to be lonely and mourn over me for a long time. I want him to move on and have a good life. Maybe meet someone. I just... I don't want him to be stuck once I leave," 

Dara feels sad by just the thought of Sekyung dying. She's a beautiful person who has been nice to her and her kids ever since they meet her. Dara stares down at their hands before looking back at Sekyung.

"Seunghyun will be fine. Haru and Haneul will always be with him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter